Should I be ashamed of being metrosexual?

I consider my self metro sexual, is it something that I should hide and not let a lot of people know about it?

Is it shameful to be metro?

Most Helpful Girl

• I think metrosexual guys are really hot

• lol thanks for boosting mister arrogant's ego.

• it doesn't "effect" you? you mean it doesn't affect you. seriously, learn to spell. you make too many spelling mistakes. look, I don't disrespect you. you're the one who started it. by the way, sissy is a quote from an article I read (about metrosexual guys). sissy is not an insult. metrosexuals are sissies (not all of them, but most are). that's a fact. calling a gay man gay doesn't offend him. calling a metrosexual sissy doesn't offend him (since that's what he is).

• again: nothing wrong with being metrosexual. as long as you don't overdo it (shave your legs/care about male cosmetics), you'll be okay. good luck to you.

What Girls Said 29

• Your sexual orientation has nothing to do with your personality, period! Don't be afraid to go against the grain just because some people haven't gotten over their prejudices yet! It's okay to be homosexual, transexual, metrosexual, heterosexual, or just fill-in-the-blank-sexual! It's your body, so don't let anyone else dictate what you do with it!

You don't have to justify your sexuality to anyone. But I recomend that you be honest with anyone that you are seeing just so that you are both on the same page as to what you like and don't like.

• Metrosexual is not a category of sexuality. Not to take away from the general tone of your answer, which is very nice.

• Well not in the same way that the other ones are, I agree. I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with it.

• What? No!

You should NEVER be ashamed who you are! Who cares what other people think.

People that mind, don't matter and people that matter don't mind ;)

Just be yourself! The world is full of wannabees and look-a-likes, it could use some real people!

• Not at all. Metro guys always smell better.

• No, it's not shameful. You should dress in whatever way you want, and you're hotter than a lot of non-metro guys anyway so you really have nothing to worry about. Guys can be a**holes about it, but most girls are either going to like it or not care.

• don't girls like tough and manly guys? no offence question asker, but the truth is, metrosexual guys tend to be wimpy and feminine.

• Sure, whatever. Read through some of your comments- "seriously, how are real men supposed to take them seriously? real men treat metrosexuals like a sissy/a prison bitch (at least here in germany) for a reason" (so, are you saying you're not a real man?). It's not hard to see why I get the impression you see them as beneath you, but if I'm wrong I retract the comment.

• Ok, I admit it. I see them as beneath me. I simply can't help it. Don't blame me. I don't respect them, but I tolerate them. End of story.

• Pretty sure being metrosexual is as obvious as a nudist in a nunnery. Not really something you need to 'admit to' seeing as it pertains to your style and whatnot.

But anyway, no don't hide it (don't know how you would, anyway). Lots of metro guys these days. Nothing to be ashamed of. Different strokes for different folks.

• So, you shave regularly, style your hair, take care of your skin, carefully select your clothes, use deodorants/antiperspirants... OMG, you should be shoot by the firing squad on the main square LOL!

Just kidding, of course - taking care of ones outside is a good thing and certainly nothing to be ashamed of. There are, however some "rough guys" out there, who you might avoid sharing your beauty secrets with, but the majority of normal world would take that OK.

• The best advice ever for anyone : Be yourself because everyone else is taken. And you are better at being yourself than being someone else. :) Cheers. ^_^

Life's too short to suppress who you are which in turn stresses you out and gives you wrinkles I'd assume. BE YOURSELF! YOU ARE AWESOME! ;)

• Simple answer: No.

Complex answer: Being yourself, whomever that is, is the cool thing to do. Not a shameful hider. Shame is something you put on yourself, other people don't dictate that. (And those who think they can you're not going to be happy around anyway)

• I would like to add...the only time shame can be dictated onto a person by other people is when they go around trying to be disrespectful or messing with other people's lives.

• Noooo. Of course not. ^-^

In fact, I wish more guys were metrosexual.

I appreciate when people try to look their best.

