How Do People Perceive You?

When someone meets you for the first time or sees you on the street, how do you think they perceive you?

Do you present yourself in the way you want to be perceived?

Most Helpful Guy

• Without sounding like a broken record, I'm from Nyc, where most people did their own thing and never really nagged anyone for doing anything different. Now when I came to Jersey, many people start eyeing me up and down, treating me differently, looking at me and I never knew why. Well then when I went to maryland with my best friend and his girlfriend, I was talking to one of her friends and while we was in DC. People were looking at me, a few people asked me to take a picture with them, waves and smiles. She explained that I look eccentric, different, unique. I knew my style and clothing was different but not that different.

So people usually assume I'm either a fashion designer or some sort of person who thinks he's above people. I never imagined people would assume or give me that look that I am like that. I'm actually the most down to earth person I can think of. My Clothing is just a preference in what I like, but I give off a laid back and calm feel, which is what I want for people to feel when they are around me. I'm not used to having people shout from their car to say things " Nice hair" or having people pull me to the side in a store and ask me if I'm into Cosplay/anime stuff. I'm not the attention type, but my brother says " just be grateful and appreciate it, nod and smile" Oh well.

What Guys Said 20

• Really depends on what mood I'm in. I've had people look back and literally start running when they saw me on the sidewalk, and I've had people randomly come over to me and strike up a conversation as well. Usually the latter being f***ed up in some way or another. Not sure what that says about me...

• Hmm, I don't know. I seem to have a really open personality and I have no trouble approaching strangers to ask a question or to talk. The people that get to know me say that I'm a friendly, easy to get along with kinda of guy, and the people that I don't quite know yet seem to think I'm just an average weird Joe.

As far as I know, I haven't really made enemies, so that's all that really matters in the end. And I do not present myself in the way I want to be perceived. I just do my own thing naturally, and let the peers be the judge.

• one dude I used to know said I was eccentric

• God, I wish I knew.

• They think I'm an idiot, not in a bad way, just a clown who loves a laugh...

(Think I'm going to go with Gabriella, that bird is tasty, maybe too tasty?! :) !?)

• Probably think I'm really strange.

Im kind of a taller guy who doesn't talk hardly ever but I'm smiling all the time so I guess most people would find me kind of strange.

• Hoo boy.

I know when I'm just walking down the street people don't see me in a positive way. A lot of people say I look rough.

I think I present myself fine, I don't get why people say I look rough haha

• Before I open my mouth

- Shy/timid: I'm non confrontational as in I don't start things with people

- Scared of women: I'm not in every girl's face that have a nice butt

- Religious or spiritual: Because I don't come off as aggressive as Deydey and Rayshuan? They never see me being an atheist coming. Especially since black atheist aren't very common.

- Super smart : I'm lost here.

- Incapable of doing anything other than playing video games and working with computers.

- Weak: I don't look as mean and intimidating as LiI Ron? I don't know.

After I open my mouth

- Different or weird

- Cool: Some people think so others don't

- A label that people try to give me until they until they find out more.

• I don't care how I'm perceived, so yes I'm presented in that way. How do people see me? Each probably sees me a little differently. I don't present an image so different parts of my personality come out at different times. If you are not that exposed to me you probably see me differently then other people do.

• quiet, socially-awkward but willing to step out of my comfort zone

• Shy, funny, a bit nervous, weird. And eh they see of me what I let people see of me, maybe not what I really want, but it's how I am unless I get really comfortable around you.

• People always say I'm laidback or chill. Even people I've only known a few hours. I definitely do present myself in that way and I'm glad.

• Sarcastic

• Usually scream & run

• Im a bad person and I present myself how I am if people don't like it then that's their problem

• Calm, quiet, Creepy, scary, serious I mean I think it's really just the way I look and not how I come off to be honest :/

• Probably strange...due to a number of things, my music tastes, and the way I look/dress.

• Apparently I look like an anime character.

That or a triad member.

• They're like "Damn, this boy's a G"

• they think I'm half-baked and there right

What Girls Said 18

• I think when people first meet me they think I'm innocent and shy. They think I'm a nice person overall and ask me to hang out or go over to their place to eat. Overall they will find that I'm a truthful, honest, very nice person and a person who is willing to listen and help out a friend they will keep me as a friend. I will be open and honest about my opinions but I will also be open minded in accepting all kinds of people. I don't talk much, but I do like to have fun and that does not always mean going to clubs and partying. I can have fun by just going out to eat, to a movie, playing cards, going swimming etc.

• I'm not sure, but from what people say probably quiet, nice, shy, goody-two-shoes, sensitive, smart, vegetarian lol. It's not way off the mark (well, I'm nowhere near vegetarian), but I think it's really funny when people are afraid to swear in front of me, or they assume I never swear or ever do anything remotely wrong. Even little insignificant things, like a few days ago I mentioned I had the cliff notes version of Hamlet and everyone was shocked. "I wouldn't expect that from you". . .okay, sorry to disappoint? lol.

