I hate seeing myself in photos

I'm 22 and ever since I was a teenager and started going out partying with friends and taking photos I've had this completely weird hatred of having my photo taken or even seeing myself in photos. I love taking photos of my friends because they are so photogenic (even the not so attractive ones - I don't mean to be rude but it's true) they just look great in them whereas I look completely hideous even though I am actually attractive, everyone says I look good in them but I just can't see it. It's weird because when I'm on my own and look at myself in the mirror I do find myself attractive I'm just so un-photogenic and feel like crying whenever I see myself in a photo and wonder if I do really look like that... I have this automatic reflex now that whenever some gets out a camera I cover my face without even realising it, it must be really annoying to everyone else and I ruin the photo - they also just think I'm attention seeking and looking for compliments.

Does anyone else feel like this? What can I do?

Most Helpful Girl

• Actually, I feel the same way about myself. I'm not the most photogenic person. To be honest, the only photos that I look good in, is when it is taken without me noticing. That rarely happens because whenever I see a camera I hide. When I am forced to be in the photo too, I can't help but feel...weird and particular about it. I stare at everyone else in the photo and I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.

I wish I could offer advice, but I'm kinda the same way. Good luck though :)

But if I offended you in anyway, I apologize.

What Guys Said 3

• I am not very photogenic either - I feel like it makes my face look fatter and I hate it cause I work out daily and certainly do not have a fat face!

what I've learned in the past few years is how you feel during the picture makes a big difference on how you look. just be genuinely happy and have a big smile on your face and you will look beautiful in every picture you take!

• I hate being in pictures too. I'm ugly enough in person never mind a permanent memento.

• Nope

Just suck it up

What Girls Said 2

• Ugh I f***ing hate how I look in pictures I don't even take them anymore and I refuse to. I read/watched this video and article that said how you look in pictures is actually how you look but the reason we think we look so bad in pictures is because we aren't used to seeing ourselves the un-reflected way. When we look at ourselves in the mirror we see the reflected version of ourselves so the right side of our self in the mirror is the left side to people in real life. If you look at peoples picture mirrored/reflected and then look at them in real life or in a picture you will almost always think they look better in real life/picture because that is how the person really looks, the mirror actually is distorted and warps our brain. Lots of people feel the same way as us don't worry it's pretty common.

Sorry if this didn't make you feel any better.

• I like seeing myself in pictures, but not in the mirror. I'm incredibly photogenic and I don't understand how I look so ugly in person and so hot in pictures.