Do you think there is too much pressure in the media for women to look good?

Whether it's on the internet, television, or movies, women are sexualized and have to "look good" in order to be whoever she wants to be. Do you think there is too much emphasis on looks and not enough on working on your souls?

My answer: For every one commercial with a male model, I see about five with a female flipping her hair around and being cute and sexual. Women seem to have to deal with all this pressure at the same time not expressing any negative feelings towards it at all.

Guys: Do you feel any pressure from the media? And if so, about what?

Most Helpful Guy

• Media is there to apply pressure on you.

You are supposed to be brainwashed into believing that your body ISN'T GOOD, and that you need all kinds of cosmetics to make it look "acceptable", and that you will never be perfect, but WILL get closer and closer to perfect if you buy so and so products.

That is how many businesses make money.

And they SUCCEED, for humanity's sake!

You can not believe the questions I see here daily...

"Is having a few pimples really a huge turn off?"

"What if I have stretch marks? Is that a deal-breaker?"

"How can I accept that I have a small penis and live my life?"

"My breasts aren't big, but I still have a nice ass. Do I at least have a chance?"

"Even though I try VERY hard, I am not completely smooth 'down there'. Is that a turnoff?"

I feel very depressed, just reading these questions and seeing that people don't realize that they are far more beautiful than they think. They just focus on one specific aspect of their entire body, and think that, since it is not perfect, they are ugly and they must be hated.

It is just depressing. I am not even exaggerating. These questions are REAL.

So, yeah, there's your answer.

What Guys Said 10

• Yea, its sad...i also think its sad that yes...there are male models and stuff..but girls don't seem to picky when it comes to guys...theyll date a guy that isn't all buff or have perfect abs etc...but it seems like (and I don't know if this is just the media or guys or if girls are just more senstiie with wantig to please people) but girls seem to be way more concerned. judged. And I can only speak for myself...but I find id say about 90% of the female population attractive...as in id date just about any girl if we persoanlly hit it off and I liked her...my phsyical desire for her would just take care of itself...there are a small number of girls that I wouldn't find physically appeali (I hate to admit that..but I just can't help it) but its very few...and theyre not really girls Id say are ugly or won't get a man ever..its just that I personally don't find them attractive but like I said...I find 9 out of 10 girls to be attractive. too bad I'm so shy, awkward...am basically starting college at 21...and kidn of a loser...lol...id take just about any girl I can't get.

• Goodness yes. The media practically hates you ladies (or makes you hate yourself).

Guys don't feel too much pressure from the media. There still is a subtle influence to look good, dress nice, and all that. But the media for us merely replicates what guys do anyway: compete, have nice cars, make a lot of money, chase pretty women, have lots of sex, etc.

• I don't feel any pressure from media but yes, I think there is too much pressure on females and another bad thing is that females feel pressured in ways that most guys don't care or even don't like...just because media portrays something as the norm doesn't not mean that it is and definitely won't match what individual guys think..):

• I personally am not concerned with any of that. The only reason those TV stars look so damn good is because they're being paid millions to twirl in front of a camera and tell you they're product is the best. Most of the time, all I think a girl needs is eyeliner. Then again, I'm a sucker for big pretty eyes.

• There's too much pressure in the media for both women and men. If you listen to their crap, you'll live a miserable life.

• Yep I agree. Media has f***ed up a lot of things in our society.

• No.

If there wouldn't be such pressure, too many women would "let themselves down" and look like sh*t. With the rise of feminism, this is more than sure.

Do I feel to be pressured by the media? No. I'm a man. I'm not supposed to be "pretty"

Also.. I have to mention that I strictly believe in traditional gender roles.

• That's part of the reason why I quit watching TV a long time ago. All this advertising, coupled with meaningless talk shows or other stupid broadcast are conditioning minds on the long run.

TV is all about superficiality or false problems.

• yes indeed

• Not really, no. Honestly, given that over half of adults in this country are obese, I'd say if anything there isn't ENOUGH pressure for men or women to look good.

• what's funny is all the stats on America's obesity is greatly skewed by the south and how many people are unhealthy there.

• That's likely true, but I think obesity is still a problem almost everywhere else. The more incentives people have to look physically and sexually attractive, the better off we all are.

What Girls Said 2

• Yes indeed, women should perceive the media in a different way rather that taking it personally. The competition is fairly high among us nowadays, especially in the younger ages. My 10 year old sister's friends all look like Hanna Montana.. Media is overrated, and parents shouldn't allow their kids to watch so much television and spend so much time at the mall.

Concerning the adults, Facebook is the main cause for this issue.. A girl would pose in really provocative ways and post pictures of herself in really vulgar ( have no other word for it) ways.. Media and even parents should encourage people to put a higher price on themselves.. and not sell oneself so cheaply..

I keep talking abstractly here, because this is a huge issue and needs hours of discussion and I am afraid I ll never finish if I start.. this indeed needs to raise awareness to the higher officials and start do something about it , although I have a Facebook page , I would really love it if they closed it down and all dating sites altogether.. Or remove the photo part, and we should all have Facebook without posting pictures.. photosharing should be eliminated for it has more disadvantages than advantages.. but who would care ? this is business.. no one will ever care :)

• Yes it is. Women and men were convinced by the media to have these assets to been seen as ideal and beautiful :

1.Skinny with big boobs/ass

3.Light or at least tan skin

4.Light eyes

5.hairless except on the head

6.Flawless skin without any freckles and acne

7.Thin nose