Whose opinion counts to you as far as how you dress?

Do you just follow fashion, or listen only to your family or close friends, or?

• I dress only to follow current fashion
  • I listen only to close friends' advice on clothes
  • I take recommendations from the people who work in clothing shops
  • Mostly I listen to my significant other on my clothing
  • I only wear what pleases me and ignore fashion or friends' advice
Now look, we know the vast majority of people, especially females, dress according to the prevailing fashion trends. We all KNOW THAT!

But people want to deny that and claim they only dress to please themselves, etc. It's like when they talk about doing their own thing when theyre stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, all heading the same place at the same time!
NOt ONE person admits to taking advice from the people seliing the clothes, often well informed on fashion and generally have good taste?
If anyone doesn't think girls in the US are often in a permanent state of denial, just look at the answers to this question!

Most Helpful Guy

• I really think most people that voted E only really have the illusion of choice. If this were 10 years ago, they'd be wearing things from that age while still thinking they were making those decisions themselves. Media decides what's in or not, and most people abide by those rules.

• Yes, it's fascinating how much denial is going on in these answers, especially from the females.

What Girls Said 18

• Pretty much just my own. I like what I like and I'm a 'take it or leave it' kind of girl. I don't totally discount trends in fashion, but I certainly don't follow them. If I don't like something, I won't buy or wear it regardless of how many other people think it's the coolest thing. Likewise, if I do like something, I don't let it being 'trendy' deter me from wearing it and dressing how I please. I do value my boyfriend's opinion on how I look, but he doesn't really change my mind about how I dress either. He likes most of the things I wear, and probably wouldn't have been as initially attracted to me if he didn't like how I choose to look. I also wouldn't be with him if he was the kind of person who would try to change me once he'd 'got me'. Like I said, take it or leave it, lol.

• My own opinion on the clothes counts the most for me. I'm wearing the clothes because *I* think they look good, *I* love them, and I enjoy the feeling that *I* get when I wear them. I need no other reason than that.

Honestly, I think people should just forget focusing so much on the media and latest fashion trends, forget worrying about what other people think looks best, and just wear whatever the heck they want and rock the sh*t out of it. Confidence is hotter than any external opinion out there.

• I wear whatever I want, but if my boyfriend says he absolutely loaths a certain shirt or outfit I won't wear it around him lol.

• if it looks good on me, its in fashion in my opinion. I wear clothes for me, things I'm comfortable in and think looks good on me. I listen to my significant others opinion though he never really disliked anything from my wardrobe.

• E. I don't care what is "in fashion" if I like something I like it. I haven't needed nor listened to someone telling me what to wear since I was 5. I find a lot of what is in fashion to be horrendous and there is no way I would wear it. Some people are slaves to fashion and have to wear the "it" thing. Look at Kate Midleton she wears something and people are told "oh this is the item to be seen it". For f***s sake people have a mind of your own, if you look scandalous in it, its not.

• We are all influenced either directly or indirectly by designers, the media etc because you can only wear what is available to buy. But do I ask peoples opinions on what I should wear or read magazines?No. You asked who's opinion counts not who influences fashion. And I don't ask the people working in the stores because I find most of the people who work in said stores conceited and condescending. Plus they have a tendency to wear what's in fashion disregarding how it actually looks on them

• I listen to what I want to express to the world with my dressing that day.And unspoken hints from people I come around-how they react to me when I dress a certain way.

• A lot of people follow fashion but don't know it, or wouldn't admit it...those unspoken hints, for example, are mostly people telling you to follow fasion.

• Smart point.

• as far as fashion choices go I wear what like, but when it comes to whether or not a fashion choice of mine looks good on me then I ask my family and closest friends

• Well, Marty, when I was younger I "might" have voted A with a little B & C thrown in for good measure. But now that I am older, I ONLY dress for what pleases me. I know my own style by now & I do not need to follow what some 18 y.o. wears on a fashion runway that is here today & gone tomorrow.

I have never, ever taken advice from any minimum wage sales person who just wants to pawn off what they have on their racks so they can make a commission off of me by telling me I look fabulous in their current frocks. Men may fall for that one, most women will not. It is foolish to do so.

So, once again, when you say you know the female mind better than we know it ourselves, I have to say that you don't have a clue. Just because you want it to be so, does not make it "so."

• I know the vast majority just follow fashion, as you say you did, and they're just in denail wth all this 'I onlydress to please myself; stuff. That doesn't take an expert in the female mind, we ALL know that's how it is. I wouldn't be so down on sales people, a lot of them actually know something and can give you good advice.

