Do you think "ugly" exists? =)

For some reason, I don't see people that way. Like I think if you look at someone long enough, they have something about them that is attractive...girls and guys both...do you know what I mean? I don't think I always felt this way but now I'm a firm believer that no one should be thought of as "ugly." Some are just more average looking than others...thoughts?

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree!

I mean I don't think any one is ugly.

Who has the right to call someone else unattractive or ugly?

It's such a hateful word.

I am no better than any one else. Therefore, I cannot call someone else ugly.

Everyone has their own tastes. So everyone is appealing to someone else. There are 6 billion people in the world. I 'm sure you're appealing to at least one!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. So once you finally see your true self its like a veil is lifted from your eyes and you finally get to see the person that you've always wanted to see. (Even though its the same person) Get it?

It's like saying a certain article of clothing is ugly.

Why say its ugly?

Why can't we just say it's not my style. I wouldn't wear that.

Everyone has their own tastes and such.

Your question reminded me of this quote (I think I showed it to you before):

When you start to really know someone, all his physical characteristics start to disappear. You begin to dwell in his energy, recognize the scent of his skin. You see only the essence of the person, not the shell. That’s why you can’t fall in love with beauty. You can lust after it, be infatuated by it, want to own it. You can love it with your eyes and body but not your heart. And that’s why, when you really connect with a person’s inner self, any physical imperfections disappear, become irrelevant.

- Lisa Unger

P.s. When I say 'you' I don't mean you in particular haha

• Best answer ever ! So much of it is similer to the thought process that was going through my mind as I was preparing to respond. But I cannot put it better.

• I get called ugly every day. So much that when I see people whispering to each other I think they're talking about me. Its been like this for so long that I realize its just reality. People just tend to say hurtful words without them knowing it and theirs people that actually mean it. People like me just won't be able to live normal in this generation because its created to benefit attractive people. Personaly I think people that call others ugly are cold hearted. For me, I get a chance to

• Just live a critisized life.

What Guys Said 8

• Well in terms of physical attractiveness, there is technically traits that are attractive and vise versa ugly, regardless if they are artificially or biologically programmed into us.

While there are always exceptions to the rule, scientist have done studies (which I have seen), where they surveyed people in different ways to determine what traits people found more attractive. Things like facial dimensions and expressions, female hip/waist ratio, facial feature location, etc. etc. So certain ratios/locations/dimensions have been proven to be more desirable. However there are always exceptions, Obviously these surveys are more or less telling you what the most common trait picked was but that doesn't mean everyone picked it, just the majority.

• I dunno. I'm thinkin I could look at Rosie O'Donnell til the Pope gets married and it wouldn't do a lot of good.

• Well I don't think ugly exists, but rather attractiveness. I see some pretty unfortunate people out there with a significant other but then I see some average to attractive people are single. Take for granted others factors contribute to that but still

• I believe ugly and beauty is a metaphysical construct, in that they are perfect forms on opposite ends of a spectrum, too perfect to be described or witnessed purely in the physical realm. With that being said, it is no different than knowing what a circle is, but never seeing a perfect circle. However, we all have a general idea behind what's beautiful and what's perceived to be ugly. We can all easily say, it's all 'subjective' but in actuality, we can all without a doubt, notice and identify individuals that are higher and lower on the attractiveness scale.

• i think most people are not ugly (there might be a few exceptions)

the problem is most people I don't generally look at don't wear/style them selves based on their appearance

another thing is people don't put enough effort to stay healthy

some people just let them selves go and start becoming obese because they will eat too much/not workout

• Wow. I don't know what to say, other than... I disagree?

• Por que? =)

• lol! Didn't the smiley face help counter that impression? Yeah but I'd call that average...oh well...thanks Stitches!

• It just seems a lot of people are living in fantasy land where everyone has a chance at love when realistically there are people born with conditions and disfigurements and flat out "different" mugs that make them less appealing to the general population.

It doesn't HELP them find love by saying ugly doesn't exist. That's only making light of their condition while you yourself would never give them a chance. I won't sit here and say ugly doesn't exist when there are obviously some unfortunate.

• UGLY Is for the weak and for the shallow people.

• Ugly exists hence the reason why websites like theuglybugball exist. And the world will keep getting ugly because of all the interracial couples.

What Girls Said 12

• The thing about ugly people though, is that you don't want to look at them long enough to even see if there's anything "attractive" about them. (J/king)

I don't really believe the word "ugly" exists

(I only believe in the word when you are describing a certain type of personality.)

I do believe in people not being so attractive to others.

But then again, what people need to realize is that many people view the same person differentl

What's beautiful to you may be ordinary to another.

We all have different views, and look at the same person in many other ways.

• Ugly exists. I'm not saying you can't find redeeming qualities in even the most unattractive people, but if you choose to see attractive, why isn't there an opposite of it? It's just how things work, it's why we have the words for it and also why the majority of people agree on when someone is extra attractive or extra unattractive. It's human to see those things. Even animals see those things! (Think peacocks and their tails...) It's nice to want to eradicate the thought of ugliness, but it's not to be ignored. It's just there.

• Eh but I think it sends the wrong idea...saying someone is ugly dismisses what is good about them...I think the terminology isn't too kind...just saying...

• I totally agree with you. Pyhsical attractiveness is totally, completely subjective.

However, I do believe in ugly personalities, which, in my eyes, can often lead to ugly physical traits.

Personality can completely change the way I look at someone, and I'm not talking strictly romantically speaking, or specifically in guys. Just in general. Pretty on the inside, pretty on the outside. That's often the case, anyway. :-)

• I think there are unattractive people in the world. There are some people who are "ugly" on a surface and deeper level. I think how I perceive people has a lot to do with how they treat people. Surface level ugly can be excused, deeper level is hard to miss.

• Idk, I have seen sone VERY unappealing people to ME. However, I don't like to call anyone ugly. Everyone is beautiful to someone. Just because I find someone unattractive doesn't mean everyone else will. It's true that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder."

• I get you. I have a hard time seeing or deeming someone as "ugly."

There are people I wouldn't call attractive, but ugly is a rather extreme term for me.

But to what makes someone truly ugly to me is their personality.

• Really? Cause I feel I'm the ugliest person in the world while others tell me "oh you're so pretty, yada yada"...

But yeah I agree with that

• Yes, it does.

Ugly personality makes the person ugly.

• Yes, ugly exist.. I prove it everyday.

• you said it perfectly. I agree all the way

• beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• YES. Some people are just HIDEOUS and a sight for sore eyes!