Women wearing sweats in public? Is it ok?

There are times when I want to dress up and look glamours, so I do my hair and makeup really nice just for myself. People think I do it to attract attention but really some days I just want to “ feel good about myself” …when you look good you feel good. Other days, I am in a relaxed mood and I will go to the grocery store or outside the house in sweats ( Victoria secret, aeropostale, etc). I read this article that says “ you will be single forever because it drives me away” but that’s me. I dress for myself, and I feel if you can’t accept me, f you. I mean seriously , I am not going to break my neck in heels when my feet hurt just to attract a man. What are you opinions? I get so tired of being told how I should change who I am to attract a man, or hold my tongue, or wear uncomfortable things "all the time" to keep them interested. Yes I am single, and maybe my vicky sweats may turn you off, but they make ME happy when I am just having a down day, and don't feel like breaking my neck in heels. I am just a really down to earth , laid back chick...

if this is lazy, then I will be happy single, I change for no one. Sometimes I go out right before going to the gym. Noting wrong with a workout gear. If you can't accept it , keep trucking. You don't deserve me.

Most Helpful Guy

• Alright, first I just want to say there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with doing this. With that being said, I want you to also think about something. Imagine you're having one of those days, go food shopping dressed with sweats and all that. But that day just happens to be the day that a guy you would have loved to date/get to know better is also food shopping.

He sees you. He goes off his first impression of you. What he sees is somebody that doesn't really care about her appearance or the opinion of others in that regards. She's not bad looking, but her lack of effort out in public says that she might be the kind of person you really don't want to approach. After all, when I think about somebody who "doesn't care what others think" there's a certain attitude/personality that also goes with that. A personality that would make me hesitant to outright talk to her.

Now had you gone out looking well dressed, I'm not talking formal event dressed, just comfortably dressed on that line between casual and class, things might go an entirely different way. He sees you. He goes off his first impression of you. He sees somebody who cares about the impression they're sending to other people. What items you wear will send different messages but regardless, he's going to infer that you don't go out in public without putting some forethought into what you're wearing. That says something about self-respect. You respect yourself enough to care about your image. If you don't respect yourself enough to care, others won't either. He also notices you're attractive. You're looks are now standing out for him. He decides to talk to you because all the things he's subconsciously looking out for are going "this girl stands out" and that's what matters. If you don't stand out, there's not motivation for a guy to talk to you over another woman.

That's how we are. Even the confident ones who are willing to strike up a conversation and make the first move. We can't go out of our way to talk to every mildly attractive woman we see. For starters that would just be too much. And second, we pick and choose our battles. We pick the women that stand out to us. If we're going to put our time and ego on the line, we're going to go for the woman that stands out.

But forget relationships entirely. What if you run into a co-worker? Or your boss? People do remember those things. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but if those same people saw you looking like somebody who knows how to dress for the situation, that is also going to stick in their memory. "Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."- Mark Twain. That quote means that if people judge you based on looks, which EVERYBODY does, and 90% of your body is covered in clothes...what do you think people base their first impression on? What you wear.

Do what makes you happy, but just keep in mind of what "consequences" there may be as a result.

• if he was that shallow, I am seriously would be happy he didn't approach me or waste my time. I make the clothes, the clothes don't make me. I have dated men like that and I wouldn't view myself as missing out if he didn't talk to me. obviously we are not compatible if he is that shallow. I don't judge a man by what he wears or expect him to look like he going to a fancy dinner every time I see him. As long as he is clean that is what matters. If I saw a guy in a clean pair of work out cloth

• That's fine to the gym. And if she said something as a conversation starter, I would have no issue with what she's wearing because I'd assume she's on the way to the gym. Would I approach her out of the blue wearing that? Eh maybe, but probably not. She's obviously got somewhere to be(the gym) and I'm not hard-pressed to talk to her for any specific reason. Do you know what I mean? Maybe that's just my personality, but I don't feel compelled to go out of my way to talk to every beautiful woman.

What Guys Said 8

• Dressing for comfort is always okay. Personally I find a woman who dresses with comfort and practicality in mind much more attractive (and more approachable) than one who dresses to look good.

• No. It's not a bad look at all.

• IF guys can do it why can't girls? Wear what you want miss just don't look like a slob cause that's disgusting for guys and girls lol

• Absolutely! Sweats pretty much always look OK on a girl! To me I'd rather see a girl in sweats rather than having to completely doll herself up every single day, although it is OK to see them dressed nice often though.

• If you got a body like that you wear whatever you like, I'm sure your don't won't complain...do your thing...

