Relaxed to Natural Hair

I've been thinking about not relaxing my hair for a while and going natural; only these past two weeks have I been really serious...The appointment is set and nothing can sway me.

My question is will people treat me differently because my hair is short and natural? I don't know what it will look like, not that I care necessarily because I honestly am not doing to for a guy... (most guys didn't find me attractive with my hair, so what difference would it make?)

My motives are: less money spent when in college, health conscious reasons, and lack of enthusiasm for relaxing...

And for anyone who knows from experience:

What can I expect after the "big chop" and what products & styles do you recommend?

Thanks everyone! I cut my hair a couple of days ago...and it looks good! Lol! It's a little spiky because the front still needs new growth underneath, so it's still relaxed, but other than that people are now comparing me to my mom's old style (completely a coincidence) but they seem to be taking it well...

It's just school! Lol! I posted a preview on FB and only one of my classmates had said anything, and a friend who wanted a pic, I sent it to her but no "I like it" or opp' response in a txt
But we'll see, I normally have been wearing my hair in a bun when it wasn't straight so...I didn't see a difference...Just no bun!

Even if no one likes it, I guess it's fine...It'll be different for some people though but next it'll be ear piercings!

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Most Helpful Girl

• That is the EXACT reason I went natural, because I am going to a college that is not surrounded by people that can do black hair and also because I rather my hair be healthy. I recently did my big chop 3 weeks ago and I LOVE it! I only transitioned for about 4-5 months. My hair is about 3 1/2 inches. I use this healthy shampoo and conditioner by Beautiful Curls, I really love the leave in conditioner, it has shea butter in it which natural hair loves! And last night I did a two strand twist but other than that I have been doing wash and gos (leaving the leave-in conditioner in). Some people might say why did you cut your hair, some people may like it, I mean my guy friend prefers my hair straight and longer and does not like to see me with short hair but like I told him, give it a year and a half and it'll be shoulder length again. Just remember do not let anyone discourage you.

What Guys Said 1

• Nothing beats Natural hair. It's a fact.

What Girls Said 5

• Don't cut your hair. that almost never looks as good unless you have model like features. I've been going natural for a year and I did not cut my hair. I just grew out my relaxer while still keeping my relaxed ends. Of course you will have to trim your ends, but you can trim them as your hair grows so you can keep your length. To be honest, yes if you cut your hair people will treat you differently. Some will be positive, some will be negative but you will get a reaction. If guys did not find you attractive before, you will probably catch a lot of hell for being unattractive AND baldheaded. I'm just being real and not sugarcoating it

• I'm completely natural now after transitioning for 14.5 months. I still had about 4 or 5 inches of relaxed hair but I cut it off anyway. Honestly It still hasn't kicked it and it's a LOT harder to manage than when my hair was relaxed. I have 3c 4a hair link and it seems as though being natural you spend a lot more money on products (especially natural, chemical free products). It is a healthier choice though, it's just more costly than having a perm. Like I stated before it still hasn't kicked in, being completely natural and all so I really couldn't tell you what to expect. You can watch videos on YouTube on natural hair, just don't compare your hair to how you think yours will come out looking. I recommend sites like Curlynikki, and naturallycurly. There's a lot you can learn from them. Good luck with everything! [:

• Not everyone has to have "model features" in order to cut off all of their hair.I decided to chop off all of my hair in may or June because I was sick of all of the damage from relaxing it.The...BEST...choice...of...the...year.My hair is already about 3 to 4 inches.I use as many natural products as I can. Jojoba oil/olive oil is great for moisture.I also use wild grow hair oil...but it smells bad,but works very well.I use a basic conditioners like Pantene proV relaxed and natural to co wash my hair weekly.And then I use Doo gro deep conditioner,and I alternate with hot oil treatments.I use products that are within my budget.Argon oil is good and products that don't have mineral ol and sulfates.I use to spend about $125 on my hair a month,and now I spend $0-$15...every other month.

It's honestly your decision.And who cares what guys find attractive.I have had such a positive response to me wearing my own natural hair,even when I was practically bald.

• I'm glad that you made the right decision for yourself,please don't forget to choose a best answer.But good luck to you! :D

• Check out the Long Hair Care Forum website. I am om that site all the time, I haven't relaxed in.almost two years. Great hair tips, lots of photos, and members there are really informative and supportive.

• I like twist outs and braid outs or a bun but I get teased at school so usually I wear a pontial...curlynikki.com is a good website