It would get annoying if a guy...or girl... were constantly looking at themself in the mirror though.

• There's nothing wrong with that, as long as your happy the way you are then it's fine. You don't have to tell the world and make up a reason for it, you are who you are and they don't need an explanation why.

• It's part of who you are and I don't see a reason to be ashamed of wanting to spend time and money looking presentable. Beats the hell out of looking like a bum in your pjs in Wal Mart, right? If people are going to judge you based on that, why would you really be considered about their opinion anyway.

• of course not! people who don't accept you for you aren't worth it. so you care about how you look, that's a good thing. being metro sexual isn't shameful. you should be proud of who you are, just don't let others push you around, namely other guys with bad attitudes that need a reality check.

• Girls love it and by the way your picture looks it works for you lol :). I think you just need to be cautious around the guys, guys might give you a hard time for it.

• I don't think you can hide the fact that you are metrosexual since it is the way you present yourself visually to others. Another note, I see no reason to be ashamed of it... =/

• nah.. it's good to care about your appearance ;)

• They already know by looking at you... :l

It's your style so no point in hiding it.

• No. What's wrong with knowing how to take care of yourself and wanting to look nice?

• u can do that without forsaking you your masculinity

• it doesn't for sake you masculinity it just means the guy is cautious about his looks and girls like that, so wouldn't it make him more masculine if he can get the attention of more girls?

• no, you shouldn't be ashamed about it. embrace the fashionista in you.

although, it does turn me off a bit when a guy is more fashionable and coiffed than me...

• Hell no! On the contrary, It's a good thing ^^

• No shame in being yourself :D

• No, I think it can be a good thing. I appreciate it when guys take Care of their appearance.

• I don't think taking care of yourself is a bad thing. My best friend is metro. There are some people who like to hate on him, but I think it's good that he likes to take care of himself and look good. Just be you. :)

• You shouldn't be ashamed. The same way some girls are ashamed to say they take initiative when talking to a guy. However you shouldn't bring it up unless the situation requires it. By the way you never said you were straight or gay

• You shouldn't be ashamed. The same way some girls are ashamed to say they take initiative when talking to a guy. However you shouldn't bring it up unless the situation requires it. By the way toy never said you were straight or gay

• what is that?

• You know you could have looked it up in a dictionary. lol. ;P But here you go: "A young, urban, heterosexual male with liberal political views, an interest in fashion, and a refined sense of taste."

• so fez from that 70s show is metrosexual? hmmm...i never knew there was a term for that. I want a metrosexual boyfriend!

• nope its hotttt

• Isn't "metrosexual" simply code for "style-conscious guy"? How would you hide that?

• No, you shouldn't. You really shouldn't care what other people think and just be yourself.

• I don't believe you owe people anything. Life is too short so it's better to do the things that makes us happy. You can't please everyone anyway. It's their choice to accept you or reject you and if the latter happened, then you lost nothing at all. :)

What Guys Said 32

• I'm pretty metrosexual almost verging on feminine in some ways, it depends exactly what you mean by metrosexual. I pluck my eyebrows, take care of my appearence and care about fashion - I certainly don't hide these things, in fact I'm rather proud of these things in a way.

I also have 2 plants in my room, use candles all the time, enjoy clothes shopping, own about 10 pairs of shoes and get very emotional at films sometimes. I don't shout about these more feminine aspects, but I'm not ashamed of them. That's who I am. All my good friends know about these things and it has never affected my friendship with them. If it did, then they wouldn't be very good friends really. I sometimes act a bit more masculine to fit in a bit if I'm around very manly, sporty, muscly, macho men or something, but I wouldn't stop being myself, I'd just slightly adjust certain things and maybe not say some things that I would normally or whatever. But I'm a lot happier when I can just be myself.

• ur both gay

u can date each other

• There's a big difference between metrosexual and homosexual. Would you say that every girl who likes football or rugby is a lesbian? No. Then why would you say that every guy who cares about his appearance or whatever is gay? Idiot.

• I like the way you wrote that.

