Why are black girls so stereotyped?

I'm a black girl and it's just been bothering me that lately I've been hearing from a lot of guys that they just hate black girls. Seriously they go into a whole list of reasons why, and it just irritates me. I live in a predominately Hispanic city (mostly Dominicans) and I grew up around them so I'm used to hanging around with Hispanic girls, over black girls. The black girls don't really like me because my skin is lighter, and they're always going on about how I'm this "light skinned Spanish wannabe bitch." which isn't the case at all. On top of that this guy I recently met (who was black) decided I was a loud, ghetto, uneducated bitch just because I was a black girl (seriously he knew me for like 5 minutes). So what's up? Why do black guys (and guys from other races) hate us so much? We're not all the same, and what's with the feud between light skinned black girls and dark skinned black girls because I really don't get it...

Most Helpful Guy

• The stereotypes also exist between black people though. Like for instance I live in Pittsburgh which has a lot more mixed couples than other places I've lived in the past. I once asked a black girl why that was, and she told me "Black guys like the white girls because they know a sistah won't stand for the way black men treat their women but a timit little white girl will sit there and take it."

Stereotypes exist for a reason. They got to be known because they either are, or WERE at one point true among the majority. And to be honest its really sad when you work for the Police Department (like at my old job) and you see the ratios of arrests and violent crimes when doing paperwork, and you realize that these stereotypes are largely true. You can say what you want to defend it but during my time working for the Pittsburgh City Police Department I filed enough arrest records to learn that there is a link between majority black neighborhoods and the higher crime rate. It's a fact that anyone who's ever had access to Police demographics and arrest records will verify. That was a little bit off topic though..

Regardless of what I said, offensive is offense. Treat other people with respect. I try to keep from prejudging people, but I'm going to be honest. I could never date a black girl IF she talked using the slang vocabulary that stereotypical black girls use. If she talks normal, and sounds educated, I'm good. But if not, then no.

What Guys Said 4

• It must just be the ignorance in your community, they don't want to look further therefore they will not change at all. Hopefully when some of these people get older and more mature they will get over these stereotypes and see you for the person you really are, because your still young and there's much more for you to see.

In Canada it's nothing like this, everyone seems to be accepted the way they are but then again we have every single stereotype in the world.

Anyway I've seen some really cute black girls at school, and at where I worked there was this really cute black girl but she probably already has a boyfriend. I'm Asian as well so I know how it feels to be stereotyped but the problem is no one can figure out what type of Asian I am and always guess. I'm mixed with different Asian ethnicity's and also part white :\.

Asian's are also stereotyped by the colour of their skin, in the summer when I get darker, people think I'm Indonesian or Filipino, and during the fall and winter when my skin gets lighter, people think I'm Chinese (which is partially right). Hate how they stereotype me because of my skin but it's not a major problem in my community because they are pretty accepting.

• I think you're just associating with really weird people.

That chick basically called you a "race traitor" for hanging out with Dominicans.

Who does that?

I really can't exlpain the dude.

But unless he said to you that he thinks you're ghetto and loud JUST because you're black,

I must question, would you deny that you're ghetto or loud?

• No definitely not, in fact I try to avoid the girls who are like that because I just can't deal with their attitude. But the guy basically said that all black girls hang out together in the same clique and then said to me that I was probably ghetto and loud like them despite the fact that around school I'm always with the girls who he said were the chill girls and not the loud girls.

• I'm sure you can come up with numerous reasons WHY they would outcast you because of that.

But you won't come up with any GOOD reasons.

• Dont feel bad they're just putting their insecurities on you! I used to kinda deal with the same thing..girls said I thought I was better because I have naturally long hair (dumb!)

• Hahaha! First of all, Dominicans are black. Black means of African decent. Most of the West Indies falls under that category. So that is just hilarious to me because they are SO ignorant. Secondly, I'm light-skinned, so I feel your pain. They are probably jealous or insecure because they may think that they are not as attractive of you because they don't look as "exotic," which may not even be true. And loud and ghetto? That's just a messed up stereotype that gets further escalated by the media through movies and other forms of entertainment. You're dealing with some really uneducated people, and that's where most racism comes from.

• Dominicans are not black. They have some african descent as well as spaniard and taino indian descent. So to lump all Dominicans (I am one) into one category because of one race they might originate from is disrespectful to our cultural as I am sure others would agree. Thank you :)

• WOAH! No one is disrespecting the Dominican culture. It's a fact. You may not be black culturally, but most Dominicans are of African decent. How does that take away from your culture?

• its not you that's defining the stereotype, its the other black girls that are

just be you, that's what people want and like

What Girls Said 5

• Ahhhh, self-hate at its best.

Black guys put down black girls for being black, and black girls putting down other respectable black girls who aren't hood rats.

