Girls, guys: do you feel confident in swimwear?

Girls, guys:

Are you the sort of person who loves being in, on or next to the water in swimwear? Or is it something you dread?

Girls do you have a drawer full of bikinis and consider them a major fashion item? Do you pair a bikini top with shorts for hanging out in?

Guys are you comfortable in speedos - do you think you look good in them, or would you never be seen in them?

If you're uncomfortable wearing swimwear is it because of the parts of you that are exposed, or is it more that it shows all the outlines of what's covered up?

On the flip side, if you like swimwear is part of it that you like to show off your hot body?!

Most Helpful Girl

• Definitely confident in swimwear. The thing I really love about going to the beach, and I actually find it kind of amusing, is that there's all this hype with the media and magazines to be perfectly toned and "get that summer body now!" sort of thing, but when you actually go to the beach or swimming facility there's people of all different shapes and sizes and for the most part - no body really cares. They're just there to have fun with their friends and enjoy the water.

Anyhow, I don't have a ton of swim suits myself since I'm the type of person to find a couple bikinis or what not that I really really love and then just stick to those for a while. I have a pretty good shape now thanks to yoga, diet, and *some* exercise lol, but I've been on both sides of the spectrum (too skinny as well as a bit overweight) in the past when I was younger and both times then I was somewhat self-conscious when I was out swimming. So for me that was kind of an awakening that it doesn't matter how "skinny" you are, you can still feel uncomfortable; the best thing to do is find a balance that works for you and figure out what size YOU feel best at. But I do know that sometimes it can get a bit hard when you're at a pool and there's tons of young guys there scoping out the females. For the most part I'm usually fine with that stuff, but I'll admit that one time there was a group of about 6-8 guys who were literally just gorgeous - real model material sort of thing, and I do remember being a bit influenced by the whole "do I look good?" aspect.

But in regards to the "flaunting" bit, I think I have a pretty good shape for the most part, but I don't like to gloat about it or "show it off" as that's not what I'm about, and besides, there will always be someone who has a better body. I like to think that I'm just really happy to be able to be proud of how I look and not be ashamed of wearing a bikini since no one should ever feel like they're not good enough to put one on. It's one of the best feelings in life when you're genuinely comfortable in your own skin. For the record though, I looooove the 50's style bathing suits and bikinis, I think they're just gorgeous. Like Marilyn Monroe's white one-piece that she had on in that one beach picture. Who can't say that that's gorgeous? :)

Oh, and a great alternative to bikinis for girls who aren't quite confident enough to try them out yet, is monokinis. There's some really great ones and they do wonders for helping hide a bit of a stomach.

What Girls Said 19

• Hmm, a long question.

* I like swimwear because I like the ocean/beach and you need to be wearing material that will dry quickly, won't bog you down in the water, etc.

* I won't wear a bikini and cut-offs unless I'm actually headed to the beach/pool. "There's a time and a purpose" for everything. If I have to walk around and run errands before heading out to the water, I wear a t-shirt over the bikini top. There's no reason to walk around like that, no matter how good you know you might look.

* Yes, I have a few bikinis as well as a one-piece. More of the former since they fit well. I wear whichever one suits my mood. I always carry a terry pull-over and a pair of well-worn jeans in case it gets cold, etc. They come in handy if I'm taking a walk along the boardwalk in the early morning or late afternoon.

* No, I don't dread wearing swimwear. I'm pretty fit. While I'm not a show-off, I know what looks good on me and what doesn't. It's just a matter of using your discretion. I would only feel self-conscious if someone was being creepy and ogling.

• i have a good body so I like to wear my bikini. I got my belly button pierced as a reward after I got the flat abs I wanted so badly :D so yup, I like to swim because that's really the only time people see my piercing. I have yet to find non-slutty crop tops and such

• I feel very confident in bikinis and such just because I like my body a whole lot.(:

"Girls do you have a drawer full of bikinis and consider them a major fashion item? Do you pair a bikini top with shorts for hanging out in?"

No I only have like 2 bikinis, and I only really wear one of them if I can help it. No I don't hang out in them, that's pointless.

"On the flip side, if you like swimwear is part of it that you like to show off your hot body?!"

Honestly in a way yes, but you wouldn't be able to tell..I don't go around flaunting it or whatever.

• So, I love the water, but I HATE swim wear. It's seriously my archenemies. I can never find things I'm comfortable in, and shaving is more a must than ever. Plus, I work up a sweet farmers tan during the summer so I just look weird whenever I do have the chance to swim. Also, most cute things don't stay in place and most things that stay in place cut in like crazy. Sidenote: I bike a lot so I have bleached thunder thighs, fabulous. Bottom line I'm a late night swimmer at the gym.

