How can I gain weight?

I am 6'1 but I only weight 140 pounds and my BMI is 18.6 which is borderline underweight. Anyone got any ideas.

Most Helpful Girl

• There are some good pointers already from people with similar experience, bit to clarify, weight gain is just as hard as weight loss depending on your body type. What does your current diet include and do you try to eat carnal or have you looked seriously at gaining weight. When you're trying to gain weight, you obviously don't want to race into a carb overload or just eat a bunch of food. The more you eat, the more you speed up your metabolism. This is where nutrition plays an important role. Stay away from junk food, empty carbs don't help you at all, they're just increasing your colesterol and possibly giving you a high blood blood sugar level. You want to eat Whole Grains ( unless it is completely whole grains, it is not whole...multi grains and grains are not to be any part of the ingredients otherwise you are cheating yourself) eat high proteins, they also take a longer time to break down and of course vegetables. Now the trick with nutrition is that your body needsva certain amount of different minerals and vitamins to function properly. There are many brands and prices and labels telling you they are the perfect supplement.

Let me explain how your Diet is your health. If you feed your body proper nutrition, it can function as it should. Clearly there is food tampered with many chemicals and hormones and pesticides...the list just keeps going on. The healthiest way to go is to eat the freshest and plainest food you can find. You might not be the next iron chef of America, but for your proteins, fish, chicken, lean beef and pork...I gave them in the order of leanest to fattest , are your meats, eggs are good as well, and a great source of protein. Find 2 fruits you love, apples, grapefeuits, grapes, pears, strawberrys, bananas, oranges...there are many of these that are great. Have some nuts, Almonds are the best choice, walnuts are great also. You always went to keep your body "energized" if you don't have time to eat a meal...don't eat a huge meal instead of 2 meals and a snack. It might sound like you're on some type of diet plan, but fact is your body works a certain way, and maybe people that invented those plans know a little something about the way a body utilizes nutrition. 2 almonds and a Apple are the perfect inbetween meals for example. Stay away from empty carbs...if you absolutely must have a little candy or sugar or something to cheat...pick one day of the week that you are going to let it be a treat. Don't binge on every thing you could possibly dream, but keep your meals the same, and let yourself have one meal of choice. You will realize that eating healthy will make you feel better. Once you have nutrition down, muscle building and proper nutrition combined will help you gain good body weight. As part of your exercise program you should do multiple types of strength training. Try suspension training TRX...its body weight exercises that help build core strength. If you're new to weight training its a great start or Yoga.

What Girls Said 8

• First, answer this question. Do you want to gain weight? Muscle? Or both? That is really where you have to start. If you want to simply gain weight, here is some information.

To gain weight, you need to consume more calories every day than you burn with physical activity. You can also gain weight by increasing the size of your muscles. Start with a calorie calculator to determine the number of calories you you'll need to consume every day to gain weight. You'll probably need to increase your calorie intake, and you can do that by eating a larger volume of food or by choosing foods that are energy-dense (high in calories).

Either way, you should choose foods that are nutrient-dense instead of settling for high-calorie junk foods. Nutrient-dense foods include fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Foods that are both energy- and nutrient-dense include legumes, nuts, seeds, olives, and avocados. You may also want to increase your consumption of dairy products, meats, seafood and poultry. Use seasoning blends, herbs and spices to add flavor and aroma.

Your meals should be balanced with the right amounts of protein, carbohydrates and fat. Choose a portion of a protein source such as meat, poultry, fish, seafood, legumes or tofu and serve with a side of green and colorful vegetables. Add a serving of starchy foods such as potatoes, sweet corn, rice or pasta as energy-dense carbohydrate sources. You can add a few extra calories to your vegetables and starches by topping them with butter, olive oil, sauces or cheese.

If you prefer to snack on smaller meals throughout the day, choose energy-dense foods, such as trail mix made with dried fruit, nuts and seeds. You can eat sandwiches made with peanut or other nut butters, or use meats and add calories with slices of cheese or avocado. Creamed soups are generally higher in calories than clear broths. Add more calories to creamed soups by adding a spoonful of dry milk powder.

• I would say, make your meals bigger.

Try not to exercise so much if you do a lot, so if you run every day, I would cut that down to running only three times a week or something.

Try to eat bigger meals, so bigger breakfast, bigger lunch, bigger dinner. And try to add more sugar to your food and just basically like everyone else has said, eat more. I hope you gain weight and things start getting better for you! :)

• just eat a lot of cookies and sweets then you will gain weight like I did... ugh

• I was having a really hard time with this too. Slowly but surely I've gotten my weight to go up. I started taking supplements, like with a bunch of nutrients and like 400 calories. It adds up after a while. so.. Good luck!

• Well if you workout muscles weigh quite a bit but eating lots and doing minimal excersise could get you weight at well.

• hit the gym ;)

• eat more, go to the gym more

• Protein + Weight Lifting.

What Guys Said 12

• Try an exercise program that includes weight lifting. But take it easy, you're so skinny you could break something lifting any serious weight.

• You can increase your carbohydrates and work out. You can also increase your fat intake somewhat. However, I would not recommend sitting around and eating lots of these two items without the work out.

• Include a lot more protein into the foods you eat (possibly buy some protein powder if you aren't getting enough)

And lift those weights to gain some muscle that will add some pounds. But remember to switch from different body parts each day to give your muscles time to recuperate. Such as work your chest one time a week. You can go to bodybuilding.com, it is a great site that you can join with lots of different lifts you can do and plans you can follow. I would suggest it.

• I've been in your situation, and still am somewhat.

I'm 6'4'' and three months ago I weighed 143 pounds. Now I weigh 172 pounds and have a pretty low BMI, not sure what it is but it is very low.

Pretty much it's a combination of heavy weights and lots of healthy, high protein, high carb, low fat foods.

Zyzz was my inspiration and he wrote a book on weight gain called 'Zyzz's Bodybuilding Bible' and I followed it to the letter and am pleased with the results so far. Look up his transformation, it truly is inspirational, but sadly, he has passed away RIP

This is a pdf file of his bodybuilding guide, which is the same one I downloaded:

link

I can guarantee if you follow this, you should see results over time. Hard work and patience always pays off!

Hope I helped :)

• 0|0
  • Take up boxing. You'd be in the light-welterweight weight class at 6'1. Nice.

• Eat more and start weight lifting. Drink protein shakes to up the caloric intake, maybe even two a day.

• How old are you?

IIRC men don't stop growing until their early 20s, you might have grown in one area but just not filled out yet. BMI stuff is unreliable for people who aren't fully developed yet.

• wow...I weigh like 165

• Start lifting and eating.

• Pretty much like me .

I am 5'10" and 135 lbs .

• eat out a lot and don't work out, itll catch up to you. and taking protein can backfire on you because once you stop you won't get the same results, I don't recommend it

• Well.. DUH! Of course if you'll stop taking protein, the results won't be the same... but...

Muscle tissues break down much much slower than it takes them to grow, so as long as you keep normal protein intake and regular workouts, you won't get in worse shape!

• well her said gaining weight and not muscle exactly, its better to gain fat then build muscle from that fat but to gain muscle from thin air takes much longer. I know because I have done it myself, when I was 16 I weighed 125 ibs but know I wight 165 pounds and only have 9 percent body fat