Runners, What Are Your Thoughts on Minimalist Shoes?

I've been thinking about getting a pair of minimalist shoes for a while now. I tried on a pair of New Balance Minimus Road Shoes recently and I really liked them. I'm going to try on a few other minimals in a week or two and will probably buy a pair.

What I was wondering is if anyone has any experience with minimalist shoes and what their thoughts are. Any advice on selecting a shoe and/or learning to run in them?

What Girls Said 1

• I LOVE the vibram 5 fingers. You have to ease into them (start by walking around the house in them for a few days, then step things up until you feel comfortable running). They take some getting used to, but they've made me a much better runner, in my opinion.

• I hadn't even considered any of the 5 finger stuff, I'll have to give them a try.

What Guys Said 1

• Unless yoou're a very serious runner, and very careful about your surfaces you run on, I'd stay away from them. Changing yur foot strike is a risky thing, many people will develop problems.

Not to mention increased risk of ankle sprains and other torsion without upper foot support.

Professional racers have been using these for decades, but I don't thik they're for the average citizen runner.

• I'm not too worried about the change in foot strike. I prefer to move on my forefoot as it is and I find most shoes fairly limiting in that regard. I'll keep upper foot support in mind though. Perhaps I can find something light weight with a negative heal that still offers some support up front.

• New Balance offers a range of shoe types. Still, for most people, avoiding injury is more important than a slight increase in your 10K time, no?