How much does a partner's fitness level / physique factor into dating somebody?

I got sparked to ask this question by an answer I read.

Some people care a lot more about the physical fitness / physique than others. We've probably heard someone, even ourselves, say something such as the following:

* "i work hard to keep my body fit, and I need to date someone that puts in the same effort or it's not gonna work"

* "the physique of the person doesn't matter much to me; I'm more of a "face" person

* "i can't date a guy that is really lanky / heavy; it's unsexy to me"

* "I don't have the BEST body in the world, but I want a guy that at least does a little bit to take care of himself"

* "I'm not in the best shape, but I do want my partner to be able to motivate and inspire me to better myself physically"

----------------------

So, on a 1-10 scale (10=highest, 5=average), how much does a guy's / girl's fitness level factor into you being able to be attracted to, and date, that person?

Please vote and elaborate as much as you like.

-------------

Thanks for your input. :)

• 1-2 out of 10
  • 3-4 out of 10
  • 5-6 out of 10
  • 7-8 out of 10
  • 9-10 out of 10

Most Helpful Guy

• Fitness or appearance? I mean, fitness is a good thing, but people can be fit and not look like the "fit physique." That's something most people don't seem to understand about people's bodies. But in general, I don't care that much. If she's not fit, but I really love her personality and such, so be it. If anything, I'd try and encourage her to work out with me (walks or whatnot). Hell, it'd give me more reason to do it than "just cause." It's more fun to do such WITH someone than alone.

• "Fitness or appearance?"

For THIS question, fitness is the focus.

• Ah, I'd say a mild factor, but won't keep me from ever being interested if we really click that well and whatnot.

What Girls Said 2

• I'd say it matters to me in the sense that I would want the guy to be interested in a healthy lifestyle...not saying he needs to be all muscular and what not...just that he should try to take care of himself...

• It would be wrong to expect someone to work on their body more than I do. Fortunately, my boyfriend and I have similar fitness levels and similar body types. Supposedly people are supposed to be attracted to bodies that are similar to their own and we fit this theory.

What Guys Said 3

• I don't care how "fit" they are, really. You don't have to hit the gym all the time or be able to run a million miles, that's just impractical nowadays.

The actual chubbiness (that is, lack thereof) is the part that matters in terms of body. As long as it doesn't look like any kind of chore to walk, run, or get out in general, you have my vote. Even if you don't actually walk, run, or get out much.

Heck, I've been on my butt studying most of the time in college. I love walking and regularly walk. I love sports, but rarely play them. I certainly don't expect you to look like you hit the weights and treadmill. What I expect is for you to manage yourself and your weight, and not make it a hassle to go out and have an active day.

• 8...the body of the girl has to be at least be average for me to be attracted to him.

• It matters quite a bit to me. I'm in pretty good shape and I'd like it if they were in pretty good shape too:)