Why can't girls win?

It seems like the skinny ones are called anorexic and the bigger ones are called fat. There's no in between. I'm asking because last year I weighed 156 and then I just went to an event this year and I weighed 129. (I'm 5'10".) Last year people were calling me fat and I lost some weight and now a bunch of people are calling me anorexic? Surprisingly, the terms are equally hurtful. So why can't girls win? Why are they either fat or anorexic?

Most Helpful Guy

• Hi Allijackson,

You, as a girl, and all girls for that matter, need to stop listening to people who aren't qualified to determine what's best for their health.

Your doctor, personal trainer, nutritionist and other health professionals are who you want to listen to.

Only about 2% of women in the United States have eating disorders. Most women need to understand the dangers of not enough exercise, eating lots of processed and fatty foods and of course, not knowing what a healthy weight should be.

If you haven't done so, you and all girls (and guys for that matter) should speak to those people who are best trained to help them.

What Guys Said 10

• Haters gonna hate. The question is, why do you care what haters think? They're a small group of people who don't really represent the majority.

At 5'10", you were probably fine at 156, and I can't imagine you being "anorexic" at 129. But if you're going to let a few people (mostly women, I'd bet, because it is really women who are the most critical of other women) dictate how you feel about yourself, then you WILL always lose. Instead, what should be important is how YOU feel about yourself.

Let the haters hate. They will only burn themselves up with their hatred. You should rise above it, where they can't touch you.

• The people who called you fat are either retarded or didn't actually exist. Yes, I'm suggesting that maybe you convinced yourself that being 156lbs at 5'10'' was actually fat. I don't know any sensible person who would think that at all.

Right now you're underweight and I'm not shocked in the least bit that people have something to say about that.

• Because most individuals look at other people as a way to evaluate themselves. This can be good or bad, depending on their own beliefs and views about themselves. You can't make everyone happy. Ask yourself which messages you give more attention and weight to: the positive messages or the negative messages?

• Why do you even care? Don't bother listen to them. Also beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Personally, I don't care as long as you're not too fat (200lbs+) or too skinny (105 below).

• 5'10" and 129lbs?

You probably looks super hot. Way better than last year.

You win :)

• because the people who said that are stupid and dumb and have no feelings for other people and by the way you ain't fat don't let that offend you,so your find the way you are don't try to change the way you look and I think it has something to do with beauty these days and onetime except it was on Facebook some guy called me ugly and never one on here onetime as well and so there is no reason for people to be using these words and insulting there feelings so they just have no respect at all

• there is definitely an inbetween either you lost to much weight or those people are idots and fat is a perception word like beauty

• You just need to be comfortable with yourself. Be healthy. That's all that matters.

• this isn't even really a question...i mean like what answer would be satisfactory in this circumstance? you think someone is going to give you a REASON why girls can't win? what would an example of an acceptable answer be? I honestly think you are either just trying to start an argument or just fish for people telling you that you a absolutely perfect just the way you are

• or she's actually trying to find a reason...no need to be a jerk to the girl

• it is impossible to give a satisfactory reason...nothing can possibly be legitimate. further more even if this supposed reason does exist, what would one do with that newly obtained information?

• there is no in between? Kim kardasian is the in between she is what I could consider voluptuous

What Girls Said 4

• Haven't you heard "people will talk whether you're doing bad or good"? Everyone is going to say what they want to say, quit caring about it and just learn to love yourself.

• Well firstly, that's a bit of a generalization - it may just be that the people you are hanging around with are insensitive or rude or hurtful. If they were polite, they would not be commenting on your weight in the first place. And if they were your friends, then they would find better words to express their concern.

Personally, I'm 5'5" and I weight 100 pounds. By any standard I'm slim but no one has called me anorexic or anything of the sort. They say thin and if they're worried, they say I'm underweight so clearly there are other words in the English language to describe it.

• People won't be satisfy with whatever real images of us because they were f***ed up by the media.Stop listen to what people say because no matter how good you look,you won't be as "GOOD" as the images in the media portrayed.(in their eyes)

• It's not really a girl issue, most like a human issue.

Honestly, just focus on being healthy and looking good. More than likely the people criticizing you need to put the fork down or eat a tad bit more.