What is the appropriate attire for a museum gala?

In three weeks my boyfriend's company is hosting a gala evening at a local art museum (a very well known art museum with many important exhibits). The entire museum will be closed to the public specifically for this event. There will be a live band (so dancing?), a very expensive catered dinner, and a tour of the newest wing which does not open to the public until late spring.

I understand the attire will be formal, but how formal? Do you think cocktail dresses will be enough, or should I invest in a gown?

Most Helpful Girl

• link Probably a longer cocktail dress like that. It makes it a bit more formal and less cutesy, but it's casual and light enough to blend in with everyone else and dance in. (unless you want to make a Cinderella entrance... lol)

What Guys Said 1

• Cocktail dresses would be fine for a museum event. Plus, hard to dance in a gown sometimes. And its a company event, you don't want to overdo it in a business setting.

• Plus, you have to make sure you're not dressed better than the higher management's wives, or any higher management women!

• That's the most important consideration in such a situation.

What Girls Said 4

• They didn't say anything on the invitation? Usually they will specify. I'd say you're probably better off with a nice, conservative cocktail dress. Nothing too revealing or tight, but still fashionable and nice. The live band gives me the impression that its a little more casual than a black tie and gown type of affair.

• I figured the invitation would say, but it didn't. This is my boyfriend's first year at the company, so we've never been to one. I'll probably have him ask someone else who has worked there long enough.

• A nice black cocktail dress is suitable and safe

• I think a cocktail dress is perfect.

• I think a cocktail dress will be fine.