Are pants actually bigger than the size printed?

seems to me like some pants' waist sizes are bigger than they say on the tag. I wear a size 36 in jeans, but the tape measure says a bit bigger than that. anyone else notice this?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yup, its called vanity sizing. They mark the pant size as smaller than what it is in the hopes that you'll feel good about yourself enough to buy it and keep buying from there.

What Girls Said 4

• It's the opposite here. Just today I went shopping - all my clothes I bought 4/5 years ago still fit. The same size nowadays doesn't even come close. I will admit, in that time I have gained weight, but all of my friends are noticing they cannot wear the sizes they used to. We think it's a way to make people lose weight.

• yes my daughter wears a 24 inch waist and in some jeans it's true to size and in some it's bigger on her.

• Its to make you feel good about yourself. I have a pair of shorts that are size 2, but I wear jeans that are size 5, it doesn't really make sense. lol

• It depends on the style, material, and brand.

What Guys Said 2

• Yes. It does happen. It's called "vanity sizing." I'm not sure how often it's done. Partially, it can be attribute to different companies using different scales, units, or differences in estimations. Also, pants are worn lower than your "Natural waist." So if you're chunkier on your upper body than your lower body, you'll wear a smaller size than your actual waist line. On the other hand, if you have a larger lower body, you might end up wearing a larger "waist" size in pants than your actual waist.

• Yes. Its called 'vanity sizing' in the industry.

Gap brands upsize by 2" in the waist.