Why disparage one girl to lift up another?

think about when we talk skinny v. curvy.

those who like skinny say curvy is another term for fat, that they're lazy, don't work out, stuff like that.

those who like curvy say skinny girls aren't real women, that they look prepubescent, are anorexic, etc.

why can't skinny and curvy coexist without the disparagement? why can't both body types be recognized as legitimate and womanly?

i don't have any curves but that doesn't make me a child, it's just my genetic makeup. why am I not allowed to feel like a "real woman" but curvy girls are?

Most Helpful Girl

• I feel the same way. I've always hated that "Real Women have curves" b.s. because like you wrote, not all women have curves. So then we should assume that they are imaginary?! And the other hand its not right to hold up a picture of, say model Karlie Kloss and announce that this is what every woman should look like. I think a real healthy message to send to all women that we come in all shapes and sizes and as long you eat well and exercise, you're right size. Be it a size 2 or a size 12.

What Guys Said 6

• The real problem here is that people who are in denial about being overweight to the point of having increased health risks as a result of it use terms like "curvy" and "voluptuous" to describe their figures, when really those terms simply mean a figure that has a more exaggerated hourglass shape to it. Then someone comes along who wants to set the record straight on what does and what doesn't constitute "curvy" or voluptuous" is being demonized for it. Why? What is so wrong about wanting to keep a clear definition on words to avoid confusion? They're not trying to hurt anyone. They just want to make sure people keep straight on what the definition of the word actually is. But no, we demonize them because it's more politically correct or appropriate to do that and allow others to live in denial than it is to want to keep clear communication.

• There is one saying at home: what is one the nightingal, is for others the owl.

2. A Rubens women is the symbol of a woman, because, she has big brests and a big butt. A lot of estrogen makes such. I could also ask: Do you like baroque?

The fashion is changing all the time. Once it is baroque, the next it is another one.

So let me say, find your personal taste, but don`t make a general judgement.

• I agree completely. Self confidence doesn't seem to be influenced and encouraged on kids as they grow up, but coddling is. I'm not sure if you are meaning those with preferences cutting others down, because that's just them seeing their own perspective only. but if you're meaning how try to cheer some people up by dissing others, then yeah it's a "pat on the back" thing for people so they don't feel so bad.

• Why is there "yin and yang"? And why can't they merge into one... Not possible, but need both to exist. It's just the way it is I guess?

• Curves just look more womanly. Just as height for a guy looks more masculine.

• Because "curvy" used to be the "ideal woman" way back when..now the media says the "thin" woman is. It's all how you let the media affect you.

What Girls Said 2

• I'm a girl, so probably you wouldn't be interested in my opinion. Anyways, I think that everybody has their own standards for an ideal partner. Take me for an example, pale guys are so not my taste, since I find exotic guys much hotter! But guess what? I fell for a pale guy whose beard is RED! How sarcastic :) (karma I guess) My point is don't let it affect you, who cares what people have to say?! You may be not a guy's taste but if he loved you truly, you'll be the most beautiful girl he has ever seen!

• my daughter and her friend are about as opposite(one very petite and one curvy) as you can get but both are beautiful and they do well at this but its only because they have differing types of guys they like (there's no competing) and they both appreciate the others attractiveness because it's so different and if a guy likes one of them then he's probably not into the other one.

i can't say that all girls are this healthy about it though it's sad that girls have to be this way :\