If something isn't cute or in style, does that automatically mean it's ugly?

A girl I know posted a pic of her in a Christmas sweater. It's red and white with a little snowman down in the corner. She wrote the caption as "ugly sweater". So I thought about it...just because it's not "cute" and or "in fashion" shouldn't have to mean it's ugly, right?

Can you apply the same to people and their looks.?

Most Helpful Girl

• That's true.

When it comes to clothes there are things I like that aren't quite in style and there are things that are in style that I don't like. In between cute and ugly is a grey area I refer to as "not my taste". That means it's not good looking or bad looking; it's the average of clothing.

I guess the same goes with people. An average looking person is someone who is not hot or beautiful but also isn't ugly. They don't have striking features nor do they have busted ones. They just are.

What Girls Said 6

• The opposite of cute is ugly... so yes it would be ugly if you don't find it cute. However just because it isn't in style doesn't mean its automatically ugly. Going after what's in and what isn't is pointless anyways because you aren't dressing for yourself but to look "cool." As in terms of an "ugly Christmas sweater," generally this term is given to EVERY woven Christmas sweater. It doesn't mean its ugly at all, its just a sort of stereotype and title thrown onto every Christmas sweater.

• those tacky Christmas sweaters usually ARE ugly though lol. but yes some people do feel the same way about people and their looks. it could be a regular/average/normal person that isn't really ugly, but if they dress dorky, act awkward and are seen as lame then people will be quicker to say they're ugly

• Actually, I like to shop around on different web sites; a handful of them are international. And they have a selection of "ugly Christmas sweaters." lol So I don't know if it's in or not. But regardless if something is in fashion or not shouldn't really matter. It should be about the individual's personal style.

As for someone's looks...is really a subjective matter.

• Everyone has different definitions of ugly. My ugly could be your beautiful. She might have put the caption 'ugly sweater' to crtisize her sweater herself before someone else does. It decreases the chance of someone else saying it's ugly, if you've said it already. :)

• How could somebody's looks not be "in fashion"? lol. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. What is ugly to me, might be beautiful to someone else, like the other girl mentioned, it just might not be "my taste". There is a lot of stuff in between "cute" and "ugly" when it comes to clothes and people, and not always if something is out of style will it mean it is ugly or "not cute". I mean think about retro or vintage things. :) Hey, that's another way to look at it. =)

• I wouldn't say it's ugly,i would say that it's just not my taste or preference...and the same would apply to an individual.

What Guys Said 0