Aren't you disappointed by the importance our society has given to looks ?

I was reading that article on the lack of investment in science and engineering, and how government haven't been able to make people aware of how crucial those department were in order to recover from the crisis and boost growth. Anyways, the journalist concludes saying that around 50% teenage girls want to be models and only 5% engineers.

Don't you think that if most of people spent just half less time on their looks and spent it on studying or any cultural activities we would live in a better place ?

Seriously, the entertainment industry pays way better than any other when it only contributes to, well, our entertainment.

I'm not saying we shouldn't care about image and stop playing our social role play but I wish they'd teach children that your brain defines who you are not your facial features at school (even if they can help you).

Most Helpful Guy

• If 50% of girls want to be models, they should maybe put that want to good use and stop gorging themselves to obesity. :-) On a serious note, a *healthy* focus on looks is critical to continued fitness and long-term survival of any animal, including the human race.

Nobody wants to be engineers and scientists because engineering and science are hard but the pay-off for most people is only moderate. These are the types of white-collar workers who are some of the most exploited by our society as a whole - they produce a lot of lasting value and they are being given back for it relatively little. As a photographer in NYC I know that modeling is hard work too, and has its own stresses etc., but it's not the same as earning your Ph.D and then making $70K/yr.

By contrast, in a lot of creative or athletic or fashion or entertainment fields of endeavor, you are either nothing and make nothing and nobody hears about you, or you are a big success and that's who everybody hears and talks about, and you make millions of dollars per year for what to most outsiders looks like a very pleasant and pretty easy job if you're a natural for it.

People like lotteries and far prefer the latter.

What Guys Said 25

• I'd like to point ou that pay in the entertainment industry pays terribly. Yes some stars make a fair bit of money - but very little compared to what the highest paid engineers and developers earn (bill gates, zuckerberg, jobs). If you are going to look at the best paid models and movie stars, you should be comparing them to the best paid in industry. By contrast, the average full-time professional model in the United States earns less than

30,000 a year. Which is about half what my company plays developers straight out of university.

Girls dream of being models because it is a symbol of being beautiful. And beautiful young women have high status and can choose their partners. Boys do not dream of being models because of male models do not hold the same status. they want to be star athletes or investment bankers

I don't think you can blame this on society though. As long as men value physical beauty in women very highly, women will want to achieve that

• But you cannot compare the sacrifices those people did to get where they are today in their lifes with some good diet and nice genetics can you ?

If kids claims to be more mature than decades ago, that they can go out, do their own experience, drugs they should be aware that maturity isn't about smoking pot at 13. Take any reality show (yes they are fun to watch) but jersey shore isn't typically the real life.

Just saying that life would be great if high status werent sexually related

• Status and sex will always be intertwined. It's half the reason people want status to begin with.

• Yes, and no. I'm disappointed that a focus on beauty has driven our culture toward selling sexual appeal moreso than it is driven toward expanding our human possibilities, and I am disappointed in that such professions do generate such a high amount of income as to "drown out", so to say, other professions, financially. It's very sad that with all of our capabilities as people, that there's such a high gross income for such fields, and yet technology is only being driven from certain parts of the planet, rather than from all across it.

Now that I think of it, a lot of that probably sounded fairly repetitive...

Anyway, I'm not disappointed in the fact that it's really quite natural, given human nature. It's very easy to be vain, or to look solely for looks, and little further, and the reason is simple: reproduction. Our meaning for existence, biologically, is to reproduce, so it's not surprising in the least that in our search for the "perfect" mate, beauty becomes the focus. Humanity is quite perverted, in various ways, and though athletes make so much more money than my entire family will probably ever see in their lifetime if accumulated, that's just the way it is, because entertainment is so big in [American] culture.

Just my 2 cents... Hopefully didn't ramble too badly, haha.

• well I still thought I had a chance at playing baseball full time when I was a teen. So I guess it depends on who takes the survey. When the bills start rolling in people are more worried about there jobs, trust me. In some ways though looks do play an important role because it keeps people healthy, and wanting to look and feel good.and someone who is feeling good is usually on their game at work.It is those teen and sometimes even early twenties when both men and women are more worried about their social lives, how good they look and less on becoming a rocket scientist by the age of 24 haha. I totally get what your saying but the freedom of choice of what you do with your life in this country leads some people to be slackers as long as they can and then mature later on. Look at how many are going back to school or getting more and more degrees later on in life.