• Yeah it is okay, and someone really look attractive wearing it

• Not cool. -_-

• Why is the choice only sweats or heels?

Whatever, just don't wear the ones with PINK on your butt

• Agreed, there's definitely a middle ground there. You can dress casually and comfortably without breaking out the work out gear.

• I know what you're saying. I've always liked your posts and responses to questions here on GAG. I think it would be great if you snagged yourself a really good guy. I just don't know if sweats in any form is going to help in that endeavor.

• Sorry, just had to add when I saw this ".if a man can't love me in my natural state, he doesn't love the true me"<-- problem is these guys don't know you. If you were talking about your significant other, ENTIRELY different story. This guy doesn't know you AT ALL though. We're talking first impressions from people who have never met you. We aren't saying sweats make you ugly or less attractive, they just don't help your cause to stand out above the rest which is what its all about.

What Girls Said 11

• I don't wear sneakers or sweats unless I'm working out. I don't care how nice comfortable or expensive they are. There's nothing wrong with it, but, I don't like them, they make me feel unkept and sloppy. Yes, I know I have issues, Just hear me out.

Let's turn it around a moment. And be honest. Think about what you like to see, what's visually appealing to you. It doesn't matter if it's a guy or girl. Are you more likely to check out the fresh, confident, well presented person or are you going to check out the one that looks like there going to the gym?

• The right man will like you the way you are. omg that sounds so corny but its true. there are a lot of guys I know who do not care if your the flyest dressed chick, and some who do like it. it just depends. as long as you don't look disgusting/ungroomed then your OK. a pretty girl in sweats is still a pretty girl. looking presentable is important, but sweats don't always look sloppy. I wouldn't leave the house in clothes with stains and holes in them, that just looks like your depressed lol

• Eff guys.

Not literately. lol Take it from a girl who's had lots of guys who would appear to be great from the surface disappoint and frustrate her non-stop. Most of them are really not worth impressing and pleasing. It's actually pretty ironic how so many guys talk about girls like we're trophies that need to be all pretty and glamorized up yet most of them don't have what it takes to win us anyway!

I'm like you. I dress according to mood. I'll wear some funky tights, heels, and a dress one day, then put on a male friend's baggy sweat pants, some sneakers, and a fitted tee the next. I don't care if it turns guys off. If a guy is going to be turned off by my clothes, then he's not the kind of guy I want anyway :)

• EXACTLY! you are just avoiding the extremely shallow guys. Those are the men who will be complaining about the first wrinkle on your face years down the road. You want a man that loves you when you look a mess straight out of bed and when your smokin hot for a night out :)

• thank you! some guys don't want to be anywhere near you if you're not wearing makeup and have your hair and nails done. We don't wake up looking like that dumba$$es. -_- And notice how the guys who want a barbie girlfriend on their arms 24/7 are the same ones rocking bushy eyebrows, dirty finger nails, crappy hair and tasteless clothes their damn selves? rofl eff them.

• LMAO JO___N64 OMG YESSSSS! Like wtf don't act like you deserve some awesome girl if you look and act a hot fckn mess

• There's nothing wrong with wearing sweats to simple places like the grocery store or if you're out & you honestly don't want to be bothered. But I highly doubt those articles really mean that you have to dress up all of the time. They're saying that you should strive to look your best. Flip the tables for a sec. Would you rather approach a guy that is kept up or one that is not?

• If you're good lookin' you can look good in anything. I love wearing trackies, so comfy and hey if that equals forever alone then whatever :)

• and you are hot, so any man hating on your trackies is just missing out...his loss

• Haha awh. But yeah do what you want, wear whatever you like :)

• um, your gorgeous. any guy who doesn't want you in whatever you choose to wear is either gay or extremely stupid.

I like your attitude. I'm like that too, I wear what I want. I keep my hair short because I like short hair on me. Many people like it on me too, but many guys have said they prefer long hair on me. I could care less, they're not the ones who have to wash and style my hair everyday. I do what I want and if guys don't like it, I keep it moving too. ;p

• Do you! I'm the same way...I can look like a celebrity with heels and a dress or with sweats, tank, earrings and cap! As long as you think you look good (and hopefully you're visions good unlike some chicks lol), go for it.

• Don't listen to those stupid articles that say you will be single forever or do this for your man because he will love you forever it's all bs

• yes :)

some guys love when girls can rock sweats.

• yes!

• When I was in high school I sort of got into the habit of wearing loose fitting pants everywhere because I had freakishly muscular legs for a girl and wanted to wear stuff that hid them. But they're just SO comfy I would do it anyway even if I didn't have that reason :)