Is it a bad idea to ask for the hairdresser to do what they think would look good?

I've no idea what I want, I just know I want a haircut, is it a bad idea to go to a hairdresser and say something along the lines of "I want something sort of unique, short to medium length, my head slimmed down and nothing spikey" basically, I won't be that rude of course, do you think I'd come out with something terrible or are they likely to do an actually good job if the hairdressers is right.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think you'd get something that looks good, you may not like it, but it will look good on you. I also think you will make your hairdresser's day by making that request lol they're so used to be dictated to so a little artistic freedom will be really fun for them.

What Girls Said 2

• It depends...

If it's a very good hairdresser they're not going to do anything to make you look bad.

• it would be very easy for a hairdresser to f you up with that description you gave them. ahah

What Guys Said 5

• Why would it be a bad idea? ...and what you said isn't rude at all, lol. I always ask hairdressers/barbers what hair-styles would suit me best... It's all a part of their job.

I've rarely had a bad haircut, but on the off-chance that I do, the hair will grow back in a couple of weeks anyway... Sometimes if some hair is uneven after a cut, I'll go back and have them even it out, which they'll usually do for free. Not a huge deal...

• Don't put I like that. Explain that you don't really know what you want but that you'd like a suggestion given your features and hair. Not the time to go to the cheapest place around.

• hopefully it's a good hairdresser and a style that's not difficult to style. I go to cheap little 20 dollar various hair cut places and ask for faux hawks and I'm pretty sure 100% of hairstylists always screw up and cut the front of my hair way too short which pisses me off. Looks like it's time to start spending some more money on haircuts since average stylists don't even know what a real faux hawk looks like.

• YES! If the hairdresser is a girl.

YES! If the hairdresser doesn't have a style you like.

NO! If the hairdresser is a dude and you like his haircut.

• Not bad at all, in fact they would probably be thrilled. This is very much like asking for the chef's recommendation at a restaurant.