Why are ear gauges popular?

Why are they popular? Don't them seem a little strange? And I'd imagine there is no way of reversing the process and so in the future you might regret the choice just like tattoos.

Most Helpful Girl

• "strange" is subjective. there are some cultures around the world where they stretch earlobes out drastically, not just here.

some people like them, that's why they are popular with those people. its pretty simple...lol

acting on whether or not you regret a decision in the future...well that separates the "i live in the moment, no regrets" people and the "i think everything out, and I may not do something I want because of the consequences" people. different mindsets work for different people. although, I don't think this is something very serious, personally. if you want to tat it up or stretch your lobes out, go for it. I like the way it looks sometimes on some people. diversity is beauty. I like that there are people who see their bodies as canvasses and have beautiful or interesting features. its nice to mix it up. just my opinion.

What Girls Said 11

• I wouldn't exactly say they're popular. Maybe in some social circles. I have my ears gauged, and I love them. I always have jewelry in, so it's not like I'm ever walking around with gaping holes in my ears, lol.

Mine are at 00g, which some people call the borderline of no return. I'm staying at this size IN CASE I ever decide to take them out and go back to normal. They'll never shrink back totally to normal ear piercing size, but they'll go back small enough that no one would notice the difference with normal earrings in. If I were to go any bigger, there's no guarantee they would shrink back to relatively normal size.

And I'm not really the kind of person who regrets things. The things that I do to my body [gauging, piercings, tattoos] aren't things worth regretting, in my eyes. Everything I do and have done, everything I've experienced are parts of what make me the person I am today. I like who I am, so I can't regret my past. When it comes to tattoos, that artwork represents facets of my personality and memorable times in my life that are part of who I am. I see nothing to regret there. =]

• haha I'm going to re stretch my ears actually I had them at about 00 in high school, and LOVED them, then I one got infected, so I took them both out. I liked them because of the tribal reference and also because I have small ears and they look so beautiful and sexy when they are stretched, and the jewelry is so beautiful and unique, and I live by haight and ashbury where they sell loads of the jewelry and I love to shop for them there. A perfect day out is picking up a new glass piece and some stone gauges made by a local artist... and chatting about art and stuff with like minded people, its a culture thing, its like a secret society, you see someone else with gauges and you know they are on the same page as you. lol, its a statment. rebellion. conecting with our roots, our tribal side (tattoos, gauges, expressing oneself, art, music) Gauges are a symbol for rebellion and freedom.. at least to me:D

• one negative, is tears, I was trying on clothes in a dressing room and my big horned gauges got snagged on my shirt, and sleeping and just everyday things, you have to be extra cautious... o yeah and ear cheese... lol, but that's how fellow gaugers(lol) relate, we can recommend products to each other and even create jewelry and sell it to each other, also you borrow your friends smaller sizes, I have a pair from an old friend and from an ex boyfriend which are actual bullets! and the process is fun,

• you always have the next size to look forward to:)

• I actually really like the smaller ones, but the gigantic I-could-wear-your-ear-as-a-bracelet ones are just weird looking.

As far as taking them out, it depends on the person. Super small ones will almost always go back to normal/close to normal. Larger ones will shrink some but never all the way back. I've heard of 2g being the "point of no return" but I've also heard of people at 00g going all the way back to 6 or 8g. (if you don't know how gauge sizes work, a standard ear piercing can be 20g or 18g, and from there, the smaller the number the bigger the hole).

I don't think it's really any weirder than any of the other things people do to their bodies. There's a lot of really odd looking tattoos and piercings out there. It's just how some people choose to express themselves. If they are happy with it, then that's all that really matters I think.

• I don't know why they got so popular. The small one's look really good on guys, but just small.

The freakish tribal gauges that you can stick your arm through are disgusting - those I don't understand why people get.

Maybe for attention.

And your right - later on in life, your ears or mouth or whatever isn't going to snap back into place, your earlobes are going to be like stretched down to your knees lol.

I think gauges are just something that got associated with being cool or a bad ass - and everyone likes to believe their cool or a bad ass...

But bad asses don't usually follow societal trends anyway :)

• Getting gauges, at least in my area, seems like a trend. I can imagine a lot more people (teenagers) doing it as the 'new cool' rather than because they are "bad-ass" (On a side note: I feel that word is not correctly used in most cases). I could be wrong of course but that is my belief for now.

• It's definitely a trend - cool and bad ass are relatively the same - just bad ass is more so to emphasize.

But yea idk, it caught on amongst more of the hipster teens.

• What I meant was that most teens do so to be part of something rather than standing out. Although not always true, but in most cases I would say yes.

• They are hot on guys if the aren't too big.

Hot: link

Not: link

• b/c it caught on with a lot of ppl. I think they're ugly especially the ones that are really big

• Yeah I definitely think they are attractive or guys or girls. Either silver or wooden and nothing bigger than a size 7/16. And they can stretch back if they are not too big. I have had them for 6 years and I love them.

• I think tats are hotter. I was never a fan of them. it depends on the girl I guess.

• First of all, no offense if you have them. But anyways I like tattoos and piercings, but I think gauges look bizarre. And painful lol. So I'd say they're actually a turnoff for me.

• I have no idea. I personally don't like them at all.

• I have no clue. I hate them.

What Guys Said 2

• Some just like the look and some it's some sort of weird pain thing. I wanna do this to someone with gauges. link

• To be a rebel.