Would a pair of nice jeans and a nice top be suitable for a business casual dress code?

My office is business casual. Most days I wear a pair of slacks or pencil skirt, a casual shirt (not a t-shirt, but just a cute jersey or knit top), a cardigan or blazer, and cute flats.

I was wondering if wearing a nice pair of jeans (more towards the designer end) and a more formal top would be appropriate for my workplace. I've seen three girls and one guy who wear jeans to the office regularly, all of them higher ranking in the company than I am, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me or not. I asked my boss and she didn't really give me a straight answer.

Most Helpful Guy

• Definitely not business casual. Jeans are fully casual. If you're new at your job, you should avoid that. Keep it professional. Wait till you get your first promotion before you start bending rules.

Now having said all of that, what kind of job is it? Congrats, btw!

What Guys Said 7

• Jeans are not "business casual," they are "casual." If your office requires business casual, and you wear jeans, you probably won't hear any complaints, but it *will* likely be noticed, and *could*, depending on how your office works, be remembered at raise/promotion time, though you'll probably never hear a word about it.

Again, some offices are much more loose about these rules, and lots of people wear jeans, so look around and see what other folks are doing, and use that as your guide.

• Jeans, whether designer or not, do not qualify as business casual. Of course just because something is a rule does not mean its enforced.

• Jeans might be for "casual Fridays" or something like that, but its certainly not what most businesses define as business casual.

• I've worn jeans with a shirt and blazer. Its the bottom end of what I'd wear, more often on a Friday.

'Designer' doesn't help, plain indigo does.

• Jeans are not business casual. That should be known. Your boss probably didn't come straight out and say it, because you really should know this sort of thing without having to ask someone.

• I guess I don't know that. But my previous job was at a theatre, where jeans and t-shirts were the norm and a nice sweater was overdressed, so I've never worked a business casual type place before. Also, this place is OK with facial piercings, tattoos, and odd colored hair. Jeans seem like they'd be less of an issue than that.

• I think yes, as long as the jeans are clearly more "business like" (dark, good fitting, not revealing, the kind that look like more formal wear), else I'd say you need to think on something else.

• Play it safe for a while. Once you get a better feel for the atmosphere and you start making friends, you can try the jeans.

What Girls Said 2

• Jeans usually aren't business casual unless stated on certain days like casual Fridays. I wouldn't regardless though just because your boss didn't give you a straight answer. Its better to be safe than sorry.

• Be definition, jeans are not business casual. Doesn't matter if they are designer jeans or not. Business casual basically means the area between jeans/shirt and a suit. So slacks, skirts, cardigans, blouses, nice shirts.

The other people you see in your office who wear jeans regularly are, as you already noted, higher ranking than you so I do not suggest that you take that as a sign that you can also do same.