What is the best method/fastest way to get a tan?

And how long should you stay out in the sun to achieve one? Also, does getting burnt increase the speed in which you get a tan? Thanks.

Most Helpful Girl

• Tanning oil/lotion. You can go to the tanning salon and use the booths. You should do it gradually. If you're outside, go for 12 minutes the first time then the next day go for either 12 or 15 (depending on how your skin tone/reaction is). If you use a tanning booth, go 7 or 8 minutes to get your base tan then go back the next day for about 9 or 10. The person working at the salon should give you a better judgement on the time considering your skin and the tanning booths available (there's different kinds). No, a burn will not increase your tan. If you get burnt as your base "tan" then your layer of "tan" will be burnt, any other layers added onto it will just be burnt layers. Tan layers only add onto tans unless you burn then you will burn more afterwords if your skin isn't healed, burnt layers only add onto burnt layers. If you're burnt, wait a few days til your skin heals before going back out to try to tan.

Also, you need to realize that tanning is not safe and can cause cancer. Spray tans are a lot healthier and will give you the same result. If you go to a tanning salon, or even apply the lotion yourself, there's a lot of new options that will give you a natural look and not an orange glow like the myth.

• My sister said that I would look bad with a fake tan because my skin needs a bit more of a real tan for it to look good. But she's just talking about those fake tans you get from a can.

• Every skin color looks good with a spray tan. There's different shades.

• Very true, I'll look into that, thanks :).

What Girls Said 8

• i guess natural methods are the best. get out in the sun, play sports with your shirt off. go the beach more often. don't do it the chemical way... being natural is being safe. good luck!

oh and like the previous answerer said, take care not to get burnt.

• become confident with the skin you've got?

• As an Australian, surely you've heard nothing but 'wear sunscreen' since you were born. That's all I'm going to say on that matter.

• LMFAO! Lagger!

• Just lay out in the sun:) I did a lot of swimming over the summer and have an awesome tan:) (I'm a red-head so I burn easily).

• please don't get burnt in the sun, you might as well get skin cancer. lol I am an indian, have a tanned body. Would love to have white skin. lol I don't understand why don't you appreciate yourself. same applies to me ,vice-versa.

• Tanned skin looks healthier. As an australian tans are considered a good thing lol.

• use sunless tanning(eg.spray) or you can eat a lot of carrot then you'll turn orange(lol).I am originally tan..tehee :D

• artificial tanner?

What Guys Said 6

• As a Anatomy & Physiology student, your question makes me cringe >.<

I don't have time to write a lengthy response so here's a quick one.

DO NOT get burnt

DO NOT try to quickly tan

DO develop a base tan

DO NOT think in hours of sun

DO plan ahead and think of how many weeks, 2-3 at the min.

Here's why, UV rays (from sun) cause mutation of DNA in your body -That's BAD-

your "tan" melanin, protects against this UV to shield your DNA. That's good.

Blasting yourself with UV dramaticly increases chances of mutation.

Don't think X-men mutation, think ew gross, my skin is screwed up with cancer mutation.

Take it slow! Please!

• um any kind of tan burns your skin...its why white people get "brown" or "tan" and black people get "darker" -- think of it this way, if you sit out in the sun for too long its basically like sitting on a grill...not really but you get my point

if you're going to a tanning bed, I would suggest doing a stand up (thats what I do) bed and go in for 6min on your first run. then on the second time I'd do 8, then 8 again, then 10...i never go longer than 10 min...stand up are the fastest...if you do a lay down one the timing is the same. you'll be albe to feel yourself burning if you go - at least you should

youre not gonna want to "burn" yourself just to get a tan, its way too uncomfortable. Just start small

the best way and less harmful way is natural tanning on the beach or in the sun...although any kind of tanning is unhealthy TBH...if you're gonna go outside, it depends on how hot it is...i usually do 15min one side, 15min the other...but then again if I'm in teh caribbean I'll do 8-10 one side and 8-10 the other...it all depends on how hot the sun is where you are outside...

anyways yeah that's all I really know and that's what I do

• Wear sunscreen with a minimum of SPF 30 and do NOT get sunburned. You will get tan slowly but it will be the safest way.

If you get burnt your asking for cancer.

• You can get skin cancer or cleavage wrinkles from to much sun tanning.

• in my country girls love white skins and blond men. because the people are brunette %85.

• Tans have been proven a risk to your health and me, I like natural skin tone and color. What about you? Do you think a babe looks better because she's darker? Not I.