Why do so many people buy overpriced designer stuff?

For example this girl was talking about how her mom bought her miss me jeans that were like $300 for her having OK grades. Ans everyone always buys overpriced stuff like tops that cost four times as much as normal shoes that don't even last a whole year just because theyre a certain brand. Am I the only one that thinks this is kind of stupid? And don't say that they last longer because I know from personal experience that's not true,

Most Helpful Guy

• I totally feel the same way, everyones pretty much forced to wear clothes (no I'm not a nudist) which is why some clothes are so cheap. so the only reason I can think of is that the jeans are being bought at that price to make the girl feel more special the more money spent the more special she feels I guess

What Guys Said 5

• it's not about the durability but about the style. Girls look better when they put an effort to dress nicely and nicer clothes tend to cost more. Obviously there are like slutty chicks who just show off their t*ts and ass or what not and do get attention but girls that spend some money and really try and look nice will be the most beautiful looking.

• What do you mean overpriced? WHO ARE YOU TO DEFINE INTRINSIC VALUE

YOU CHEAP WHORE

Nah, 'cos like, you feel badass, in brand sh*t. I own some brand name clothes, that I got hellishly cheap - like, over 300% cheaper than asking price - and I feel like a legend in them, I don't even know why, they must like, put chemicals on them, line them with IM Opiates or something. And not everyones as SAVVY as me and my maww, searching pawn shops.

• what kind of brand name clothes?

• hehe well you should its a good show link but no you don't have to worry I don't know you.

• oh I'm a cheap ass and just buy Armani Exchange stuff lol. Actual Armani clothes are pretty expensive lol.

• Because they are stupid.

• False sense of status and superiority?

Irresponsible spending habits?

Too much money?

Stupidity?

• Because they can? They have the money to do it and they like it, so why not? I sense a hint of jealousy

• Lol no I could buy brand names if I wanted so I'm not jealous. I'm just saying for example I bought vans shoes which were like fifty bucks and they ripped within like three months and I have cheaper shoes which I've literally had for three years which would look brand new if I cleaned them. That's what I mean and some girls buy a top for like forty bucks when they can buy for much cheaper just because it's from a certain store.

What Girls Said 6

• I think buying by brand is pretty stupid in general especially when people do it by the masses, what's the point of having fashion when you walk outside in something and before you get far you're bound to see at least 20 other people with the same shirt as yours on?

• you have to strike a balance, buy within your means and what not , but it is nice to treat yourself to something nice once in a while! or only splurge on staple clothing like a really good jacket that you will get a lot of use out of.

• yea I see what you mean I like hollister stuff a lot though so I guess that counts

• I don't. Who cares

• I don't because it won't last forever plus no one can tell unless you tell them

• My friends say its better quality but I don't believe it

• Sometimes the materials they use are better quality and the stitching is nicer.

People also go for the fit, especially with jeans, designer jeans tend to be a lot slimmer/longer.

People buy designer clothes because they have the original designs and don't want to support others who have ripped off these designs.

Designer clothes look better.