Question for the guys: Is it bad to go on the first date w/out any makeup on?

I ask this question because I am starting to realize that a lot of men get caught up in women's appearances. I have noticed that a lot of very handsome men go for very plain appearing women. I don't mean this in a negative way what so ever I think its a wonderful thing that these women can catch wonderful guys (very gorgeous men at that) and keep them. These men fall head over heels in love for these women and I have always wondered what do they do that makes them so attractive. So I did my own experiment.

I went on a date with a guy without any makeup on I was very casual just wore a t-shirt and some jeans w/sneakers. We hit it off phenomenally! I was comfortable and didn't feel like I had to put on a show. And he liked my personality which is what I wanted him to focus on the most. As most men seem to only focus on a woman's appearance on the first few dates. He asked me out again and ever since then we see each other on a day to day basis. He can't get enough of me! I do dress up but on occasion. I found out that men appreciate beauty more when its given sparingly. Naturally I don't really like dressing up any way so when I do dress up he really does appreciate it and voices it to me.

So my question is do you think its a bad thing to go on the first date w/out any make up on? Or do you like when women wear makeup to look more attractive/prettier for you? Also is it better when we are just our complete self around you when there are no walls put up. Just our open complete self?

Most Helpful Guy

• I guess some men actually find really hot girls intimidating. With you not dressing up and wearing make-up you are probably less threatening, meaning the guy feels OK to be himself and isn't too nervous or worrying about f***ing it up and saying the wrong things.

When a girl puts a lot of emphasis on her looks I've found that usually it's because they don't have much else going for them (as in a personality, sense of humour, intelligence etc.) They need to look hot and sexy or the guy will get bored of them quickly.

I actually prefer girls who just wear a little make-up.

• Yeah, I figured as much. I was this girl and still am. I even posted a question on here about how guys never approached me. Haha. But I have been working on that and the sheer fact that I did something different this time around and it bared great results tells me that its not always about looking beautiful. It's all about confidence and personality. I know you guys like a beautiful woman but at the end of the day what really matters is her personality because you'll eventually get used

• to her looks. Its her personality that you have to deal with over an extended period of time. So that's what I'm really trying to sell the most. If he thinks I'm beautiful that's a plus. :)

What Guys Said 8

• Wear make up but present disclaimer card the size of business card, disclaimer card shall say the following

--Not actually looking like this without make up

--Make up subject to change

--Make up may run after tears or rain

--Make up may skew perception of male mind especially if intoxicated from marijuana or alcohol

--Make up may subtract from body weight

--Make up may look bad the next morning.

• I like woman who are comfortable with themselves. I do have a weakness for flashy hair, though. Give me a girl who takes care of her hair over one who knows how to cake make up on any day of the week.

• If she never wears make up, but this special day, wears some, that means it's an important day for her.

If she usually wears some, and doesn't that day, it means she doesn't care enough for the guy to make the same efforts as usual.

Otherwise, it's just a missing sign, there could be others appearing during the conversation. So no big worry.

• Okay well what if say you met someone on an online dating site you saw pictures of her where she looked really nice with makeup on but when you went on a date she didn't have on any make up just looked cute with casual wear jeans,blouse, and some sandals or boots...whatev. Would you say you'd be more inclined to focus on her personality more so than her appearance?

• I don't know, it will depend on the guy.

I've been fooled enough already with shady personalities behind very nice appearances, so I would firstly go for personality, but that's me.

I'm not a big help here, sorry !

• Ah, its okay. :)

• I would like girls to come with whatever they feel best. I want them to feel good about themselves.

• If your naturally pretty, there's no need to try and Look plastic.

• you have the privilege of being gorgeous either or.. don't worry about it. you are fine :)

• So this guy is an experiment to you? WOW

• Goodness no! I've had like a major crush on this guy for years. What I meant by an experiment is that I felt I wanted to do things this time around different. I didn't want to put too much emphasis on my appearance. So I played my looks down a bit ie: no make up and very casual wear to see how it would go. And the out come was great, I got the guy. I'm totally into him and he's tottally into me. :D

• LOL. Why am I arguing with you? You're obviously a TROLL.

• No troll here..that would be i

• I pretty much want my date to be hot. I don't care about make up per se, just the results. If she can be hot without makeup, so much the better. It helps if she has an amazing body.

• See...that's what I'm talking about. Yes there is attraction there but ultimately you date so you two can get to know each other better. This question is more about would you still like the girl even if she did not wear make up? Would you focus more on her personality rather than her looks more?

• I see. Well you don't have to worry. Usually if a girl keeps talking to you and actually meets you on the dates you two have arranged to meet then...she is most certainly interested. I use to be really into my looks and have some what calmed down a bit because I know how superficial makeup and clothing can be. I would like the guy to not only see that I am beautiful but have a great personality to boot! I do understand where you're coming from though. I can see how that can come off as not tryin

• Yeah. For sure. Honestly, I don't REALLY care aobut makeup. BUT on an early date I want the girl to put in effort to make herself sexually appealing as well as being interesting, nice, fun, good conversation, etc. After all, the whole point of dating is to EVENTUALLY lead to sex. Otherwise it's just friends. And THAT'S a pretty big fail of an outcome from a dating perspective.

I hear you on being TOO into looks though. If she always looks in mirrors it gets old fast.

What Girls Said 4

• I was wondering this too... I have a crush on a guy at my gym, and I usually get there with mascara on since I've been in class or work, but if we went out I'd be confused... I don't wear makeup anywhere, anytime so I'd be afraid Id look caked on or do it wrong if I did put it on haha

• Awesome, sounds like youve found a great guy :) I did something similar :P

• I think you're confusing a correlation with a causation. Your guys may have treated you like crap when you made yourself look good and this guy may treat you nicely when you didn't work on yourself, but that does not mean that not wearing makeup will make a guy treat you better than he would without it. Most men are visual and everyone looks best with makeup on. Just don't overdo it, keep it natural, and most guys will appreciate that the best.

• I'm not confusing anything. I know exactly what I am talking about. I would dress up and look nice ALL the time for my exes...they didn't appreciate it. Of course they did in the beginning but keeping it up constantly...it got old. It's something they expected. People appreciate things more when given sparingly. It's a known fact that they do. I am just adJusting how I attract a man there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You dress up to attract men, that's your way I have mine.

• I wear make up whenever I go out.. Not a lot, just a little color - my skin is so pale I look half dead without it!

In terms of dressing up, though, I can't be arsed!

My boyfriend and I met at work.. Polo shirt (three sizes to big!) and trackies.. Not the best look, so I guess it could only go uphill from there!

Usually when we meet up I'll be in hoody and jeans. Acceptable, but not looking amazing.

Every so often I'll make a little more effort. Do my make up "properly." Earrings (they light up my eyes). Different jacket. Figure hugging jeans. Little things make a huge difference.

He seems to notice (hope I haven't jinxed that!). The last few times he's made a point of commenting on how nice I look.. I don't think that'd happen if I put that much effort in all the time.

Plus, if we're just meeting up to lounge around on a sofa, what's the point of getting all dressed up?

• Totally agree! But I'm really really lazy about dressing up now. LOL I only put on make up once every blue moon or for special occasions. I think they really do appreciate our beauty when we dress up every once in a while. For instance my guy really was impressed with how I looked last night. We went out to eat and he was like WOW you look great! It made me feel good because he really appreciated the effort I put into my appearance. We both got a treat! :D

• I'm glad someone agrees! When we actually put effort in, it's nice that it's appreciated..

If you do it all the time, they don't notice so much and it feels like you're spending all that time for nothing!