What is the possibility of someone with dark brown hair and someone with red hair to have a redheaded baby?

I have dark brown hair, but the guy I like has red hair...would we end up having children with red hair? Little kids with red hair are so cute!

Updates:
My hair has really red undertones and when my hair was much lighter when I was a kid, it was strawberry blonde.

0|0
8|4

Most Helpful Guy

• Red hair is a recessive gene.

If one partner is brown haired, then that will be the dominant gene.

The only chance of having a red haired child, is if the brown haired parent carried the red haired gene recessively. In which case, the odds are 25% or 1 in 4 chance, that that red head gene will match the dominant gene of the ginger parent.

So the answer is 1:4, IF and only IF the brown haired parent carries the recessive ginger gene.

1|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 3

• Either way, it's not worth the risk. (Better dead than red-on-the-head)

1|2
    5|0
  • If your dominant for brown, you're children will also be brown, but if you're heterozygous, there is a chance.

0|0
    0|0
  • Not likely, the gene skips generations. I'm a redhead, my parents are not, my grandparents are, and so on...

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 8

• My mom has brown hair with red undertones and my dad was a redhead when he was younger and they both created me and my brother (two redheads). So its possible. But I can't tell you for sure. It all depends if you carry the recessive gene or not.

0|0
    0|0
  • No. Brown hair is a dominant gene, only if you have a close relative with red hair will you have a chance of having a child with red hair.

In Caucasians its common for babies to be born with a lighter hair/eye color that darkens as they age. Your hair is truly brown (or auburn since you said it has a lot of red undertones) not strawberry blond, the color just didn't develop fully until you were older.

0|0
    0|0
  • Its possible. Though like others have said,if one has dark hair,they would have to carry the red-hair gene.

Case in point: I have red hair and my ex has dark hair. His Dad has redish hair so therefore,all three of our boys have red hair.

Hope this helps!

0|0
    0|0
  • i'm pretty sure lighter hair colors are recessive when it comes to genes (that's what they taught us in school anyway) so I don't think it's likely

0|0
    0|0
  • yes it's possible.

0|0
    0|0
  • It is possible :) I babysit a little girl and her older brother...both parents have brown hair and her brother has brown hair as well BUT she has the most gorgeous red hair I have ever seen. Her hair also curls at the bottom...soo cute, so if this is possible then your future children could possibly have red hair also:) genetics are weird

2|0
    1|0
  • actually likely. Red hair seems to be dominant. All the people with red hair I know seem to have a parent with it and a parent with normal hair. Why would you want ginger babies though? They get picked on so much.

0|0
    0|1
    • I think they are adorable.

• I really like him. A lot. And I am not really planning a family, I am just thinking about it.

• well good luck just hope they don't come out looking like carrot top

• It's pretty possible.

0|0
    0|0