Do you believe others when they tell you that you look hot, pretty, handsome etc?

So, when I see myself in pictures or look in the mirror, I see someone average looking maybe a bit higher on good days. Yet quite a few people tell me that I'm hot or pretty etc even when I'm having a bad day. I don't believe them, probably because I'm quite insecure and have always had self esteem issues. I seem to think that they're lying and when I say 'Really?' or 'Why do you think that?' it sounds as if I'm fishing or something, I don't know. Anyways... my question is (to both girls and guys) do you actually believe people when they tell you that you look good, if you don't think so yourself?

• Yes, always.
  • Sometimes, it depends on who it is.
  • No, never.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've realized the fact that I see something totally different than what others see. I've had days where I felt just "meh" and had someone tell me I was beautiful. I've started to listen to them. Instead of make excuses, I just accept the compliment,. and in my own head I accept it too- I don't try to dismiss it.

Turns out- that's one of the best things you can do for yourself- accept a compliment. Then, try to view yourself through the eyes of those people giving you the compliment. I've been doing that, and you know, I feel so much better and happier. I've dated a few guys who were heavy on the compliments, so I try to replay those when I feel down.

I do believe people though, and I think they genuinely mean it. Most people have nothing to gain by lying to me about my appearance. Even a man wanting to sleep with me. I realize he is complimenting me to butter me up, but even so, he wouldn't be asking for my attention if he didn't think I was cute/pretty/etc.

• Good One^...need to listen to her..and is upsetting to me when I tell a female she is attractive and she immediately contradicts me..makes me want to go find a female that is easier to get along with.(:

What Guys Said 21

• Not really, but I don't care too much about how my looks are, but I do care about my clothes and style. I hear it all the time " Your cute" Or " Your so handsome" "Sexy" and all the other bs compliments.

I guess I never "accepted" my looks, I'm just Meh about it all. I think my personality outshines my looks in my opinion and I tend to rely on it to get people I'm interested to look at me rather then the other people.

• well actually this is a really good question... some days I feel terribly ugly , others I felt handsome as no other :p most of the times I do't really 100% believe it when someone says I look hot . like for example some days ago my sister told me some of her friends call me her 'hot single little brother XD I was like : really? I found that hard to believe...

I think I sometimes feel like I can't be hot as I have trouble getting a relationship ...

so I need to nuance my answer , I do believe they say it more or less genuinely , but I add other values to their 'thinking of me as a hot person' depending on the looks of the one who gives the compliment

, when a person who I think is unattractive tells me I'm hot , it has less value than when it comes from a person I think is good looking . also when a person from your family tells you you look pretty it's less valuable because they are more or less obligated to give you some compliments now and then XD

• * note : I consider myself as good looking (after all , I'm living with myself for quite some time , so I better like myself ;-) ) , but it often surprises me when others say it ...

• No. My dad always says that I am a handsome man, but I know that he is just saying that because he is my dad, and he wants to make me happy. Nobody else says I look good.

• ...I'm sexy and I know it. ;)

• C...last thing I care about is how I look, how I think...while respecting others...

uh and yeah I don't such compliments :D

anyway...funny to call it"compliments" ...wouldn't that mean it is not real?!

• Wow, there are some people with REALLY low self-esteem here.

I voted B.

I know I'm not the greatest looking guy in the world, but apparently I'm good looking enough to interest cute girls, so I'm happy! XD

• i know I look good no matter what anybody says. you just lack confidence and like you said self esteem. most teens do. somebody says you look good its probably because you are good looking, and are looking good. you are your own worst enemy

• Yeah, I don't see any reason as to why not, unless it's from my parents.

• depends on who is saying it

• I'm surprised when I get complemented

• Most of the time yea.

• no never, because I'm hardly ever told that anyways

• lol not really

• I believe them, but I don't share their opinion.

• I think they are lying. BDD is a bummer :/

• no

• haha, the only one who says that is my mom. ^^

• Nope never I know women look at me, and say too themselves what an ugly fat sob he is.

• No

• No, I know that at best I'm probably okay or average, if not worse. If somebody were to tell me I was good looking, I would dismiss it. But I think that has a lot less to do with my looks or how I feel about my looks, and a lot more to do with my inability to take any sort of compliment in general. Usually I'll acknowledge it and thank them, but inside anytime I hear anything positive about myself I can't accept it or believe it. It's part of the reason I'm such a perfectionist, because nothing is ever good enough. Being the best isn't good enough.

All I got was negative feedback from my peers to my parents growing up, so I honestly have no idea how to accept a compliment. When all you hear is how you're stupid, ugly, worthless, etc. growing up, it's hard to ever see yourself any different. Any time somebody turns you down or doesn't see eye to eye with you, you blame yourself and think you're the problem. So that creates a very negative self image, which definitely includes looks.

So, no, I can't say I'd believe anybody that told me that because I don't know how. Best I can do is fake it like I'm genuinely appreciative, like those dismissive thoughts aren't echoing in my mind the entire time.

