Are beautiful people 'selfish by nature'?

What do you think of this study?

It says that people who are more attractive happen to be more selfish and less co-operative.

link

"As people with symmetrical faces tend to be healthier and more attractive, they are also more self-sufficient and have less of an incentive to co-operate and seek help from others. Through natural selection over thousands of years, these characteristics continue to the present day."

Do you agree or disagree with this study? Why?

Most Helpful Girl

• Disagree.

I don't disagree that beautiful people may be more selfish/less cooperative in comparison to "unattractive people", but I strongly disagree that this is because of nature.

If it's true, it's because they are used to having things handed to them, or things made easier for them. Let's be honest: attractive people have life easier than unattractive people. That's undeniable. When you're "spoiled" (or granted concessions) frequently by society, you're likely to become more selfish, and less willing to cooperate with people.

Beautiful people may be more selfish because the way society strokes their egos. Not because of some inherent trait they possess.

What Guys Said 7

• One can go very far in this !

_______________________I quote:

Lombroso became convinced that the "born criminal" (reo nato, a term given by Ferri) could be anatomically identified by such items as a sloping forehead, ears of unusual size, asymmetry of the face, prognathism, excessive length of arms, asymmetry of the cranium, and other "physical stigmata." Specific criminals, such as thieves, rapists, and murderers, could be distinguished by specific characteristics, he believed. Lombroso became convinced that the "born criminal" (reo nato, a term given by Ferri) could be anatomically identified by such items as a sloping forehead, ears of unusual size, asymmetry of the face, prognathism, excessive length of arms, asymmetry of the cranium, and other "physical stigmata." Specific criminals, such as thieves, rapists, and murderers, could be distinguished by specific characteristics, he believed.

_____________________________

End of quote, read more here: link

• I think the point about the self-dependence/self-sufficient traits is the part that rings the most truth about it. When you're an attractive person and have more choice of mates, then naturally I think that would give you a sense of power and yes, ego.

But like tohrment said, the study might have missed out on WHERE/WHY these attractive people get their traits from.

• IMHO They're just spoiled because they get nearly everything way more easily than other people and they grow up in the idea it's due to them, because they're good looking. That usually starts age four.

• I don't think beautiful people get everything easily. Some of them maybe but definitely not all.

• *to disprove

• "Maggie-G

53 minutes ago

I have a symetrical face and I wouldn't say I'm selfish at all " link

• HUMANS are selish by nature. You have only noticed the attractive ones.

THAT is selfish.

Case closed.

• I don't think so

• I don't know. Am I selfish?

• I'm beautiful and selfless. Maybe I'm just incredible

What Girls Said 5

• I don't think we can claim that until more studies are done and are shown to corroborate what was found in this one. I don't know what their sample size was, and even if it proves to be true overall, as said, they "warn against jumping to the "simplistic conclusion" that facial asymmetry or testosterone can be used to predict a person's behavior ". It's not wise or fair to judge people with symmetrical faces as selfish before even speaking with them. I don't know how they jumped to the idea that attractive people are like by nature either, or maybe I'm missing something. I'd think environmental factors would contribute to this more than evolution, or at the very least they would consider it important to take into account.

• I have a symetrical face and I wouldn't say I'm selfish at all but I was when I was younger. But I am nothing like that now and I'm 20 and when I say younger it was like at age 5-7 where most kids are selfish at that age.

• It is also very hypocritical to judge someones character based on how their face is structured. Its that same saying as judging a book by its cover, its just not right. People should get to know each other before making irrational observations like that. I just hate everything about hypocitical studies like that.

• Maggie didn't say that, Jacquesvol.

• That really proves that you are a hypocrite and have anweak arguement therefore saying things that I did not even mention. I never said anywhere that this was the case, you are obviously either blind or crosseyed to have seen that in what I just said, again, I couldn't be bothered with people like you, waste of my time. Go find someone else to make weak agruments against, and learn how to construct one while you're at it.

• I think there is definitely some truth to that idea.

For some beautiful people, they have gotten used to relying on their looks to get what they want since they were very young. I think the idea that they have a right to ____ (men, women, object, ect...). So when they come face to face with the harsh reality of this world that no one really has a right to anything, some of them will go to extremely selfish lengths in order to get just what they want. For example, the hot guy who's an a**hole and goes around stringing many girls along and building false fantasies in their mind just to get what he wants - in their pants. The beautiful woman who breaks hearts and makes men believe she loves them just to get what she wants - his penis and his money. Some attractive people simply just realize how much of a tool their good looks can be in this superficial society we live in and they become skilled at using it. Just look at Kim Kardashian. She's made millions at the expense of many poor people all for being attractive. She didn't need any talent or even an outstanding personality to get what she wanted; fame and money. She recognized she had a tool, an attractive appearance, and used it to the fullest.

• always depends on the person. I am consider beautiful by some people, but I'm not selfish. It is case by case.

• thats not true by the way ...

although mybe some of these attractive people would acg like that because of there self esteem leading them to the wrong pass ...but we can never generalise such a rule