Do you use cold or hot water to remove stains on your clothes?

My mom has always told me to use cold water to get rid of blood/juice/etc. stains, but I have always found that hot water works better. What do you do?

Most Helpful Girl

• I always use cold - for most things anyway; things like blood or grass or juice ... whatever. Hot water sets stains like that and makes them harder to come out.

The only thing I use hot water for is lipstick - Vaseline and hot soapy water to get that out.

What Guys Said 3

• Blood and other bodily fluids (hint : sperm) definitely wash out better with cold water. There are often proteins in it, warm water will cook them, making it easier to clean off.

• Read the tag. Washing instructions help.

I do start with a cold soak, but when hot water is permissible I use that in the wash along with a stain remover - our product of choice is Shout but there are others available.

• Use cold water 1st because hot water sets the stain especially blood or grapes & stuff like that. Then use hot. Here's a little trick, for tough stains dissolve an aspirin in some cold water, it's suppose to really break up tough stains.

What Girls Said 2

• hot

• If it's blood I find that using cold water and hydrogen peroxide works well. Let the item soak in diluted hydrogen peroxide for a short while after you've lightly scrubbed it a tad. This may not work so well if used on older stains.