Are 'pretty girls' really more insecure or do they say their ugly to get more compliments?

my best friend is GORGEOUS. like super super gorgeous, guys always ask her out. and I'm just the friend -_- lol I get hit on every now and then but not on a daily basis like her.

but we're both insecure. I actually have reason to be cause I got in a fight with this girl and her and her guy friends would call me ugly all throughout high school. but whenever someone says she's pretty or that they like her clothes, hair, etc. she's always like 'ugh no I'm not I look like sh*t, I'm so ugly.'

when really she doesn't. what's your opinon?

its always like that with her. she makes a huge deal every single time someone compliments her. I may say that I look like sh*t but that's it. she makes this huge scene and its really getting on my nerves. lol

Most Helpful Girl

• I think for some people it's to try to get compliments, for others it might be a strange attempt at modesty.

But I'd also suggest that there's probably a sort of "relative insecurity" phenomenon going on. We're often our own worst critics, and most people have aspects of themselves that they don't like, but I think there's a tendency to judge yourself in comparison to people who you see as more attractive than yourself (since most people want to be more attractive, rather than be satisfied that they're more attractive than someone else).

I'll use weight as an example. Say a girl weighs 170 lbs. She doesn't look at a girl who is 250 lbs and think, "I'm thin.", instead, she looks at a girl who weighs, say, 130 lbs, and thinks "I'm fat." But the girl who weighs 130 lbs probably isn't looking at the girl who weighs 170 lbs and thinking, "I'm thin:, she's looking at the girl who weighs 110 lbs and thinking, "I'm fat." And the girl who weighs 250 lbs is probably looking at all of them and thinking, "Why the hell do all these thin girls keep complaining about being fat when they're no where near being fat?"

As for your friend, she's probably thinking that she's ugly compared to the girls that she thinks are more attractive than her, rather than realizing that she's more attractive than a ton of other girls.

• Or I guess I should say, "She might be thinking" rather than she's "probably thinking".

• BA for sure that was an awesome way to put it

What Guys Said 5

• You are pretty:

1) "uhhg no I'm not" = I like the compliments, keep them coming.

2) "thanks" = cool. lets move on.

• I can't stand girls like your friend. If they stop receiving compliments, a huge scene will be made there as well. What's the most annoying thing is when these types down themselves in captions to their Facebook photos. If you really think you look bad, why the hell would you post it?

• lol she just did that like 2 days ago and then she said she looked ugly in it -____-

• It's a fact that many pretty girls are more insecure than average girls, though it should be the other way round but it's not.

Sometimes they don't take it seriously when guys are hitting on them, they think they're just joking or trying to embarrass her or worse, trying to play her.

As many teenage and young adult guys are.. perverted, immature, too loud - you name it, that creates such combination! The truth is those guys truly value at least her physical features but they're unable to express their interest in an acceptable manner, as they are still boys and not men yet.

About clothes and hair, girls lie about it to each other 24/7, even if those clothes truly look like sh*t they still gonna say they are "gorgeous" to avoid offending anyone and to keep it cool.

• She sounds like girlfriend material for sure... There's only so much complimenting and reinforcement a guy can give before they get sick of sh*t like that. She's hot and she knows it and apparently gets pissed if she gets compliments and also when she doesn't. Has she had many boyfriends, because seems like a narcissist.

• yup, so many that she's actually never told me about some of them because she felt like I was getting jealous of her getting asked out all the time

• it's called fishing for compliments ha ha but I think a lot of pretty girls do it unconsciously to be honest

What Girls Said 2

• Personaly I think getting compliments can be ebarassing, I would imagine many people feel like this and this includes very pretty girls.

I don't think they're more insecure as average girls, but probably just as insecure. You may find your friend gorgeous, and maybe many other people do too, but she just self-conscious about her looks as you are.

• if they bring it up, they are seeking compliments.