Do you think people see themselves as more attractive than they really are?

I was reading this article that said one way people overestimate themselves is by seeing themselves more attractive than they really are. I didn't think this was true because people seem to be quite modest when it comes to their looks and most people have insecurities and flaws they hate. So what do you think? Do you think people see themselves better looking than they really are?

And I also found it interesting how they asked a whole bunch of people how attractive they think they are. I mean who are these scientists to say the people aren't attractive? lol.

link Here's the link.

Most Helpful Guy

• I will start by sayin: I think I am hot therefore I am hot. At the end of the day your confidence will sell you more than any subjective eye, much less some psedo-scientist who wrote in a magazine. Now before you write me off as a egomaniac read on please.

One thing I will never do, is admit I am less good looking than any other man (with exception of maybe adam levine). Cause it will give me an excuse for not approaching someone, ohh I think she/he is too good looking for me, she/he must be looking for x-type.

When you do this you have officially made your self a chump. You are trumping your self, you are placing a value on your self as if you are a Jack and she is a Queen and you need to be and Ace or King to have her. It makes no sense, one person may think your ugly another may think your beautiful, the gist is, don't start by assuming you are something or you have a certain "specific" value, cause it is always subjective.

If he/she doesn't like you, don't assume your ugly, that is their opinion. If she/he does like you, don't assume you are hot. That is just their opinion as well. As they say it is all in the eye of the beholder and if you want to sell your self ego will do a better job than anything else.

Currently I am dating a woman that is taller than me, she is blond, has a model like figure, she has the perfect curves. Beautiful green/blue eyes. Do you think I would be dating her if I thought of my self as inferior? No I wouldn't, guaranteed. Anyway whatever that is just my opinion. Hope it helps someone, if not, well ohh well.

• People always say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And it is to a certain extent. But there are people who almost EVERYONE will agree is attractive like Jessica Alba.

• I don't think she is attractive. There you go, point proven.

• I call b.s.

What Guys Said 4

• they probably compared the scores people gaves themselves with scores others gave a picture of person number one . the scores for themselves were probably higher than the scores the group gave them . the psychological researchers won't rate the persons themselves lol

• Yeah but it's still stupid.

• wel attractiveness is not objective trait , it's subjective , it's how others perceive someone.. so I think it's a methodological good design actually...

• No, if anything, they think they look even worse.

• I think you can say the ones who usually receives the most compliments tend to think they are than the others who dont.

• Another bullsh*t article spreading insecurity to already troubled teens!

Do ugly people see a beauty when they look in the mirror?

• I like the first line :)

What Girls Said 4

• Maybe some people see themselves being more attractive than they are, and then there's those who are attractive but don't think they are. If someone does see themselves as more attractive than they are, it's probably not a bad thing - it may help their self image.

Personally, I think I have good days and not so good days in the looks department. A lot of it depends on how my skin and hair happen to look on any given day. And sometimes on the bad days is when I get a compliment. I never argue with a compliment.

• I just don't think people see themselves as more attractive than they are. I know good looking people who don't think they're attractive. A ton.

• So essentially... I think I'm not attractive, which means I'm actually REALLY not attractive..

I don't like this article.

• I know I don't like the article either.

• I think people give themselves more credit than they deserve, and that goes for a lot of things. Maybe in the past people were more modest about themselves, but these days everyone's full of themselves.

I don't understand where people get the idea that in order for you to see yourself as anything less than attractive you have to hate yourself and have low confidence. Not everyone is physically attractive. Just like not everyone have good personalities. If you are 5'2 you don't say you're tall when you're really not. Sure someone who is 4'9 may think you're tall, but you're short to most people, which makes you short.

Thinking you're something you're not is a horrible way to go about coping.

• I am 5'2 and I think I'm short. But people still say it's not and I'm like bullsh*t.

• i believe some people who are unattractive do think they are more attarctive then they are. but then again...people have different views on what they think beauty is. but I could care less what their outside is...what gets me is that their personality is awful and I mean awful and on top of that they think they are sexy. I mean if you wanna believe you are sexy go ahead wrk what cha got but um...if you're just an awful person I think you should just shut up. lol.