Shaving...All red and bumpy, with occasional ingrown hairs. Ahhh what to do?

Ok, so I like to be shaved.. everywhere. But down there.. whenever I do, no matter how careful I am, it always gets suuuper irritated. All red and bumpy, with occasional ingrown hairs. How can I get this to stop?! I do use shaving cream (conditioner works better) and stuff and I have a good razor.. so idk? What do guys think when they see this?

Most Helpful Girl

• First off, try waxing instead. Shaving down there increases the risk of contracting stds and getting infections and such. Shaving leaves micro cuts and it leaves you a tad bit more vulnerable.

To help with the ingrown hairs and red bumps, try making sure the area is relatively exfoliated. Down there, it's not too uncommon for dead skin cells, sweat, etc to get into those follicles, which in turn clogs them and increases the likelihood of ingrown hairs. It may help with red bumps, but those are usually caused by the area not being prepped well enough, too.

What Guys Said 1

• Me being a guy who shaves myself I understand the occasional ingrown hairs and bumps etc. It does not bother me at all to see it on a girl. I found that baby oil works great before and after shaving, helps to protect the skin from razor burn and softens it as well.

What Girls Said 3

• Conditioner does work well... do you let it sit for like five minutes before you shave? That makes a big difference.

My skin got really irritated when I first started shaving, so I know the feeling. It may get better. If not, have you considered waxing or plucking? Plucking takes a while, but I do it occasionally and I love the results.

• Exfoliate daily and then generously apply lotion, if that doesn't work try waxing.

• I've had the same problem - I find it so uncomfortable that I've vowed never to shave down there again. I get much better results by waxing or plucking, sorry to say.