How long should I keep bleach in my hair?

I have very dark brown/off black hair but I want a chestnut brown color. How long should I keep bleach in my hair in order to get that color? I REALLY don't want a full head of blond hair.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not an expert on coloring hair, but I would say that in your situation, it would be best to go to a professional. Since you're starting out with very dark hair, the effects of bleach will be quite pronounced, and any mishap will likely be more noticeable than it would be if you were starting with a lighter hair color. If you're determined to do it yourself, I would suggest leaving it on for a VERY short amount of time (look at the instructions on the package and go from there) and then bleaching again if the results aren't light enough. Also, I believe the color you end up with might be affected by the tones that are already present in your hair.

What Guys Said 2

• get it done professionally. Then if they **** up, sue them.

Simples.

• lol...do not try this at home...(:

What Girls Said 2

• get it done professionally. don't mess with bleach. you could end up with bright orange hair if you don't know what you're doing. but you should just be able to get a box of chestnut brown color. they make dyes for people with dark hair now.

• I was thinking of getting a box color for chestnut brown hair. But will that even change my hair color considering my starting color is so dark?

• Look at the box and see if they show different outcomes for different starting hair colors. If they don't show results for use on dark hair or state that the dye will lighten darker hair, it probably isn't a dye that will show up on your hair. The box should tell you if it's a light dye that works on dark hair or not.

• Go to a professional! Seriously. Its bleach! Unless you know 100% what you're doing (and since you asked this question I'm assuming you don't) then you need to leave it up to someone who does. Otherwise your hair will be fried and messed up.