Should people be judged by how they look?

Do you think it right for us to judge people by their physical attributes. I ask this question because I have seen people been called ugly. I think it is not fair for people to be called ugly or stigmatized for the way they look. I also think that people are not responsible for the way they look because they didn't not choose the attributes that they have. If we were all given choices to choose from, everyone would have chosen the most beautiful attributes that there can ever be.

what is your take on this issue

when I meant being judged by their physical attributes. I meant that these people are being judged for what they were born with. for instance someone being laughed at because he has a big head or big ear or even wide mouth. of course, if someone dresses sloppy or is unhygienic is being judged or condemned for how he is looking, I wouldn't think it is unfair because these are things that are within his control as least he could at least have his bath and dress well!

good comments though!

Most Helpful Guy

• Judging someone by their physical appearance is inevitable. You tell if a person you don't know is rich, unhygienic, sporty, cool, fashionable, attractive solely on the way they present themselves. And to be completely honest, since the ability to rationalize and judge is an intrinsic human trait, there is little you can do about it.

That's on a secondary level. On a primary level, all of us are born to look a certain way: eye color, bone structure, metabolism, hair etc. Things we have less control over. Judging someone solely on basis of their BODY and not their hygiene, taste of dressing IS a little unfair. But if you observe closely, most people who are considered unattractive by a person is rarely due to their physical features but more so how they carry themselves, how they dress, how clean and maintained they keep themselves.

This is why I don't think no one is born ugly, there are just people who don't respect their physical selves. There are always clothes, colors, shapes, genres of fashion etc that suit you better and 'work' for you. The 'Good looking' game is merely a competition on who is most successful in achieving their niche when it comes to appearance. So yes, for me its fair to judge people by their appearance.

I take three showers a day, haircut every week, countless products and meticulously plan my clothes, apart from a healthy diet and lots of workout. The hell I go through in doing so, I can not expect to like someone else who doesn't at least give it a try. Appearance is never to be compromised upon, it leaves a strong first impression, and genuinely makes you feel good about yourself, other than being liked by people which is a trivial benefit for me but considerable nonetheless.

The whole 'inner beauty' is a very tertiary issue. I will only be marrying one person and befriending a few, so people's inner beauty doesn't necessarily interest me. But I will however, be very specific about the other million people and refuse to company one who looks like an unhealthy sack of meat and smells the same way.

So the bottom line is, being judged by your appearance is beyond our control. Even if people don't pay much consideration to it, choose to ignore it or not say anything about it...we must try our very best to be utmost presentable at all costs. Because the benefits of doing so for OUR personal wellbeing are endless, and being well received by the society is another free advantage. We must at least try our best, right?

Hope this answers your question :)

• Regarding Update: That's exactly what I'm talking about. Tyra banks has a huge forehead, taylor lautner has a weird nose, Sarah Jessica Parker has 'ugly' hands. Yet all these celebs know how to not only work with what they have, but use their 'flaws' to their advantage. I have seen so many celebs show casing their scars and birthmarks with the kind of dresses they wear. It's all about how hard you work on yourself, to make the best out of what you have by birth.

What Guys Said 4

• People will be judged on their appearance. It may not be fair to the less fortunate but there's nothing wrong with it per se. You judge an apple's appearance before you eat it, do you not? You judge the smell of a perfume or deodorant before wearing it. Why? Because you're judging everything to see if it's in your best interest or your preference. Is it fair to the apples who don't look "right"? Or the perfume's fault? No. The fact of the matter is that beauty is subjective. Not everyone is going to be considered beautiful and we have to accept it. Though I will agree that someone should not be judged on their appearance and I do my best to avoid it but even the best of us will let someone's or something's appearance detour us at some point in life. No point in worry about it.

• some people worry because they are being laughed at by how they look, their self esteem drops and they just assume that they are at a disadvantage in life because of how they look

• I think we naturally and subconsciously assess people regarding their characteristics, their intelligence, their personality, whether they smile, whether they seem arrogant, how they look, how they dress, whether they wear a lot of makeup, etc. The important thing I think is that we shouldn't insult others or unfairly disadvantage them in regards to things they can't change such as their appearance, intelligence, economic situation or background, etc.

• Do you think Gollum is ugly? OR smeagol? Is it fair to call Gollum ugly?

• I think you would enjoy the movie "That's what I am"

What Girls Said 4

• Agree with you completely .The guy who is using the perfume comparison is going about it the wrong way. There's a significant difference between a perfume bottle and a human (or least the last time I checked) because a perfume bottle does not have feelings but humans do. To purposely judge someone and call them ugly is far worse than calling a perfume ugly. Yes people do have preferences and you can't make yourself feel romantically attracted to someone when you clearly don't but you can still be friendly with them and treat them with respect and who knows, you may just eventually end up falling for them after all . You don't have to call people names or treat someone as if their less human just because they don't fit your criteria of beautiful. If someone is obese for example, I don't see why they should be judged because firstly you may not know their circumstances or health condition and secondly what kinda satisfaction would a decent, respecting person get out of calling someone a name based on their appearance.

• If you're going to try to refute me, at least have the decency to mention me by name ;) The point was that everything is judged for a reason. The reason being the humans, animals and even plants have preferences. Whether those are subconscious or conscious, they're there. Are you suggesting that people base their actions or thoughts on the feelings of others? lol. Last time I checked, it was the exact opposite. Did I not say that people shouldn't be judged? Reread my answer, love. Truth is truth

• Well apologies on my side too then :)

• exactly what kind of satisfaction do they get. I think it is awful. even if you think someone is not cute enough for you, you don't need to throw it at the person's face or treat the person like trash.

• I agree entirely. Ugly is such a horrible word. I think even if you are assessing someone for a relationship and their appearance doesn't suit you then all you need to say to other people is that they are unsuitable, there is no reason to elaborate simply to satisfy others curiousity. In regards to judging people for friendship or association then their appearance has nothing to do with it.

I had a male friend before who I was walking with tell me when he saw a girl with a deformed face 'f**k she makes me want to vomit'. I replied to him, that if he ever says something like that again in front me our friendship would be over. He was really shocked but he never said anything like that in front of me again. Before he said that I did not realize that people could actually say something that cruel, especially in hearing distance of that person. It took me weeks to stop hating him and start talking to him again.

• i like people who think like you. I believe that the people who need friendship most aren't people who are cute or have something that everybody likes but people who are rejected and at a disadvantage because this is not something that they wanted and even if they want to, they can never change the way they are. so for those of us that have everything, I think we are just privileged to be the way we are. it doesn't mean that we are more special and those people arent. it could have been anybody.

• I agree, we are more fortunate, not better and sadly it seems the more fortunate we are, the more sympathy and pity we get for things that definitely don't require it.

• It's inevitable and some say innate.

• of course it is innate for us to want to judge things but it is a bad habit to want to make people feel bad about how they look or don't think?. before I do anything to someone, I always want to put myself in their shoes and see how I would feel if someone did something like that to me

• no, but they can be judged (for lack of better word) by how they dress. If a person is sloppy and wears swweatpants and a tanktop all the time, you probably won't think they are as attractive as if they dressed nicely