• I do agree with you to a certain degree. I, personally, am disappointed by how little importance society seems to put on intelligence. Especially since cognitive intelligence is among the top traits that an organism can obtain. We've come all this way from single-celled organisms only to end up exactly like the rest of the animal kingdom. Looks come first because most people are still quite primitive. They just want something to hump. Most of Western population would choose pleasure over discipline and that's the reason why the obesity rate rises and IQ and work ethic falls. I used to think exactly what you're thinking. Then I thought "I can wait for them to change or I can force them". That's why my research is in microbiology - mainly focused on antibiotic-resistant viruses and bacteria - and if some day my work "accidentally" contaminates someone outside of the lab... Well, accidents happen, right? ;)

• that was funny ! and thanks for answering to our anonymous user seeking for answers.

• No, if our society and culture believed so strongly in looks, but obesity wouldn't be such a major problem. That is not to say, however that intelligence is being pushed or even presented in a positive light. In my opinion it is crucial to stop presenting completely falsified images of beauty and stop proping stupidity and stupid people onto a pedestal like the people of jackals, "role models" like these and unattainable beauty and ideals are ruining modern society and culture. It's helping to raise fools, and kill the individuals drive to achieve beauty and success, and even work ethics are hurt by the promotion of stupidity and "get rich or die trying" beliefs that are being instilled in youths. We need to bring back moral values, and family values, work ethics, personal responsibility, and the support structures of helping one another out instead selfishness.. This is just my opinion, the so no I don't think it is bad to say beauty is important, but put intelligence and other things up there to choose from and keep them all realistic so people do not become discouraged, and because having beauty and brains IS feasible to those willing to push themselves and achieve.

• Name 5 famous alchemists.

NAME ODYSSEUS.

It's the way we're predisposed, entertainment. No one has to be all het up on science, Aristotle didn't like, redefine the world because he had to compete with teenage girls. Al-Jaber, the godfather of experimental chemistry, wasn't an IDOL to teenage girls allover Arabia. Nevertheless, now we've got motherf***ing SCIENCE. So, it's worked alright up 'til now. A small amount of the population are scientific and a small amount are artistic and they create everything everyone else uses, and everyone else progresses with their own individual little universe and the world continues in an erroneous fashion, and it's alright. This has happened since cavemen times. Only one guy discovered the wheel, right? Not even 5% of all teenage girls were interested in wheels before he discovered the wheel, you get me?

• Dont think you got me, I do consider art as important, and a creative intelligence is as hard too develop as some sdcientific intelligence. And science isn't either everything I'm aware of that. Yet, you cannot compare times when most girls and most people didn't even know how to read to our time. We can share information and ideas faster than ever, we can learn more things from any cultures do you think that's what most people do in front of their computer ?

• Oh and I forgot ! Alchemist only deal with transmutation of metals lol so aristote isn't anaalchemist ...

But that's okay I don't argue on insignificant points ;)

• Oh, that was a separate point. I wasn't implying Aristotle was an alchemist. They didn't just deal with the transmutation of metals, though, that was just one concept - you had the philosophers stone, elixir of life, lah-de-dah. And they dealt with what we would now put under 'chemistry' - Al- is just an arabian prefix, even, it just means 'chemistry.' Just at the time they had this religious and metaphysical nature, as well, eclecticism and so on. Alchemy now deals solely with the metaphysics

• Well you know, that's what I've been trying to tell people for a long time but the general population is in a state of slumber which they can not awake from until catastrophe hits. Those subjects are UTTERLY important, yet the general population looks at anyone passionate about them as "autistic" or not cool, obviously because those people themselves are nothing more than cookie cut-outs of societies mold.

Most, if not all (and I really mean if not all) of humanities progression can be entirely accounted for by the sciences and mathematics, and I truly believe there's no limit to what can be accomplished if we just utilitized our brains but you're right, society places greater values on more menial things. It's a sad disposition to be in as a nation but in all actuality, I think that's pretty much what is to be expected of humanity (except for in Asian and indian cultures).

So to answer you question, yes, I am. But there's nothing I can do except be the start of a new breed to that seeks to change that cultural norm. Well not necessarily the start of it, but be part of it.

• There should be more questions like these. 5 Stars.

I totally believe if people took life a little bit more seriously, America wouldn't have as many problems as it does now. No wonder America gets all of our Engineers and Doctors from Overseas. Cause we're not producing anyone good!

My Economics teacher went to Africa for vacation and she visited a village where they have no running water and barely any food. And what does she see on the wall of someones tent? A Beyonce and Jay-Z photo. lol what?

I believe that people should get paid based upon their passion and personality for their career. Who cares if Kim K. got divorced. She's on a magazine cover every week!

Why does a guy (Peyton Manning) get paid 19 million a year to throw a ball?!

Doctors or Engineers don't even make that much in a life time!

Who cares about football when we have people dying in the street?

This is why I kinda like Jeremy Lin. He went to Harvard and worked his butt off and get paid big bucks. I wish more athletes and celebrities were like this.