• I think of swimwear just like I think of lingerie. Its about the same..only swimwear is a bit less cheeky! However..I am a nudist and I do know how to embrace my own body, and so swim wear or no wear means little to me. When I do wear it..its more of a fashion thing, really..as long as it accentuates my body and not hide it..I'll wear it. I'm sure every girl is different tho because not everyone is accustomed to see themselves as they truly are...If only everyone could accept their unique shape and not be ashamed of showing it..I believe that makes a healthy person healthier, both male or female:)

• Hey a UK nudist! What's that like? Were you brought up that way?

• I don't do bikinis. I need a bit more support up top if I want to do anything except lay there.

I despise swimwear shopping. Despise. But when I find one I like its like gold.

I rock stuff like this: link

They magically bring out my better physical features, aka bust and legs/ backside (which never gets any credit) while hiding everything I don't like so...when the gems are found. Totally worth it.

• Exactly, I'm the same as you. I'd have to REALLY hunt down a swimsuit I like, and it would boil down to something like the link you posted. I think that's SO cute, and probably the only kind of swimsuit I'd feel comfortable in around other peope, haha, because it flatters the right areas and camouflages other areas I'm less than thrilled with.

• I love being in a bikini! I think they're fun and I find them to be very flattering. I do like to show off my body - I'm young and I'm thankful that I like the way I look.

• i realized its kind of pointless to hate my body. I just work with what I have and I love it. of course I would want a bit flatter stomach, less hip, ect, but hey, what can I do about it. so I'm comfortable-ish with wearing bikinis. THE ONLY ANNOYING THING: I have to be careful when jumping into the pool bahaha

• I don't even own a swimsuit, lol. I don't like showing off that much of my body to people I don't know. I'm okay in a bra and underwear around someone I'm WITH, or changing quickly around friends. But if I'm going swimming, I just stick with like a tank top and little shorts or something.

• I will only feel self concious if there is a lot of guys at the pool, just because I know they will be staring and check out my goods and not really care if I like it or not. I would not care at all if I only was with my friends, then we can play in bikinis all we want! Water fight! Water fight! :'D

• well I'm not at all comfortable in swimwear. I love to swim and thank god I have a pool in my backyard because otherwise I would never go. I mean if I'm going swimming in public it's gonna be shorts and a tee shirt that's how uncomfortable I am with it lol

• I'm indifferent, I guess. I don't mind wearing a bikini.

Since its fall and freezing outside, the thought of a bikini makes me cold D:

• I feel confident in bikinis and I don't consider them a major fashion item: I only have 6. I spend all summer next to the water in swimwear, I so love going to the beach!

• I hate being in swimwear. definitely.

• i hate pools and the beach,so I don't really wear swimwear that often,but I'm comfortable in it,i'm okay with my body.

• Hahahahaha. You crack me up.

I haven't worn a bathing suit since I was 8.

• No its quite the big deal to me, all my life I avoided going to the beach because of the damm bikini I have 4... They are quite small and I always used them with shorts gosh I don't like all the exposure to strangers if I was really hot I would love to wear them, not the case...

• I have one bathing suit and even though I have lost weight to a more healthier weight and my body is smaller, I still don't like to wear it; I lack a flat tummy and toned legs. They are just so stubborn and don't want to go away so now I just eat less because I don't want to gain.

• I don't like being in a bikini because I hate my cellulite on the back of my thighs, so I always wear a sarong. I like showing off my stomach and tattoos though.

I own a few bikinis. Less than 5 for sure. Like I said, I don't love wearing swimwear.

What Guys Said 9

• I definitely wouldn't wear speedos - waaaaay too revealing! They would show hairy legs and too much down there. I prefer swim shorts because they're not as tight and therefore don't show as much. Plus I wear quite long swim shorts (down to about the knees) because I don't really like my thighs either. I can't remember the last time my legs above the knees were exposed in public lol. Probably when I was about 13 or something! I feel I have a kinda big ass too, no swimwear is good for dealing with that :(

• I don't do swim wear because I don't like going to the beach, or pool for traumatic reasons with people.

If its a private pool then I don't mind at all, I used to be less confident shirtless but now I don't make a deal about it anymore, I don't mind just wearing swimming trunks.

• I'm not even comfortable in swim trunks because I'm a little overweight so speedos are a no-go. If I lost weight I'd be more comfortable wearing them though.

• Hell no I'm not. Just go to the gym, eat right, sleep good...it all pays of. Definitely has for me. Because I give some time each week in the gym, I feel a boost in confidence in everything I do. Including going shirtless at the pool.

• Haha just look at me I love it. But speedos... no I do not like my d*** hanging out and flopping all over the place. Plus it just looks weird.

• I feel OK, I don't have a hot body, but I'm fit and so wearing swimwear is not a problem.

• I wish I was more confident in the swimwear, but I'm definitely not the worst out there. The longer I'm in it it the more tan I get and the better I look anyways...

• I love being at the beach and showing off my 6 pack;P but never in a speedo...

• I'm comfortable with my body, and I think I look good in board shorts. I wouldn't ever wear a speedo in public though. My junk is pretty prominent as it is. If I even started to get hard I might get arrested, and even soft I'd get way too many looks and people would either think I'm showing off or gay or both.