• No, I believe they either need glasses or they want something. I think I'm hideous, with my big, bulging eyes & my ears are growing out of my temples. Looks like I have a set of wings growing out of my head for christ sakes. Oh well, I kinda look cool when I wear my earring tho.

What Girls Said 31

• I will believe compliments for the most part. I even believe them when they come from my mom, because she can be brutally honest lol.

I have gotten more compliments as I've gotten older and more confident in myself. And I don't really see why someone would go out of their way to compliment you if they didn't mean it. It's just insecurity that holds us back from believing it.

I don't see the harm in taking compliments for what they are - it really helps boost your confidence, especially if you're having a bad day. That's the same reason I love to GIVE compliments, too.

• It depends on who is complimenting me but most of the time I don't believe when people are complimenting me. When my guy says it I always say "you have to say that because you're my guy" and he says that he doesn't have to say anything and he wants to say it. But some times I feel people have to say something nice to make small talk and that's the only reason they are complmenting me.

• Gonna say you are hawt..you don't really let me see your face behind that mask..but I get the idea you are good looking...nice legs..so how could that be not good?...(:

• thanks... hahahaha

• It depends on who is that person and what is their intention for telling me so.I know some people who compliment others for personal reasons.

• i don't believe it from men off the street...but I have gotten it from a few female co-workers...what do you think?

then another guy I hung out with...just chatting about something, the convo. was like I am not that pretty...he said you r...

what do you think?

• people tell me I'm pretty when they see a picture of me just being myself, but I never really get complimented unless my friends and I are talking about makeup or boys which then leads to the pity party of "I'm ugly" :p none of my friends are ugly but they say so anyway and say that I take such good pictures because of my modeling classes but then there are times when they say I look good when I know I don't because my hair is gross and I'm not wearing makeup :p and the only time a guy compliments me is to annoy my brother or get in my pants :/

• I've had self esteem issues too. And if it is some one I trust, and not related to me, I believe them.

• I'm like a lot of other answerers on here, I have good and bad days. Usually I believe them and I simply say "Thank you". UNLESS I'm in a bar and it's some drunk dude that's obviously trying to pick up on me and then I'll say "Thanks" and walk away.

It's weird when some random person (guy or girl) in a store comes up to me and says I'm pretty. It's a little unnerving that they went out of their way to come over to me and say that. So then I'm paranoid that they're going to follow me out to the parking lot or they want me to give them some "spare change" or something.

• No I don't. I don't like saying really or why do you think that anymore because I feel like it is fishing for more compliments which I do not want. I like being complimented on things other than my looks.

• Yes.

• sometimes,

if it was actually from someone I liked or thought it was cute, then yes I would believe it

if it is from friends or familiy that doesn't count lol

• Not always. At the end, it all boils down to if I feel pretty or not, regardless of who says I am. Although, compliments are always nice and always brighten my mood, but it doesn't keep me feeling pretty. The only time I can constantly feel pretty is if I alone think of myself as pretty.

• I always believe it if they are looking at my eyes at the time because they are usually being sincere besides I am confident and I know it! :-D

• Sometimes I do

• When someone "Compliment me in general" I just lose words,hate it and just don't want to hear it lol,even though it is nice,I just don't take it seriously.

• if someone tells me something, I believe it. I don't think people would say it if they didn't think so.

the biggest compliment ever is when someone you don't know comes up to you randomly and compliments you - then you know it's true!

• Always depends who's saying it, I am my own worst critic as everyone else is to themselves.

• Nope, I don't even like compliments. Bunch of bullsh*t, if you ask me.

• I believe only in their eyes.

• my answer was B because there are some people who just want to be nice and tell you that your pretty and all.

• Yes. And I haven't always looked this good;-)

• Sometimes.

• Yes cause why would they lie unless I asked them if they think I look pretty?

• No. I am too insecure...

• Nope, never believe it.

• I do sometimes. I get told I'm gorgeous even when I think I look like crap. I've also been told by multiple people that I should have high self esteem because probably no one thinks I'm ugly. I see differently. I think I am average.

• I guess sometimes I believe them. If it's coming from a cute guy then I'm always hoping that it's true what he said :D

• I believe them, but I am still insecure. I'm slowly growing to be happy with myself. On days I think I look terrible I still seem to get compliments. Occassionaly from guys too! ha odd. It makes me feel good about myself though. I do think I have a pretty face, but I am not too happy with my body right now. I'm working on it though! I often talk about how when a guy flirts, compliments, hits on me, or checks me out because it makes me feel good. I never used to have that back in high school. My bff said I got really hot after HS.. ha ha I think it comes off as conceited to people sometimes, but that is the last thing I am trying to be. It just makes me feel good about myself.

• People have said I'm pretty and guys at school [Like 3] have said I'm cute but I dunno. it's nice they say it at least.

• Some call me cute, pretty. Some call me ugly. I'm mutual. Heck, there have been people that said I look like a gay guy. So, only sometimes.

• No I have too many insecurities

• More from Girls
    1