It's sad, really.

I honestly think that the black community is SO brainwashed into thinking that black women are disgusting and undesirable and that being lighter skinned makes you better.

But darker skinned black girls aren't the only ones to blame...I'm a darker skinned black girl and I've come across MAAAAAANY lighter skinned girls who automatically think they're better than me and rub my skin tone in my face like its supposed to hurt my feelings or something...

I never understood black guys hating on black girls...like "fool, YOUR MOM is black, so you hate her?" And it always seems to come from the DARRRRRRKEST black guy that makes fun of a dark skinned black girl.

I know it might sound dumb, but that's why I'm on a SERIOUS break from black guys (at least the ones in high school)...just gonna wait until college when I run into some intelligent NON-IGNORANT black men...haha

Just ignore people like that girl...they're the kind of people who will NEVER go anywhere in life, so they really don't matter at all.

• Ignorance and stereotypes. For every loud hoodrat there is probably 3 or 4 of us who are not like that, but normal black girls get ignored because we don't confirm stereotypes.

The media also plays a big part in it. Light skinned or mixed girls are shown as trophies. I hate watching music videos and it'll be some black rapper with nothing but non-black girls and maybe 1 black girl in it.

Also it carries down from slavery. Light skinned people were seen as "better" because they were closer to whites and worked in the house, and dark skinned blacks were out in the field and seen as less than.

• It's just so weird that I'm being labeled as a uppity bitch for something that happened more than 300 years ago. I'm just hanging with girls who get me and accept me for who I am, they just happen to be Hispanic.

• It's because the loud hoodrats as you describe them stick out from the crowd while the ones who aren't like that and are more "civil" blend in, so nobody notices them. But when the loud hoodrat does something that gets everyones attention, people start to think "wow, black people are like that!"

• You can thank the portuguese for that!! King John he made slavery become what it did in america... in africa they had servants and slaves made as a result of war or just work.. but they weren't ill treated.. so when king john came and asked for slaves the leaders did not no that theyd be treated as lower beings..

• THANK YOU THANK YOU for the love of god being a mixed girl, and speaking intelligently and having manners as well as self confidence... haha in middle school GOOD GOD! girls of a darker complextion always... said I was "trying to be white".. " you just tryin to be a white girl" well excuse me .. BUT WHAT THE CRAP DOES THAT MEAN? there are intelligent as well as ignorrant in all walks of life.. so lets all just calm down! I'm not white or black.. and why do people limit themselves to those 2 colors or well white black chinese spanish there's so many different backrounds and mixes and cultures.. and no one is black or white.. look at somebodys skin you know do they look like black paper? white paper? there's reds,oranges, yellows, pale colors, browns, caramel.. gee...z why not be classified in flavors LOL just had to put that out there

• because we are AWESOME... I laugh when I hear those stereotypes because black men failed realized all of the horrible stereotypes that exist about them. We are more likely to be successful than black men, but stil they down US...Thats what is weird. I admit, I am a dark skinned black woman, and I understand your pain. Contrary to your situation, I was always teased in school because I was dark. Even though I am very beautiful, people would always consider me ugly just because I am dark. One guy didn't even see my face and said oh she is aight...then when he saw my face was surprised at how beautiful I was. I use to cry myself to sleep each night because the kids at school would tease me so bad about being dark. I would pray to be something else and ask God why he cursed me so. Not until I went to college and noticed how beautiful it was to be black. I embrassed my skin color. I noticed how a woman like me, was a hot commodity...black , beautiful, and intelligent. I went to prestigous colleges where I saw a hand full of smart black women like me, who were focused on acheiving their goals. I met women from all different cultures, jamaican, african, haitian, etc. I learned not to allow ignorant stereotypes to harm me because I am wonderful whether a black or non black man realizeds it or not. It hurts when someone generalizes you into a category, not knowing the potential that you truly possess, and its sad when its a black man ( who are also victims of harsh stereotypes). Ignore them because they are ignorant. Be the best you can be. I don't know why people feel this way about us, but don't let it ruin your life by concentrating on it. Those people who are hating on you are not paying your bills or doing anything to benefit you, so their opinion doesn't really matter. I have learned that when people say negatives about you, They want you to be hurt. They want to feel bad and cry. It shows them that they have done their job of tearing you down. Don't let them have the joy of tearing you down. When they see that their words don't effect you, and that you remain remarkable and fabulous even in the rain of insults, that's when they respect you.

• I'm Haitian myself and for a few months I hated myself and what I was because no matter how nice I was, these guys would just put me down and it was because of my race...something I couldn't change. Now I'm in a relationship with a Dominican guy, and the black guys are mad, the black girls are calling me a sell out, and I just tell them all they can screw themselves. I love and respect myself for who I am.