Why do many girls think that it's OK to criticize someone’s appearance due to suffering from male baldness?

Basically I have been receding since my teens, and I decided to shave my head because I wanted to move on and accept that I have been dealt with the bad hair genes. But since doing it I have been getting mixed reactions, while most of my guy friends think it’s fine, the girls on the other hand are a lot more outspoken – saying things like “you used to be so handsome”, or “it’s horrible” etc. “why did you do it?!?”, as if I have mutilated myself or something! OK, I gather hair generally makes you more attractive, but clearly for many men it’s not something they have much say in (unless you want to take libido killing drugs, risky hair transplants which look even worse and cost a bomb)

So why is it that male pattern baldness – something you cannot cure – is deemed to be something you can pick on and laugh at? whilst any other bodily changes (weight gain) which you CAN do something about, has to be kept hush, hush. All this criticism I am getting from people over something I can’t control, is like me going up to a girl and saying, “oh you’d put on a bit of weight recently haven’t you?” or “you’re a bit out of shape aren’t you?”, which would quite rightly be seen as horrible, cruel and degrading (although on the contrary, something you can change). Yet there’ a double standard being a guy whose hair is receding, where people can tell you to your face that you’ve lost your looks now, etc. or you don’t look like you now, or it looks horrible. I'm trying not to let it knock my self-esteem, but it's hard when girls my age have such an aversion to baldness, like as if it grosses them out, when in fact my face, my eyes, my character, my body are just the same as before :-/

What Girls Said 2

• 1. Why do many girls think that it's OK to criticize someone’s appearance due to suffering from male baldness?

Probably not a lot since most girls know as being a woman they face far more criticism about their physical appearance and girls tend to be critical of female physical attractiveness.

This girl does think it's OK to criticize bald guys. Baldness is a part of your appearance and for some it affects your physical attractivness. It may increase or decrease it but it does affect.

2. So why is it that male pattern baldness – something you cannot cure – is deemed to be something you can pick on and laugh at?

While in America it's freedom that allows people to pick on and laugh at others as long as no slander and assault isn't involved. Though to me it doesn't matter if it's not curable it's not a deformity or physical illness so you can pick on and laugh at.

"whilst any other bodily changes (weight gain) which you CAN do something about, has to be kept hush, hush"

Where are you from? In America most guys can't shut up about how fat the women are. There are blogs, forums, and sites dedicated to it...seems like they forget most Americans are fat so that means men too.

"Yet there’ a double standard being a guy whose hair is receding, where people can tell you to your face that you’ve lost your looks now, etc. or you don’t look like you now, or it looks horrible"

There's also the double standard that women get judged more harshly for aging, not conforming to gender roles, not being pleasing to men, their physical appearance, and their sexual past. Life's not fair but as a guy you generally win on the double standards bit.

"but it's hard when girls my age have such an aversion to baldness, like as if it grosses them out, when in fact my face, my eyes, my character, my body are just the same as before :-/"

So either date older women who are used to bald guys, date girls who are into bald guys, or accept that some girls your age are averse to guys who are bald.

Though to me it would be best suited to get some self-esteem from yourself rather than other people validating your physical attractiveness.

• Having male pattern baldness is nothing to be a shame of, plus who cares what people think. If those girls don't like it, then Oh Well, there are plenty of other girls that will like it. =) Just be confident and rock it! Girls LOVE it when a Guy has Confidence! Don't let no one still your joy. =)

What Guys Said 0