Why do women who are fat get labeled curvy?

OK before I start I don't wanna offend anyone, just wanna get other peoples opinions on this lol!

As a curvy girl myself I would say it means having like a hourglass figure, but all the time I see blatantly obese people saying there proud of their "curves" just because you big does not mean you have curves!

Marilyn Monroe she had curves, where has someone like Rosie O'Donnel does not.

Ha rant over :)

0|0
11|6

Most Helpful Girl

• Political correctness, glorification and such I guess? I have not heard of obese people using curvy thou, but I live in another culture so I might not have the same view. I describe myself as curvy (23 inch waist 38 inch hips) but I am 108 ilb, which means I am almost labelled as skinny from a BMI point of view but curvy from my measurements so maybe it depends?

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 6

• It is indeed just fat women trying to feel good about themselves.

A man says he likes curvy women he means like Scarlett Johanson.

A woman says she's curvy she means like Hurley from Lost.

3|1
    1|0
  • Honestly I never heard of an obese girl being labelled as 'curvy'. This website was the first place I heard it...

1|0
    0|0
  • Fat girls call themselves and their fat friends curvy.

They can hardly describe themselves as thin or athletic, can they? So they can say 'fat' or they can stretch and say 'curvy'. So they say curvy.

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't really have anything to add other than I never really thought about taking the definition that literally. Your rant entertained me though.

0|0
    0|0
  • curves don't jiggle!

1|0
    0|0
  • very true. it pisses me off. most fat women can't deal with the fact they're fat and that's why they feel the need to defend themselves/call themselves curvy. they exactly know they aren't curvy. they live in a fantasy world. keep dreaming, fat females ;)

2|2
    0|0
    • Ha fat females! eww :P

What Girls Said 10

• I don't think "curvy" fits any particular weight, really. I know curvy when I see it, whether its on a 5'1- 115 pound girl or on a 5'5- 170 girl.

Its the distribution of proportions that make her look curvy. Rosie O'Donnel isn't "curvy," but Queen Latifa in this pic link certainly is curvy.

And you can disagree with that, but I suppose that doesn't really matter seeing as to how "curvy" is a construct that society has not specifically defined. It's entirely subjective and varies greatly person to person, and I find that to be something I respect when when I disagree.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a form of sugarcoating.

They are saying "curvy" because it makes them feel better about themselves.

0|0
    0|0
  • i hate it too when they are over 300 pounds over weight and gross they say they are curvy they are not! they are rolls of fat. and need to get healthy they use that word to cover it up and pretend everything is OK when its not.

0|0
    0|0
  • they are in denial and no one really wants to be called fat so they just call themselves curvy so that they don't have to feel like sh*t

0|0
    0|0
  • ha! I agree with your rant.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's politically correct & allows them to feel good about themselves

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes because they really are curvy. I think you can be fat and curvy and skinny and curvy. But fat is unhealthy no matter if it's in a curvy shape or boxy shape.

0|0
    0|0
  • it's just more politically correct to be curvy rather than fat

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know but I guess some people see fat as curves and yes boobs and ass are curves...and fat women have it but they don't have a smaller waist usually...

I barely have boobs or An ass but I think people see me as curvy because My waist is much smaller than My hips and I have thick thighs I don't know If I am curvy but I am definetely not square shaped...

I agree Marlyin Monroe is curvy and guys would think She is chubby for nowdays standarts...

Beyonce and Scarlet Johanson, J.Lo are Clearly curvy...

0|0
    0|0
  • For the same reason black people are labeled African American even though you usually have to go back like 10 generations to find someone from Africa. Political correctness.

0|1
    0|0
    • Only in America, I think black people are just called black in every other country