Guys, is style important to you?

I was just curious to see- is style important to you? Although everyone doesn't want to admit it, you judge someone at first glance. And when you see someone who dresses like you, or dresses well, you may want to get to know them more so than someone who didn't care as much. For me, I have a certain style going on. I tend to dress more rock/ indie (I wear combat boots, and plaid shirts, leather jackets, band tees). I am trying to project that I like rock (because I do) because I feel like if I do, maybe I may attract people who have similar interests to me. I'm not saying I wouldn't date someone who didn't, but I think it helps in a way. My question is, say if you saw a girl like me, who looked your type and had things in common, would you be more eager to talk to her? Or is it just, a girl is good-looking and you want to talk to them because of their looks. Because in my opinion, even if a girl wasn't so attractive, if she dressed well, she could be more appealing (same with guys). I guess that's sort of what I am doing in a sense.

Most Helpful Guy

• Style is used to project an image of yourself. When I was your age, I also wore combat boots, plaid shirts, surplus army pants ripped off at the knee, etc. The music you listen to, the style you have etc are your 'tribe' and a big part of your own self identity. Music _was_ important to me then, I played in bands, and it was a big part of my life. My wife liked overlapping music, and I guess though I was cool.

Now I wear more suits and sportsjackets. I had a 5 minute conversation with a guy I bumped into in an elevator yesterday about northhamptonshire shoe makers and the best web portals to get them through. My wife, who used to wear all black all the time, drools over summer hats in the brooks brothers catalog. The main music in our house is children's songs (though I did listen to a little Ministry on my commute a few days ago). Things change.

I guess what I was going to say is it sort of matters, and at your age its naturally a big part of your self identity.

As for the last part of your question, yeah, you definitely are more likely to approach people whose dress suggests they are part of a similar 'group' to you. I wouldn't say it makes her more appealing or would make up for looks - my sense is women put MORE stress on 'appropriate dress', men are more interested in looks. However if I like her looks AND her style, it is a plus, and I might ALSO think I'd have a shot.

It would be weird if I were single now, because well, I'm walking down the street in a suit, my piercings are gone, no more shaved head (or long hair partly shaved head). But when I see good looking 'indie' or whatever you want to call them girls out of the corner of my eye, my brain has forgotten I don't look part of that scene any more ...

What Guys Said 12

• I agree that if she is dressed well that she could be more appealing, but I wouldn't say a specific style is important. For example, Oh, she doesn't where forever21 clothing... that's a turn-off. No, nothing like that, but as long as she is presentable, then she should be good. A certain style may be more appealing to one guy than the other, but it wouldn't be important for a girl to where said style. I don't care what kind of clothing the girls wear, or if they are out of fashion or any of that, as long as she looks presentable then she's fine.

• I am cursed by being both short and being one of those people that doesn't appear to age at all. At twenty one I am more than capable of throwing on my old school uniform and passing for a fourteen year-old if I've shaved that morning, so the usual modern guys fashions like t-shirts and shorts can leave me looking far younger than I'd like. I suppose that's one of the reasons I veer towards the more "timeless" male styles. I prefer to strut it in jeans and a blazer. If it's cold I might toss a v-neck sweater over the shirt, and on the rare day when it's sunny (I live in Scotland) I might class it up by rolling up my sleeves and donning a wool waistcoat while leaving the top button of my shirt undone. People say I sometimes look a little "preppy", but it's a small price to pay when you want to look your age (Especially when trying to chat up women).

Now, whether you'd "like" me I have no idea. I like rock, but I'm one of those weird people with weird interests. I'm just as likely to listen to Queen as I am Mozart or something like that (Hell, I'm listening to Stayin' Alive by the Bee Gees as I type this lol). From how you describe yourself I'd most certainly be eager to talk to you, you sound awesome. But a girl's appearance only plays so much into it. Depending on her personality, I'd just as easily be interested in a Emo girl, tomboy girl, academic girl, on anything else really. If she looked well put together, had an attractive personality and was comfortable in her own skin then it would matter how she dressed. Though, surprises are never boring. My dream woman would have the body of a Suicide Girl, the attitude of a tomboy and the mind of a total bookworm lol. A man can always hope.

• Yes, style is important. I answered your question partly because of the off-the-shoulder look.

• I think for a lot of guys style matters more in an aesthetic sense. Certainly there is a group identity aspect to it but I don't know how much that matters to guys. For me personally, I think the indie/nerd/hipster look is really cute so I find myself attracted to girls with that style not because I identify with that culture but because I enjoy the aesthetic.

• Im waaaayyy off here but I tend to group dress sense with intelligence...

Like have would you associate a girl who dress with class as being stupid...me thinks not =\

• that's the reason why nerds like bill gates are the most retarded people. now I know, thanks! heidi klum is probably the most intelligent woman in history of mankind. she's even more intelligent than marie curie!

• you can't be serious ROTFL. Most jocks dress like slobs too. I'm a math major and I'm pretty sure I dress better than you do. Don't stereotype.

• Monocles, top hats and moustaches never go out of fashion ! =)

I know you can't paint everyone with the same brush, that would be silly, but you can't deny that that what you wear says something about you.

Like using you for an example, if I seen you on the street, I wouldn't think your stupid...

Adversely, if I seen the guy in my link below, I certainly would think he's studying to be a doctor

do you agree?

• I'm liking your style a whole lot

• girls who dress overly stylish tend to be insecure. they feel the need to compensate for something. that's a turn off. of course I want her to look good/to be stylish, but she shouldn't overdo it/shouldn't try too hard.

• Well style is basically always used as a form of expression. I somewhat hit border line as far as dressing up goes.

• No.

As long as it looks good.. it's fine.

But there are certain styles which never look good.

• Yes it is.

• Yeah, I live in las vegas and girls tend to over glam themselves when they walk the strip so I instantly fell in love with this girl wearing some chuck taylors, vintage wash jeans and some sort of white t-shirt and what do know... We liked the same bands.

"I like to rock flannels with rolled up sleeves and my shoes or jeans often match my trilby, every now and then I'll wear a deep v, and even when its hot I'll still rock a beanie"

• I don't like over stylish girls. But can't really say a certain style is more important than another. Yes if she is dressed in a way that is similar to mine it may mean we have things in common but not always.

What Girls Said 0