Should I take my nose ring out for an employment agency meeting?

I'm meeting with a woman at an employment agency this Friday. I have a small stud in my nose and was wondering if I should take it out. I don't yet have a retainer and I don't want the hole to close. Also, I was thinking I might leave it in and then bring up the subject with her, asking if employers in the area are generally OK with facial piercings or against them (I know people with multiple facial piercings who work in prestigious law firms, so you never know).

Most Helpful Guy

• As a general rule, I would say take it out.

These sorts of things tend to be given as unwritten societal rules, but people get judged for not knowing or not conforming to them. Much like wearing a suit to an interview.

However, since this is just an agency and you plan to bring it up with her anyway, that might be more acceptable. If you were to say nothing, the woman might just note in the file something like "No customer facing applications." and leave it at that, but it would restrict the sorts of positions they'd put you in for.

But by bringing it up to her, you're letting her know that you are unsure of the situation, and implying (at least I hope) that you'd be willing to compromise your facial fashion for a job.

• Of course I'm willing to compromise on taking it out for interviews, but out of convenience I'd rather not if I don't have to. I also would like to get a retainer if I will have to remove it so it doesn't close.

Thank you for your answer, you always give good ones. : )

What Guys Said 6

• You have to ask?

• Yes. This isn't actually a job interview, it's an interview with an employment agency. I want the woman I speak to to be aware of the fact I have a facial piercing so she can give me her view of whether or not I should take it out for actual job interviews. The place I work now allows facial piercings, as well as many other places in town I'm aware of. I want to know if any of the jobs she has available for me allow piercings as well so I won't have to take it out. I will, of course, if I must.

• Take it out. Earrings are fine, but nose rings are not appropriate in most workplaces.

• better safe than sorry. I say yes.

• I have one earring and I always leave it in, then I bring it up upfront with the interviewer. Yes, it doesn't get me the job sometimes.

But this is my way of defying the world and it's pathetic rules. Imho, people that don't hire me are losing out.

Just saying :/

• Take it out for the interview but be sure to let them know about it

• yes when you get the job put it back in

What Girls Said 3

• Take it out. And don't ask them about it either cause that could affect their decision as well. You could always put it right back in when you're done with the meeting. I don't think it'll close within a few hours.

• yes, take it out

• Yes.