How often do you wash your hair?

Got into a discussion today about how often hair should be washed...

Was curious what a broader cross-section would say...

• Everyday
  • Every other day
  • Whenever it feels dirty
  • Once a week
  • I'm bald, why ask such a mean Question!!

Most Helpful Girl

• i have curly hair, so I wash it at most every other day but ideally I should be washing it every 3-4 days. If I'm wearing my hair curly, I'll skip using shampoo because my hair is so fine that oil rolls right off with water and shampoo strips even necessary oils right off. if I can afford it, I buy cleansing conditioners.

how often and how you wash your hair depends on your hair type.

"ethnic" hair types like mine require minimal washing, mostly thanks to evolutionary developments in hair through genetics. curly hair doesn't retain heat from the sun (which is why its native to more common in desert/tropical climates), so my hair is less likely to get oily than my straight haired counter part because it doesn't allow for the same production of sweat. thick curly hair often doesn't create much oil and both curly and thick hair don't often create enough oils to saturate from scalp to end, which is also why they don't need to be washed often. since I have fine curly hair, it does allow for more sweat to build, but the molecular structure of curls doesn't allow it to travel far (so it all stays at the roots lol) and so I don't need much of a wash.

straight hair locks in heat (which is why its more common in colder and more temperate climates) so when in warmer areas, it allows for sweat to build and because its straight it tends to travel faster down the strand along with essential oils. so people with straight or wavy hair often need to wash their hair more often-- but then thicker straight hair tends to keep build up at the root and doesn't need to be washed too often.

What Guys Said 8

• According to everything I've read you should only use cleansing products in your hair every other day unless you have unusually oily hair. Using it more than every other day can wash away the natural oils that help preserve it.

• Every day. Of course, it's less than an inch long at most, and most of it is much shorter than that. A bottle of shampoo lasts me a LONG time.

• I wash my hair every day to every other day, but I spike it with gunk that I don't want to go to bed with. My girlfriend washes hers every 2-3 days, depending.

• Everyday... I have sensitive skin and if I don't wash up well and moisturize everyday it gets REALLY dry and/or irritated.

• Every 2-3 days seems like the best option in my opinion..

• Every other day at most. Usually not even that often.

• A.

• Defintely B

What Girls Said 23

• every 2-5 days because shampoo strips your hair of its natural oils and it makes your sebaceous glands overproduce oil to make up for the lack of it, making it oilier the more often you wash it. not only that but shampoo has silicone's and sulphates which are very drying to the hair. I do however condition my hair daily and it never looks greasy.

• Everyday then deep condition about once a week. It depends on your hair type though. Greasier hair should be washed more. Dry hair needs different attention.

• Usually everyday because I have long hair and it seems to need washing everyday, I've heard that isn't good for your hair though :/

• Everyday. My hair can last a day and a half before getting greasy but since the half usually happens in the middle of the day at work or school, I clean it everyday. I know it's not supposed to be the best for it, but I use different shampoos so my hair doesn't get too worn out.

• While I step into the shower every day, I shampoo my hair only 2 or 3 times a week. Every other day, I put conditioner in it (or sometimes more often, it depends) ^_^

• I wash my hair every other day. It's usually a little limp on the in between day, unfortunately, depending on how late in the day I washed it the day before. But when I wash it every day, it simply gets oily even faster, plus it's not supposed to be good for it. So I just put up with it.

• I have curly hair so every week. Oddly enough I've never had hair stench in my life. What does that even smell like?

• probably once every 67 days

• I have really thick hair, and it doesn't get dirty all that quickly so I wash it two or three times a week. Washing it everyday or even every other day is bad for your hair anyway, and the more you wash it your hair gets oily even quicker, and it also dries your hair out too.

• My type of hair doesn't require getting washed very often because It gets dry, so I would say once a week.

• Once a week... at most once every two weeks, but it is best not to go that long for my type of hair... It is really dry :P

• Twice a week.

• Once every two weeks. The process I have to go through is too much for me to handle once a week.

• Every other day :)

• Every other day and whenever it feels dirty. My hair get dirty every second day, that's why both of B and C are right for me.

• everyday, I shower everyday so I figure why not wash my hair while I'm in there.

I've heard people say it's not good to wash your hair everyday though

• Every single day. I have the type of hair that gets so oily that you need two showers a day.

• Its likely that the reason your hair is so oily is because you wash it so much. Your body is desperately trying to counteract all the oil-stripping you're doing.

• I have to wash mine at least every other day or it gets oily and smelly

• Once a week

• im black and I have very kinky/curly, dry, afro hair and I definitely can't shampoo my hair daily or even every other day. I use an actual shampoo like one a week or once every two weeks. it depends on what my hair is telling me and how lazy I'm being. however, I cowash my hair more frequently than that, which is basically just using a conditioner to "wash" your hair, ideally a clearifying conditioner or cleansing cream of some sort. (yes, they make these things, often times specifically for curly/kinky hair types lol) any conditioner works though. I sometimes use apple cider vinegar for extra cleansing boost when I do shampoo my hair. I get into these all natural kicks lol and no it doesn't make my hair smell bad. I told my mom I put vinegar in my hair and she was like "you did what?" hehe

but yeah I can't shampoo my hair that often, personally. my hair is too dry.

• I was in the hair industry for more than 10 yrs. Hair isn't ever supposed to be washed everyday because it'll dry out the ends and create an oily scalp condition from over stimulation of the oil glands in the skin. Every other day or every 2 days is ideal. Any longer than that and the scalp collects too much dirt/oil and starts to stink.

• @ so-innocent Hair stench on anyone is super funky. It's far worse than wet dog smell.

FYI, my comment was intended for people with European texture, not those of Afro-Carribean descent due to the texture of the hair. It tends to be much drier than European hair.

• i wash it about 3 times a week. when it feels a little oily.

• I voted C, whenever it feels dirty. This is basically every single day except sometimes I don't wash it and use dry shampoo between Saturday and Sunday. I shower every day though, and my hair usually needs to be washed daily (I can strech it with dry shampoo if I'm not going anywhere) because I have oily hair.