• They are like used car salesmen...tell you anything to get that sale! "No, your butt doesn't look big." "Yes, that's your color." "It takes 10 #s off you, amazing!"

• Many of them actually know about what looks good. Sure they are going to try to sell what they have, so don't go to places where you don't think the clothes are attractive to begin with!

• @update: I don't live in the US, but really mean what I said in my answer. I wear whatever I want, and where I live/shop the sellers don't give advice. I wear what I think looks good on me. I like just wearing jeans and a top most of the times. I like pulling off simple things.

• What about the brand of jeans? How do you decide?

• Most people pay a lot of attention to brands..

• Well at least you've now found a person that doesn't. :)

• I always wear what I like. Fashion 'trends' never affect my choices in clothing. Neither does anyone else other than myself on the face of the planet Earth.

I like wearing something simple and knowing I can pull it off. I wear colors/clothes that I think look good on me and hints my personality as well. If there was a particular trend everyone was following, I'd most likely go with something completely different. I like being unique. :)

• only my opinion counts in most situations, otherwise if I'm not sure and must seek advice for it then it's clearly not the outift for me. I think both of us remember the fashion mistakes of the 70's & 80's - it's never a good idea to be TOO fashionable is it?! Lol ;O)

• What mistakes do you mean?

• Mistakes = being TOO fashionable at the time. Dig out old pix of you in hooooj lapels/flares (c. Starsky & Hutch), ridiculous shoulder pads & shiny two-tone power-suits (Dynasty, Dallas) or the ones of you with rolled up sleeves of a white blazer, chino's and espadrilles (Miami Vice - the original!). LOL anyone over 30 knows exactly what I mean! xx

• Honestly I follow what looks good on me, I have a mad men style body so the flowy clothes that are in fashion now simply don't suit me like it suits my friends. If I look in he mirror and like the way I look then I am happy. I also by pieces that generally always look good and don't follow a particular trend.

• Despite the many questions on fashion here,or the answers I've given...i wear only what I want.I don't see any other way to do it.

• Good Answer! I hate it when females on here say they wouldn't pay any attention to what their SO says or thinks but would listen to all their friends...doesn't go over well with me...):

• ok that does it..time to friend u...O:O

• Yes!Lets be friends! :)

• Myself, my SO and my girlfriends (only insofar as if they tell me something looks really terrible and I see the light). Generally I'll wear what I want, but I can be influenced by other people, too.

I really like fashion and the like, so I generally know what the trends are. But I'll only "follow" them if I like it. If I really like something and it's not current, or my friends hate it, I'd still wear it :D

• OH..so you WOULD listen to your SO? But maybe not with the same credence that you would give your female friends? ...(:

• yes..I believe you...that is more in line with your character than the response you gave me a few months ago when you said you would listen to your female friends before you would listen to your SO...<3<3<3=D

• It's just more that my female friends know my style more, and know more about fashion and whatnot in general (or so I would assume)

• E. I wear what I want. Plus I'm not a youngin anymore so I don't pay attention to that sorta thing anymore.

• E, I dress in whatever I like and I think is nice :)

• I wear whatever I want, I don't keep up to date with the current fashion trends.

• I look in the mirror and if I think "DAMN I'm sexy then I know it's a goer =P

What Guys Said 8

• I listen to my female friends, people working in the clothes store (more female than male), my brother, and one or two of my CLOSE guy friends. Generally the recommendations from these folks is what I like to wear so it works out.

• Mine and mine alone. Not friends, not family, not girls, not fashion, not coworkers. Just mine.

• I dress for function, not style. Couldn't care less how I look long as I'm comfortable,.my sensory needs are met, I have ample protection, and storage space.

• ...Yup, I can honestly say that. After all, this is a guy here who wears knee/shin guards under his jeans.

• What ever I feel is comfortable and interesting to me is what I wear. I'll take formality into consideration when necessary (i.e. business and events)

• Why did this dude leave..didn't know him..but he definitely didn't seem as psycho as some on here../:

• I wear what I want. Trends are for douchers.

• I listen to my SO and nobody else...(:

• Really? you do listen to what she says about your clothes? Good for you!

• My lady interest and myself are the only two I can think of.

• Why are you so cynical and don't believe anyone on this topic? lol

• I wear what's comfortable to me. It's often just plain in style, but I don't care.

• i usually wear what fits me ...plain tees with denim blue or black jeans...