Think of Michael Phelps, This guy has how many gold medals and then smokes weed. Like come one. That sends such a negative image to everyone else.

Makes my want to leave America. Yeah, this place has a lot of opportunities and has more freedom. But that doesn't mean anything if you don't have money.

Over here people die in hospitals because they don't have insurance.

Overseas you're dying in a hospital you'll most likely get taken care of.

In Canada, how long do you have to wait in the ER compared to waiting in the ER in the US?

And when you get to school, the cost is astronomical!

In America it costs 15X as much as it does in France.

In France it costs about a thousand dollars and in US its about 15K (For a public school)

In France you have free health care until you're 20 and after that its about a hundred dollars after that.

I know I made America seem pretty crappy but I didn't want to seem ungrateful for living here but I am not.

There are definitely benefits to living/working here.

• thats funny cause I live in france

and I went to expenzive private high school lol, also we do happen to have a good health care syste but youd be shocked by what uni look like here

the school I'm thinkin g of going to next year is just as expensive as the ivy league uni though

anyways I do agree on the rest of your answer, so thanks

• As an engineer I couldn't agree more!

I work on space flight and exploration, trying to extend the reaches of human knowledge, etc. I get a lot of people who think space exploration is a waste of time and money. Most of whom aspire to be models or actors... Still don't get how that works...

• neither define you, your action define you but I agree if as long as people are talking care of themselves. I wouldn't want to live in a place where people didn't care at all. also fatness is huge probelm in America so if are talking about America that's ironic, its apparently our biggest epidemic

• Of course. People should worry more about things that matter other than looking good, that's part of the reason why other countries are kicking our asses in the academic department.

• I really agree with you. now I've decided to market to those people. Give me their money stupid retards. he he he!

• They'll never stop buying into their appearance he he he

• I read this from a monologue, people are locked into the consumer system that they want to make money and be perfect. and a woman said she doesn't think of her body as a trusting companion, she said people are very materialistic now.

• Of course I'm disappointed. I'm so ugly I don't have a chance against others.

• I'm a math teacher who is not very good looking...so I second what you are saying.

However, I'm not angry or bitter. The technical fields like math and science aren't sexy...but without us there would be no internet, cell phones, TVs, cars, etc.

• hell yea, but theirs other worst things that our society has giving a lot of importance, worst and less important than looks... and guess what? it kills me!

• I live in Hollywood. It sucks.

• I have been worried about my looks for the past year. I have lost 150lbs in hopes of looking good. It depresses me.

• Looking good, dude - 150lbs is an amazing milestone. You should approach makers of any foods or equipment or services (like personal training or diet counseling) you used to achieve your goals. Definitely endorsement possibilities.

• Hang in there man, women weigh personality over looks a lot more. Why do you feel like you failed? You lost an amount of weight most overwight people can't in there lifetime. Youve had great success in that area and you should be proud of that. And who's calling you ugly!? F*** them, that's what I say!

• no one is but I feel that so that's how I believe I failed and sometimes I want to go back to 354 again

• Not really.

degrees=good pay

good looks=good pay

I think people just want a decent living wage...

But also remember health is wealth...

becoming anything in life is hard lol...

• degrees=intelectual investment

good looks=being lucky (atleast for your face)

i was very happy untill I start thinking about it, how I used to get anything I wanted from whateverguy I met, and how people just offerthings cause they think you're hot but that was when I was in high school I just enjoyed my perfect golden life. now id rather be recognize for my intelectual capacities.

• not really. Have you seen some of the famous models out there... A lot of them have strange features. That is why they get picked lol. it is because you are with immature dudes in your circle lol. I will tell you this. I have rejected hot women... Looks are not everything but it makes life easier. I sometimes get free food due to a woman finding me attractive. It is what it is.

• the make up comment was for the other guy lol

so we agree on one point at least : looksarent everything ! and people that think so are immature.

and I always reject any free food/drinks/tables etc that I get only because guys find me attractive.

i must admit that when I was into mypartying phase I was happy that I could get for free in any clubs/vip areas in any city id go though

• so basically you're saying since I'm a Literature major I'm a piece of sh*t

• science was just anexemple ! as I mentionned in a tone of comments, I've never said that it should prevail over any other domain, or that politics, litterature, art werent important.

my question had to do with looks, and appearance, you being a literature major has nothing to do with it!

i love literature and philosophy and I think that you need to be pretty intelligent to get those things

• aw, you were so nice. I don't even know why I was mad

• haha that's OK you're all forgiven

• Who wouldn't want to get paid for being good looking?

• eh..maybe some days...but when I look at you...I love what I see...(:(:(:

• thanks I guess ...

