What is the possibility of someone with dark brown hair and someone with red hair to have a redheaded baby?

I have dark brown hair, but the guy I like has red hair...would we end up having children with red hair? Little kids with red hair are so cute!

My hair has really red undertones and when my hair was much lighter when I was a kid, it was strawberry blonde.

Most Helpful Guy

• Red hair is a recessive gene.

If one partner is brown haired, then that will be the dominant gene.

The only chance of having a red haired child, is if the brown haired parent carried the red haired gene recessively. In which case, the odds are 25% or 1 in 4 chance, that that red head gene will match the dominant gene of the ginger parent.

So the answer is 1:4, IF and only IF the brown haired parent carries the recessive ginger gene.

What Guys Said 3

• Either way, it's not worth the risk. (Better dead than red-on-the-head)

• If your dominant for brown, you're children will also be brown, but if you're heterozygous, there is a chance.

• Not likely, the gene skips generations. I'm a redhead, my parents are not, my grandparents are, and so on...

What Girls Said 8

• My mom has brown hair with red undertones and my dad was a redhead when he was younger and they both created me and my brother (two redheads). So its possible. But I can't tell you for sure. It all depends if you carry the recessive gene or not.

• No. Brown hair is a dominant gene, only if you have a close relative with red hair will you have a chance of having a child with red hair.

In Caucasians its common for babies to be born with a lighter hair/eye color that darkens as they age. Your hair is truly brown (or auburn since you said it has a lot of red undertones) not strawberry blond, the color just didn't develop fully until you were older.

• Its possible. Though like others have said,if one has dark hair,they would have to carry the red-hair gene.

Case in point: I have red hair and my ex has dark hair. His Dad has redish hair so therefore,all three of our boys have red hair.

Hope this helps!

• i'm pretty sure lighter hair colors are recessive when it comes to genes (that's what they taught us in school anyway) so I don't think it's likely

• yes it's possible.

• It is possible :) I babysit a little girl and her older brother...both parents have brown hair and her brother has brown hair as well BUT she has the most gorgeous red hair I have ever seen. Her hair also curls at the bottom...soo cute, so if this is possible then your future children could possibly have red hair also:) genetics are weird

• actually likely. Red hair seems to be dominant. All the people with red hair I know seem to have a parent with it and a parent with normal hair. Why would you want ginger babies though? They get picked on so much.

• I think they are adorable.

• I really like him. A lot. And I am not really planning a family, I am just thinking about it.

• well good luck just hope they don't come out looking like carrot top

• It's pretty possible.