• What is wrong with the people answering this question? For those of you that aren't using full capacity of your brain:

Metrosexual: a usually urban heterosexual male who pays much attention to his personal appearance by fastidious grooming, beauty treatments and fashionable clothes.

Homosexual: 1. of, relating to, or characterized by a tendency to direct sexual desire toward another of the same sex. 2. of, relating to, or involving sexual intercourse between persons of the same sex.

They are not the same. Being one does not automatically make you the other. Just because I'm black with dreads doesn't make me a pot smoking rapper with a criminal record. This is called stereotyping. I'm an all-out metrosexual. Shave everywhere (don't like body hair), pluck eyebrows (like em neat), keep my clothes nice and always sharp (need to look good), the hair is on point (I keep a fresh lining and it's always neat and clean and ready for a lady to run her hands through it without being grossed out), always smell good (Aqua di Gio, Burberry Touch, Lacoste, Kenneth Cole Reaction colognes-ladies love them) and always keep the Johnson clean (shaved or groomed).

Ladies love all this sh*t. Look at the above answers for your proof if you think not. Imma guys guy. I ain't gay, I play and love every sport (but mostly football), I git dirty because I don't give a sh*t and I workout 4 times a week. Ladies love a man that keeps it together. Some ladies love a metrosexual and some love the Brawny man. Be you and be cool.

• you pluck your eyebrows and you shave your legs? LOL how are real men supposed to take you seriously? they will teat you like a sissy/a prison bitch (at least here in germany). maybe it's different in the states. American girls seem to love feminine guys (example: Justin Bieber)...

• You got Justin Bieber stuck in your head bro. You're right they do things differently here in the US. But I'm built more like a Will Smith & I have absolutely no problem with the ladies. Not all chicks dig the metro guy some like em rough.But my experience is that they like a guy who takes good care of himself. Just because I pluck my eyebrows don't equal sissy/bitch,it just means I don't want a uni-brow. Dude I'm 6'0" 220lbs. I don't like hair on my body, I wanna show the striations in my muscles

• its just a label/name. its not really a sexual orientation. don't think of it as an actual category. its just more of an appearance thing. you put more into how you look than traditional guys. so what. most girls will appreciate it unless you actually carry yourself extreemely feminine along with it.

i am from the deep south where men are "supposed" to me macho and rugged like paul bunyan or something. we are all supposed to be greasy from working on cars with chew in our mouth. its kind of silly if you think about it. but I don't let that stop me from being who I want to be.

i am an mma fighter, ride 4 wheelers all the time, mud boggin, fishing, hunting, drinking beer, I walk and talk just like your typical georiga boy, blah blah blah...but I have more clothes than any girl I know, my house is littered with gq magazines and pages I have torn out because I like the way the outfit was put together, I use mud masks on my face, I get my teeth whitened, etc. etc.

so who cares. its just your preference of how you take care of yourself. is some caveman man don't like it and has something to say about it, who cares. just smile knowing his girlfriend is probably checking you out and wishing her pet silverback gorilla boyfriend looked and smelled more like you. that's what I do.

• I mean I wouldn't walk around gallivanting it for no reason (eg "Hey I'm Rashad and I'm metrosexual. How's it going?") But if you clearly look the part and someone asks, I don't see why you'd lie about it if it's a label you're actively trying to attain. I mean I personally take care of myself-dress nicely, wear cologne, etc...all that good stuff, but I could never call myself metro without laughing...it just carries so many crazy, largely unattractive characteristics that it's hard to take seriously. For example, if you look up the definition, metrosexual is basically the state of loving yourself instead of women or men. It's pure, unadulterated narcissism and selfishness, which in most cases isn't the greatest quality to pride yourself on. So you may shop for clothes every weekend, spend 2 hours getting ready in the morning and hit the gym 11 times a week, but do yourself a favor and it just call it taking care of yourself-the connotations that come along with calling yourself metro just seem too negative unless you truly do embody all of those qualities.

