Should girlfriend be able to engineer their lads look?

Basically I hate my boyfriends hair...it makes me a little embaressed and it's a huge turn off. (The offending hair being a mullethawk type deal)

Thing is when I brought it up he gave the argument that he isn't allowed to decide anything about my appearance so why should I dictate his. Technically I agree with his point but I still find it a trial not to shear him like a sheep.

Any thoughts?

• Yay
  • Nay

Most Helpful Guy

• once he goes in for a serious job interview with a haircut like that he won't be taken seriously lol

but to answer your question, yes and no.

my girlfriend has used occasions like holidays and birthdays to buy me clothes she thinks would look good on me, and for the most part, I like her selection. who else am I trying to impress anyway? but its also because she knows what id like and doesn't get me anything id be uncomfortable wearing.

I would absolutely hate it if she bought me an article of clothing that I just felt ridiculous in. Same thing should be with your boyfriend. Tell him what you personally would think looked best on him. If he's uncomfortable with it, than he just is, and you should embrace his individuality. and if you can't, you probably don't like him enough anyway

• He's a tradie so his hair isn't really an issue :/

What Guys Said 8

• As silly as his hair looks, he is right. There is only one thing you will ever have that nobody else can claim dominion over, your body. Nobody, not even a lover, can ever take that from you.

• At a point where he wants to be taken seriously in the real world, he will learn quickly.

By the way, has he ever suggested you change your appearance?

• Sometimes, I mean I'm growing my hair out because I know he likes it better but that argument doesn't work because then he just gets childish " Well you can go bald before you change my hair"

• Are you with a guy who is suffering from arrested development?

• Somehow the arrested development comment didn't come up till after I commented, hence lack of sense...

• I think in the end, it's the guy's decision how they want to look and whether they're going to change their look. Me, I'd probably let her change mine, because I don't care that much, but if she tried something I didn't like, such as forcing me to gel my hair and such, then I'd say no. For the most part, I wouldn't mind.

• It's a two-way street so if you're suggesting changes, you'd have to be open to him suggesting changes for you. With hair it can be really touchy though because it's one of the big ways a guy identifies himself. I'll agree though that that's not a good haircut to have but maybe you should try to ease into the idea of it and he'll open up eventually. If not he might just be being a little unfair

• I am on your side..provided you believe that bfs should have input the other direction..I get REALLY sick of females on here telling me that it's none of my business if I want my woman to leave her pubes or limit her makeup or not get breast augmentation or areolae reduction...I certainly listen to and take VERY seriously ANYTHING that my wife says about my appearance...and she respects my opinion..sure the decision is up to the individual...but I wouldn't be around for long with any female who didn't care what I thought..the way I look at it..i look in the mirror 4 or 5 times in a day...but my mate looks at me all day long..should I NOT care what she thinks? ...(:

• I would say you should be able to communicate to him, in an open, friendly and non-invasive manner that he should care about his hair more as it is a personality treat.

• If women can "engineer" their boyfriends than the opposite is fair too. Basically, do you think a boyfriend should get to engineer his girl's look? If you say no, but wanna try and change his looks, you're a hypocrite and should grow the f*** up. If you say yes, then well.. whatever. So until you let him decide on YOUR looks you have no right to decide on his if he's not cool with it.

• He pretty much already does, the only reason I'm growing my hair out and not dying it stupid colors anymore is him. I also can't help but wear certain clothes that I know he prefers. I know it's his choice and I can't change anything I'd just like it if he cared about my opinion half as much as I care about his.

• If he has asked you to change his looks and you do, only fair he does the same.

• If you don't like his hairstyle. Break up! If a girl told me she didn't like my hairstyle, I would think she was just with me because of the attention I gave her. Grow up!

• How is breaking up with him over his haircut growing up? Sounds pretty childish. I'm not dating him for his hair and we've been together for a couple years now, we live together and I love him for more than just his hair.

What Girls Said 5

• I think that your opinion should matter to him but you shouldn't be the one to decide. If he takes your opinion into consideration then that's all he needs to do, he has to choose on his own since it is his hair.

• Yes and no. Mine has agreed to let me dress him up, only once, in whatever I wish. He has a very short list of things he refuses to wear, ever, though. He has agreed because he knows that although I have no problem with the way he looks, it'd make me happy to see him in things beyond the norm. Of course, he has been given permission to do the exact same, if he cared to.

• He is completely correct. Nothing you can do besides using really sneaky methods so he thinks it's his own idea to cut it.

• You have no idea the kinds of tactics I've tried D: even hinting that a crew cut might look good and the defenses come up. I know he is in the right, just gotta hope it's a temporary thing :/

• Alcohol, scissors...

• LOL I hate that hair too, but he has a point. Let him be.

• i would only make genuinly kind suggestions, and I would not expect him to aggree.