• haha nah I do believe you, but I thought it was ironical you complimenting me when my question is somehow against looks that's all ! anyways compliments are always nice so thanks from the bottom of my heart :) (see how nice I can be)

• ok..then that's better! Will friend you...

• I'm more disappointed with the importance society has placed on social skills and good non-verbal vibes. Women in bars have come up and hit on me semi-frequently and one female friend wanted to have sex when she was drunk and hurt by her crazy sociopath ex, but I'm still a virgin in no small part due to lacking the skills to properly express empathy towards others.

So I suppose it's flawed but people can always do things to change their appearance. I feel bad for women in that regard since it's easier for men to throw on a clean, pressed semi-expensive shirt, some jeans and a confident smile along with a naturally tall build. That seems to be enough to catch the eye of a lot of women, at least until direct verbal communication is involved heh

• I'm going to disagree. Think about how important having a great partner is for a person's happiness. Now think about how many more (and better) mating options we have if we are more attractive. Looks ARE important to us in our lives. Nothing wrong with recognizing that fact.

Also, given the obesity epidemic in this country, I'd say not ENOUGH people see the importance of being attractive.

• very true way to many fat people at least in America, its a huge problem.

• Indeed.

• I don't think our society did.. I think our instinct did... check out my question

• Your question? You didn't even provide a link and you're anonymous, r'tard.

• OOOOOOoooops! I thought I posted the link but I guess I forgot... well anyway the question is old now :/

• How about everyone does both?

Look good & contribute to society.

• Never exclude that, but not everyone can look good whereas most people can work on their mental abilities :) also, models etc do contribute to society in some ways

What Girls Said 7

• unfortunately, every society since ancient times have valued beauty very highly so it's really nothing new. however, older societies (i.e. victorian society) also valued personality traits that we no longer recognize (or which we even judge badly now a days) such as fidelity, intelligence, serious-mindedness, economy among others. you can't change society but you can jst be yourself which is ideally someone who is/feels beautiful inside and out!

• Honestly I think deep down everyone is disappointed. On the bright side, people value their image [not just their looks] more than ever, and social organisations can use that to their advantage to try and mould people's attitude for the better.

I don't know if you noticed, but along with the Facebook craze, people got aware of the fact they can market themselves to the groups they interact to, so they get involved in whatever makes them look good [even if "getting involved" means sharing a video or "liking" a page]. Point is, there's potential to this and it'll be exploited and slowly, attitude will outrank looks.

• ohh god, don't even get me started! Yes, I am dissapointed as well!..I don't see the "light" of becoming a model..and not a singer for that matter, but at least They DO something!...models? what do they do?..other than trying to look skinny as f***, they; walk, stand, walk, stand, and pose. is that even a real education? where's the brain? where's the skills? all they get paid for is to "look good." and the weirdest things is; not even Half of their faces are pretty!..have you seen them lately?..eeek>.<...

would I become one?.. Naah...I'm pretty good with myself, thank you;)

- Proud to be a Feminist and a future Animator;D

• Yea, I guess it's true, the world's more superficial now, and people are spending more $ on cosmetics & material goods than before as they become more affluent and exposed to media. That's what happens when you've got so many shows, movies & songs focusing on the high life and importance of looks & $$$. I've seen so many people at where I live, rather give up a good education and choose not to study hard, just to focus on their social life, and spend their lives Facebooking & clubbing away... and being popular etc. I admit I'm like that too... I wanna be pretty, popular & someday act or model... even though I'm not good enough :-( And I really think it's because of the environment I was exposed to...

But really, I guess it can't be helped unless we take the TVs & money away... in such an environment, practical skills & smartness come before looks.

• I'm a teenage girl, I don't think I'm hideous, but I prefer tshirts most days. I'd much rather do something cool like astronomy or ecology when I'm older vs modeling. It seems like a people pleasing profession to me.

• Yes a good looking person is pleasant to look at but just because theyre appealing doesn't make them a god or superior to other people. Its really annoying how most attractive people on TV are advertised sexually.

• I'm not disappointed. It's human natural and understandable

• Violence is natural not sure we should all go for it. Some natural things can be limited, that's what makes us different from animals. Plus, if you look at history beauty has never had today's definition so it's really something rational that you can understand

• What men desire and what's considered beautiful are two different things, QA. Men have always gone after women whose physical characteristic showed an exemption of sorts from the health epidemic of their time. During times when famine is rampant, men favored overweight women. During times when obesity is rampant (now, for instance), men favor thin women. It's something we're wired for. We want to make healthy babies with women who won't fall victim to the epidemic of our generation.

• I'm aware of that but thanks for the general reminder I guess :)

But paintings of that time still portray obeses, so that must have something to do with beauty, since art was the higher expression of beauty by those times, right?