Little girls in pageants?

Do you feel that putting young girls between ages of 3-12 in pageants (with the makeup and the outfits) can have a negative effect on them? Is it telling them the wrong thing about what should makes someone beautiful? If you have a daughter or plan to one day would you place her in a pageant at those ages?

Most Helpful Guy

• Some time ago we had a documentary in the UK about children's beauty pageants in the USA. The outfits on some of the little falsely matured kids made them look like strippers, cowgirl outfits with cut-outs and some I would not care to describe.

The telling aspect for me was that only the parents of the children are allowed to attend, I feel that said it all ... this is a totally inappropriate activity when there are many other types of contest such as spelling, athletics, essay writing, arts and crafts and so on. A cared for child whose intelligence has been nurtured is a joy to talk to and to share one's creative thoughts with in a way that will enhance what they are doing. Is that not enough? I have taught a child who had a facial disfigurement and a speech impediment ... yet the sparkle in her eyes when she had made huge progress and made us all proud of her was more beautiful than any child in a pageant could hope to offer through fake tan, fake eyelashes, fake lips and fake second-hand pseudo femininity. Let them be children and let us try to let them have a real innocent childhood.

What Guys Said 1

• first of all HELL NO, that shit is weak sauce. lol ALTHOUGH one of the best movies out there is "Little Miss Sunshine" (to die for amazing movie) It's message was great, you should definately watch it.

What Girls Said 3

• I would do it. Just make sure she knows that the beauty is on the inside. They give out medals for personality also, tell her to shoot for that one. My little sister was in them and she absolutely loved them, she had a blast meeting all those people, it helped her be a more open person. It also taught her not to judge people on looks because sometimes the prettiest girl is the ugliest. If my daughter wanted to I would do it. It's a fun experience.

• If I had a daughter, would never force her to be in one of those pageants.

But if she walked up to me one day, and said she wanted to be in one, I would definitely let her be in one (of course if I could afford it!)

But in my honest opinion, I hate those little girl beauty pageants. Those poor little girls look so fake, being caked with makeup and having to wear fake teeth? It just disturbs me!

• If the idea disturbs you why on earth would you let your daughter do this if she asks you? As a parent surely you are tasked with keeping her away from what you find disturbing! I am disturbed by this polarity of attitude and intent.

• Never.