Where did you get your inspiration for your tat?

I always been wanting one, since I was like 13. Gone through different ideas but never actually went through with any of them. Anyone with a tat, tell me how you got that "Eureka!" moment that made you decide to get it? And also tell me what tattoos you got!

Most Helpful Girl

• When I was 13 I fell in love with hibiscus flowers and right then and there I decided I wanted to get a tattoo of one. Over the next 3 years I came up with a design in my head and when I turned 16 my dad took me to an artist who drew the design I had visioned.

My second tattoo was a memorial one for my dad. At his funeral the song free bird by lynard skynard was played and I used that song as my inspiration, I ended up googling bird tattoos and bird drawings and I found this drawing someone had done and I ended up just printing that out and taking it to my tattoo artist and adding some lyrics and different colors.

A tattoo should have a deep meaning to you, for me my first one didn't actually have a deep meaning when I got it. I don't resent it at all I put things I loved into it and it was a gift from my dad and it will always be a special bond to me. Sorry for rambling on what I'm trying to say is look for inspiration in the things you love and you will start to see the design you want. Tattoo artists are amazing and will draw and re-draw any design you can imagine until it is exactly what you see in your mind.

What Girls Said 6

• I have lots, nearly finished my sleeve :D I used to be a tattooist and I'm studying to be an art teacher. I draw all my own designs and I have never picked one off the wall. I always feel funny discussing my tattoos on here for some reason, they're so personal. I guess if I draw something I like I put it away and if I still want it on me in a few months I get it. Lately I've been getting work done every week because I've finally found a tattooist I just click with completely.

• Wicked, from the little I know of you you seem pretty awesome, you worked in a zoo, worked as a tattooist, and now your studying to be an art teacher!? Pretty original I must say ;)

• I've got a tattoo of pisces, my zodiac. Its the symbol in the middle with a whirlpool of water around it. It took me about 6 months to decide on this one. I had loads of ideas like celtic knots or a dragon, etc. But then I thought to myself "what is something that is a big part of me and won't ever change?" That's when I had my eureka moment because I read my horoscope everyday without fail and believe myself to be a true pisces. I sketched up a rough idea and knew I wanted it. Even so I left it about a month and let it mull over in my mind. I knew it really was the one I wanted because as each day passed, I wanted it more and more!

Its great to hear your not rushing into any because a lot of people do that and regret their first tattoo. My boyfriend is also in a similar position to you. He wants a tattoo but no design or idea has "clicked" yet. Just think about who you are and something about you that won't change so you'll love your tattoo forever!

Hope that helps! :)

• mine were all pretty spur of the moment lol

• i don't have any tattoos,but I'd like to get a tattoo once I'm older,i'd like a mixture of link link I'd like the girl with chains,but with the style of the led zeppelin cover

• I only have one tattoo, I'm 23 and I just got it about 2 months ago. Its fish gills behind my left ear. I'm a huge water bug always have been and I'm aquariaus so I've always kinda thought it would be nice to get. The eureka moment... My dad actually wanted to get a tattoo and I was pressuring him to go and get it so we went, and I was jokingly saying hey since we're here I might as well get the one I've been thinking about, and my dad offered to pay for it so I did. I figured what better story than to say my dad and I got our first tattoos together.

• I don't have a tattoo, but I'm dying to get this : link

• LOL that tattoo is a little creepy when you first see it... why exactly? What does the keyhole symbolize?

• I'll unlock you later ;-D

What Guys Said 6

• I dunno. To me, calling a tat "body art" is like calling a fart a symphony. Maybe I'm too old. ; - )

• I have a dragon on my chest which goes around to my back. I also have many symbols on my body.

The dragon has to do with my Chinese background. Before coming to the states I lived a pretty aristocratic life. My dad was very rich, I had maids cleaning my bed, a spoiled brat in other words. I felt noble in a sense. The Dragon represents nobility, and power. However, in the western world the dragon is an evil creature. Scorned and feared. Ever since I came to the states I haven't had luck making friends or relationships, and yes, I'm generally feared and resented. Also since I live on my own now I obviously don't have the luxuries my dad supplied with me when I was young, so I live a much more humble and isolated life. The dragon fit perfectly.

I have a symbol on my stomach of a character from a novel who goes back in time to save himself. His previous self is super idealistic, super selfless, his future self is super bitter and cynical because of f***ed up stuff he's been through. The older self originally goes back in time to kill his younger self, so he doesn't have to suffer at all, but instead he starts believing in his younger self again and lets him travel down that path anyway, knowing it will lead to pain.

Another symbol I have is from a character who is a modernized representative of Medusa, the snake-headed woman. I've always felt sorry for her as she led a terrible life and only became evil because of revenge.

On either of my arms I have two symbols from two characters in a manga/anime series called Claymore. Claymores are these specialized killing machines who are females. They kill these werewolf-like creatures, but the reason why they can kill is because they have some of the werewolf flesh imparted into them, so they draw upon unnatural powers to sustain themselves. As a result of this, these warriors are shunned and feared by the people they protect. Thus, they become very bitter and cynical, barely clinging onto humanity while struggling for survival.

In this manga/anime are two characters called Clare and Teresa. Teresa rescued Clare as a child from being a slave to these werewolves, but because of the Claymore's inherent bitterness, refused to bond closer to Clare. However, Clare stubbornly followed Teresa around, even despite Teresa's attempts to evade/harass her until she was left alone. Eventually Teresa surrendered, taking in Clare as her charge, and they became super close. Eventually Teresa told her that it was funny her name was Clare, as Clare and Teresa happened to be the twin sister goddesses of love, in the universe of that anime. Unfortunately Teresa was killed after being tricked by a werewolf, and Clare in despair swore to become a claymore to avenge the death of the only person to ever love her.

• The two symbols on my arms are the warrior symbols of Clare and Teresa

• From the playboy bunny air freshener in my car. My girlfriend like the playboy bunny, and I wanted a tattoo, so I just yanked the air freshener off and brought it into the tattoo parlor. It felt weird having a bunny only on one side, so to balance it out I tattooed a similar but different color bunny on my other arm. It's crazy how a spur-of-the moment decision can affect your life. So the bunnies are OK, but I sometimes think about either removing them, but too expensive, so I may get a coverup someday.

• I looked back on life, found something that represented what I wanted, letting go of the past and what I want out of the future...

To live forever, to forgive myself and to have hope.

• I'm about to get one, is from country of origin (Chile)... Since I have most of my family there, I've decided to go with that since I'm very certain that I will never be ashamed or change my mind about my heritage, I'd try to avoid tattoos that have no meaning and just look "cool" to you, meaning is more important IMO. Hope I helped.

• I just saw it in their booklet at the tattoo parlor and thought it looked cool.

It's a cross with a rose over the center of it.