I'm usually myself around people, but that includes being quiet, so people fill in the blanks I leave and sometimes assume things that aren't true. It's nothing very harmful though, and once they get to know me it's all good, so it doesn't bother me. I don't try to present myself in a certain way, I just stick to being me and peoples' misconceptions generally disappear over time.

• I always get told that before people talk to me, they think I look really cool, but that I come off intimidating.

I don't really understand the whole intimidation thing because I'm usually smiling and laughing, things that I find make others more approachable. AFTER people talk to me, they say that I seem really sweet and friendly, that I'm funny and genuinely care about people, intelligent, that I articulate myself well, even that my laugh is contagious.

• the orange hair intimidates them ;)

• LOL even when my hair is a relatively normal color! Like a natural-ish red, or blond or something. It's just something people always say, haha.

• A lot of people think I'm a bitch.

ex: I was touring my friends private school and I came into her math class and my friend told me one of the girls said "Is that your friend? She kind of looks like a bitch and acts like a bitch." But when that girl actually got to know me she thought I was quiet lol.

My ex friend and I were sitting down and having a discussion about some useless sh*t and she told me how I come across as a bitch to everyone and that when we hung out with guys she could tell by their facial expressions that they were annoyed with me and pissed off, that was the last time we talked haha.

I've had people not like me for absolutely no reason, didn't even give me a chance. I thought that was bogo. I honestly am a nice person, but admittedly very selfish. I care a lot about other peoples feeling and am a sensitive person and I think that's what most people see when they get to know me... but a lot of times they still think I'm a bitch and I can't really keep a friendship. I also have a good sense of humor, well at least I think so. And people think I'm funny and weird lol. I don't have many female friends so this answer was directed towards females mostly. For guys they probably think I'm weird haha.

Sorry for the long answer. :/

• It depends. If I'm just out and about or in a group while meeting someone for the first time I'm normally outgoing and easy to talk to.

No one seems to talk to me while I'm reading in public. men will NOT come near me when I have certain kinds of books in my hand haha. its great if you want to avoid getting hit on while taking the metro or bus at night. Just carry one of Steinem's books or even V. Held, MacKinnon, and de beauvoir works ESPECIALLY well lol

• A lot of people think I'm pretty. But for some reason no matter what I wear, I give off this good girl image. Hah...sheesh if only they knew.

• Depends on the situation. I've gotten all of the following: A total prude, super shy and quiet and reserved, often older than I actually am (I'm constantly mistaken for my 12 year old brother's mom, and he's taller than me!)... and then add the fact that I was homeschooled, I don't drink, and I get along with my mom and little brothers, and you've got... something that doesn't represent me very well, haha.

There's more to me than meets the eye... :-)

• Well..I do drink...and I would like to know what is "more than meets the eye" hmmm...well..I am 54 years old...married for 16 years...totally heterosexual...main fetish is pee...love to fish...you may friend me if you wish...

• I honestly don't know, but I bet they either think I am interesting or weird.

I have pink hair and I wear whatever the heck I want, which ranges from oldies granny type clothing in soft tones with lacy trim, and long flowing skirts; to leather boots, metal jewelry, in all black tattered; to just lose boyish zombie Spiderman shirts and long shorts and painted converse. And sometimes I mix some of the styles, and people say I pull it off nicely :D

It all depends on my mood but I am sure people who see me on a daily basis think I am weird, which is not unusual.

But I make sure my demeanor is very friendly (I am very docile), I already scare off enough people as it is (especially boys )':

Also I am very quite at first but once you get to know me the party in me comes out ;)

• Interesting or Weird? Sounds good to me..FR in transit...

• I tend to act shy or nervous, but its obviously not how I want to be perceived. I seem to have two personalities, the one I have around strangers which is really quiet, shy and awkward, and the one I have around family and friends which can be pretty loud and crazy. To be honest I don't really feel like 'myself' unless I'm alone, its the only time I really feel comfortable enough to relax and just be me. I always feel like I'm faking for some reason.

• I always get a bunch of different things

stuck up

weird

outgoing

friendly

high maintenance

stupid

rich

very young

i guess I just have multiple personalities

• One of the following:

-Arrogant

-Shy

-Funny

-Rude

-Mean

-Awkward

-Nice

-Hard Working

-Young

-Cut Throat/A Threat

-Etc

I do not present myself in the way I want to be perceived. I wish I did. I think people don't know what to make of me, so they make stuff up.

• People usually think I'm stuck up, awkward, a good girl, shy, mean, serious & scary.

I know this because I ask people.

But after they talk to me they say I'm nice, funny, smart, outgoing, caring, cool, and unique.

And no, I don't really present myself in the way I want to be perceived.

• well from what I'm told, people usually think I'm ditzy and/or "innocent" when they first meet me. I don't know, I just present myself like me. I really don't know how I want people to see me, I never thought about it too much?

• They probably see me as a sort of bitch, in all honesty.

• I usually come off as distant , shy , quiet , innocent.

• energetic. and yeah, first impressions are very important to me.

• People always say they thought I was arrogant & elitist when they didn't know me.

• I don't know..I feel I am shy,funny,humble (-_- hate to say ) , honest and love..? :-S