What is the thinking behind gauges?

Tell me, what is the thinking behind guages? Do you think they look good? I'm not trying to be condescending; I'm trying to figure out how someone can see them and say, "Yes, I want holes at the sides of my head!"

Most Helpful Guy

• I was talking to a guy about it once, he had loads of them.

'Everyone brings up the old african tribal tradition, but it's not that. It's an image, a look. Like the punk image - they were nonconformists and had an image that separated them from society. That's what it's about, it's non-conformity and an image.'

He painted he a very clever oxymoron. While I could debate the genealogy of the punk ethos, what he said was still very clever.

What Guys Said 1

• Try and remember that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. And also remember that anyone who looks at someone with those horrific metal bivets wedged in their questionable head and finds beauty is a mentally-constipated dullard.

What Girls Said 5

• Gauges, like other forms of piercings, tattoos, have their origins in other countries, religions, etc. Gauges are no different. Granted, many people don't immediately think that they want to channel another religion or group.

Gauges and other piercings also have their place in diffferent social scenes- punk rock, indie, etc.

• I don't wear them nor do I ever want to but its just personal style. Some people like that. Also I'm going to assume its a good way to rebel against their parents. To each their own.

• I have never understood why people find gauges appealing.. I guess it's just a 'trendy' thing.

• i love mine people say mine are huge but I have had them for so long that they don't seem that big to me I honestly think they are attractive I love the way they look, yes its unnatural but its my way of expressing that I love them and I was just raised to think people who like things like that are bad people but in school they are the only people who excepted me and I grew in to the style of things in that nature

• In my opinion I think it's very attractive it's a persona opinion if someone doesn't like my stretched ears I'm not going to argue with them we all have our own opinion I don't think people should wear makeup I don't believe you should cake onsomething unnaturaland horable for your skin