Why do looks matter so much to guys? why are guys so visual?

most guys will not give the girl a chance if she is not decently attractive physically, so why are looks so important to guys? more important to them than for most girls?

Because what I'm saying is that when a guy see's a hot, cute, pretty, physically attractive girl he literally, instantly falls for her, gets attracted to her fast, right away, but not so much the other way around, a lot of times you see an average guy, or ugly guy with a hot, physically attractive girl, and once again, not so much the other way around.
i'm not saying that guys are all about looks, well okay a lot of them are, but as much as personality is important to many guys, a lot of guys won't accept a girl who they consider ugly or unattractive, despite the fact she has a great, fun, nice, personality

Most Helpful Guy

• probably because subconsciously, we want women that will give us healthy children

What Guys Said 16

• It has to do with mating and nature. It's the same vice versa. Although, you see ugly, fat guys with girls sometimes, lucky bastards. Besides, there's a whole range to what makes a girl physically attractive. Being guy is worse in that department; no six pack= not hot.

• Relationships are found on attraction and chemistry, no person wants to date someone who has the personality of an angel but the looks of a dinosaur OR a person who is gorgeous as a model but their personality is similar to a load of crap.

Looks matter to everyone, I won't settle for less, either, doesn't mean I'm snobby or picky. If I find you beautiful and attractive then ill want to talk to you and learn about your personality from there. Women are like that too, they don't want to date a guy who isn't that attractive to them, say they are like a 5 out of 10, they don't find that as good as a 7 out of 10.

Just how the world is sometimes.

• but why does it matter to guys more?

• so you mostly see hot, attractive girls dating only hot, attractive guys themselves?

• not necessarily true , anyone can date anyone they choose, but they needs to be some form of attraction in order to get each others attention from the start. They don't have to be very attractive, but some form of attraction is required. I'm not saying that people who are considered "hot" can't date someone who is considered "average" , its possible, but it depends on the individual.

• I suppose at the most basic level men don't need physical protection or money (these are things we supply for ourselves) so the only need we must cater for is a mate to carry on our bloodline. And the kind of mate to produce the healthiest children with is one with an ample bosom, child-bearing hips, full red lips, symmetrical face, etc, the classic signs of female beauty.

• Well you have to realize that physical attraction is also important to girls. Some people are like this, nothing wrong with their decisions on what they like. It's not good to generalize though. Some guys look deeper than that.

• Almost ever girl that I have ever met who takes care of herself, has a healthy lifestyle, has a sense of style and who is self confident is physically attractive.

Physical appearance is a good indication of how a person lives their life: do they make impulsive decisions or are they disciplined? I really do believe that everyone is beautiful and that most unattractive qualities are the result of unhealthy lifestyle or lack of self awareness.

I do not think of myself as shallow in the least, but I do not find myself attracted to a girl that does not take care of herself. I'm always very disappointed when I feel an emotional connection to someone that I'm not physically attracted to, but I just can't feel that spark if I'm not attracted to them.

• probably for evolutionary reasons I'm guessing

• I saw such a hot girl with a fat dude the other day... broke my heart </3

• guys generally are visual creatures. Maybe it has something to do with biology or anthropology. The same characteristics that are attractive to guys are related to fertility and youth. We are driven to breed(sex). beyond that, yes, intelligence, sense of humor, common interest, all matter but initially, it is pure animal instinct.

• Because we react to the world through our senses just like everything else on this planet. And the visual aspect of these senses is pretty much the strongest. Had we say been made in a way that smell was the dominant sense I would bet that how girls smelled would hold a more important position than it does now.

• That doesn't mean that personality is less important. Although for me personally I can't say that personality is more important than looks. Because for a few years ago I met someone that I really really liked but didn't find her very physically attractive but I tried to not think about it that much and we started a relationship. One that I really wasn't happy about and it didn't last for long. So lesson learned. So now I keep to girls who have a great personality AND good looks.

• If I'm attracted to a girl's personality, and we connect well both emotionally and intellectually, then it's possible that she might become a close friend of mine - but that puts her into the running for a potential relationship. If I have romantic, sexual attraction towards her, on top of the foundational intellectual connection, then I'll pursue a relationship with her. But why on earth would I want to have a sexual relationship with someone I'm not attracted to? The same applies to women - they wouldn't have sex with someone who just doesn't pique their interests, physically. Only masochists would.

• Think of it like this. (For me anyways)

It's a system based off of 1's and 0's

If she has a nice personality. She gets a 1. Then if she nice looks she gets a 0 (to look like 10). Then if she's smart another 0 (to look like 100). Then if she's sweet another 0. (to look like 1000), or if she has a nice but (lol) another 0 (to look like 10000).

But if you take the nice personality away, you have all zeros!

Everything else means nothing!

Hope you understood the system!

For me, I find most girls pretty so I don't really fall for a girl that easily.

• I really don't know to be honest, all I know is that I want to be with girls who I find attractive. And I agree I'm not the best looking guy in the world and I have been with very attractive women I guess women are just more open. However to defend myself I would not stay in a relationship with a girl just because she is hot, I do need a good personality.

• The same reason that girls prefer men with six packs and fat wallets.

• do you want the absolute honest answer, here it goes, suresex is funner with a hot girl and you can show her off and everything but in complete honesty at least for me personally is, well... I don't want ugly kids

• not all guys think this way, but a lot do. for me its about personality becuase looks only go so far. why do they think looks are so important? with my friends isbecuase we want to impress them and recieve more dominance.

• Its just the way it is, I'm a victim of it :c

What Girls Said 2

• Because men are visual. I can't fault them for that because how many people really want a partner they don't find attractive? if your personality is so great then all you gotta do is work on your looks. most guys don't even expect perfection, just be in decent shape (they like different body types), have decent hair, OK face (if your face ain't cute makeup is a must) and then that's it. its just basic taking care of yourself and being girly. don't cry about it, just stop being ugly

• but many times you see an average or ugly looking guy with a hot, attractive girl, but almost never the other way around

• an example is online dating, a guy's profile description, written description, the way he writes his message, matters a whole lot more than the girl

• really? you only see hot attractive girls dating hot guys?

• Uhmm. I think most people are like tht. if a hawt guy hits on you you will probably give him more of a chance than a guy you think is ugly. lol