• nothing wrong with taking pride in your appearance. It's good to make an effort.

• Thats like asking, "should I be ashamed for using a baby wipe to clean my butt instead of dry toilet paper"

Be who you are comfortable being. If the people around you don't like it then they aren't the right people to be hanging around.

• 1. You should never be ashamed of who you are

2. no, it's not shameful.

3. "metrosexual "is a subjective term. It can mean just taking care of your appearance and body, which at this point in time, is the normal thing to do.

4. I disagree with that term.

5. How can you hide it? lol

I am not metro but I have friends like that, I don't judge

• Yes, before long Oprah will invite you onto her program if you don't stop it.

• You own it buddy. Nothing wrong with being metro. If you are want to get with a really cool girl, the best starting point is to just be who you are. It's hard to f*** that up, and the type of person you are going to attract will be more compatible with you anyway. I have several female friends who specifically go for metro guys, think body hair is gross and would love it if their boyfriends would do a little manscaping.

• Do whatever you want and never be ashamed of anything.

• if your metro its not like can hide, its a style people will notice

• i think men should dress like men, and women should dress like women. period, unless of course your a flaming homosexual or transgendered, then wear whatever the hell you want. I personally think that guys that put too much effort into their looks are insecure about something. I understand that most of the girls on here probably would love dating a man that dressed like a nancy, tight shirts, gelled douchebag hair etc. etc. I think it looks stupid but that's just my opinion.

• Dudes will bust on you but girls love that sh*t ha ha and even tho your halfway gay (told ya dudes would bust on you lol) you gotta be man enough to stand behind who you are and how you like to act the manliest thing you could be doin is not hiding anything about yourself and bein a proud metrosexual! Haha

• A little bit.

• It's no biggie bro.

• how is it possible to hide it? I'm pretty sure the term just means caring about your appearance

• That depends on the company you're in... just like everything else in this world... it's probably also not the best idea to tell Nazis that you're part Jewish. lol

• Never be ashamed of your sexuality. We only live once. Don't let others judgement hold you back from enjoying yourself to the fullest.You"ll always find someone else who has the same intrest's as you or think's its hot.

• ...what? he never said anything about sexuality

• metro "sexual" I know what it means. But that's why I used the word.

• No way !

being sensible and giving sh*t about what the society considers as manly looking is actually not that bad.

• 0|0
  • no you metro!

• Yes

• Be proud!

• though there's nothing wrong to be metrosexual, you gotta be careful and spend your money wisely.

• why would a heterosexual man dress like a homosexual girlie man? I don't get it. it's not manly, but you shouldn't care what other people think. dress the way you want. if you feel comfortable dressing up (like a girl/instead of doing manly things), there is nothing wrong with it. most girls are into feminine stylish guys nowadays (Justin Bieber, thank you). just make sure you don't shave your legs/you don't use lip balm. that would be too much.

• Do something for us. Without belittling any individual or group, tell us exactly what a real man is.

• lame. try again.

• Whats that?

• heterosexual (often male) who tends to put more consideration into his appearance and behavior than the "typical" heterosexual would.

• There was a good Southpark episode about that.

• It just means that you are fit, not a bum, don't wear clothes from walmart, in other words, the guy who gets the hot girls lol

• I have no clue what that is lol someone tell me

• I don't know why you are anonymous...Lmao...but anyway...You could have looked it up in a dictionary. lol. ;P But here you go: "A young, urban, heterosexual male with liberal political views, an interest in fashion, and a refined sense of taste."

• oh OK I was going to but I'm too lazy lol...and I don't know why I'm anon either lol

• people tend to mix metro and homo sexual terms. Being one of them doesn't mean you're the other one. (despite that imho homosexuals tend to be more metrosexuals than others).

I don't consider myself metrosexual, but I'm not the dirty stinky boy around.

• I agree...just because you shave, makes sure you take a shower, use deodrant and perhaps do your hair...doesn't make you metro...thats how normal guys/men are suppose to be.

• More from Guys
    2