Why am I different sizes in different types of clothing?

all my shirts are size xs. but I'm a 4 in jeans, a 2 in skirts and slacks, and a 0 in dresses. can anyone explain this to me?

Most Helpful Guy

• Are they all the same brands? Women's clothing is notorious for different brands each using their own sizing system. I have a friend who can vary from anywhere to size 0 to size 6 depending on the brand. That's how out of whack women's sizing is. Men's sizing is more standard because it is based on measurements. Size 32x32 pants means 32" waist and 32" inseam.

I like our sizing system better because it makes more sense and doesn't leave room for different brands to play with sizing.

What Guys Said 6

• Clothing and appeal are not all made using the same standards. It's like everything in life. People want to differentiate themselves from their competition.

• It depends in with country it's been made. I have the same problem, so it's best to keep a book and take notes about it, write down the sizes of the shops so when you go shopping "again" you just whip out that book and you know which size you have to buy ;-) that's my little trick, just have a list, so it saves you time and comming-back-to-change-problems and No-not-you-again-complaining :D

• Depending on the material the clothing is made from, they'll be different sizes. Like when I wear really thick shoes (skate shoes) I can wear a bigger size because the material consumes a lot of room, but I have to buy smaller Converse because they're so thin.

• It doesn't matter. If you look good. You definitely look great!

• my girl friend wear one sq foot of clothing :D!

• Different clothing companies make things with slightly different sizes or scales.

What Girls Said 3

• I know what you mean, and it's kind of frustrating sometimes.

You might find that the way articles of clothing fit changes depending upon the cut of the item and what material it is made out of or even what brand it is. Don't worry, it's normal. Your body is unique, and manufacturers tend to make their sizes different.

Example: Shoes.

I wear a 7 1/2 in most heels and an 8 in tennis shoes, excluding Converse and Vans.

• different companies vary is their measurements ex. gap jeans usually runs 2 sizes big vs true religion jeans that run small. as for the size on different clothing items I don't know. hit me up if you find out. thanks.

• I don't know why I'm like the same. I wear 2 in jeans and jeggings yet 4 in skinny jeans XS in shirts medium in coats (mostly to fit over my shoulders) and anywhere from a 0-6 in dresses and like a 0 or 2 in skirts oh and sometimes I can even wear childrens clothes lol. and my shoes vary by like 3 and a half sizes. it is so crazy. so I pretty much don't order clothes online unless I already have the item and I just want it in a different color or something. maybe it has to do with material and fit and brands? good think I know how to tailor most my clothes myself :) and to a guys comment mentioned YES GUYS HAVE IT SO MUCH EASIER WITH CLOTHES!