The current trend for minimalist athletic footwear - legitimate or BS? What training shoes do you use?

Right now there's a big debate going in in the athletic footwear industry regarding what considers proper suitable training shoes. Traditionally, athletic footwear, such as cross trainers, has always had a lot of cushioning, a lot of arch support, and an emphasis on shock absorption. However, the current "trend" (see Reebok's and Nike's current lineup for examples of this) leans more toward training/running shoes with minimalist soles that offer next to nothing in the way of support or cushioning/shock absorption. They claim that current scientific research states that emulating the way you run and move while your feet are bare is better.

So, which do you prefer? Which do you think makes more sense? Personally I lean more toward the traditional route.

Most Helpful Girl

• i enjoy l/d running myself and footwear is extremely important. I think the type of footwear comes down to the type of workout one prefers. plus there are different shoes for different feet too. I love my asics and they're more the traditional type. they might be a bit pricey but well worth it in the end. I'm also skeptical about the marketing strategies used in getting people to purchase footwear. I don't believe in all the "new and improved" footwear that will guarantee faster and better results. it really just comes down to doing your workout.

• ASICs are the textbook definition of the traditional type that's all about cushion/support/shock absorbtion. I like them.

• well that's good to know :o)

What Girls Said 2

• I would rather go the traditional route, the only time I like the minimalist soles, is for track and field.

ps I really like Nike's "Big butts" add...(not)

• I prefer the traditional footwear better because I think it makes sense that there should be some cushioning. Plus some of those new shoes look horrible, especially the BareFoot brand, reminds me of some kind of frog loping towards me.

What Guys Said 1

• I'll go with traditional. They are always looking for groundbreaking ways to get you to buy a new line of footwear.