Why is the idea that having tattoos and/or piercings means you won't get a good job still widely believed?

i have piercings in my nose, lip, ears, and bellybutton and tattoos on my foot, wrist, and neck (they are all semi-visible depending on what kind of shoes I'm wearing, where my hair falls, etc). right now I have a good job at a great company making $45k a year and am in line for a promotion that would take my salary to $60k. none of my coworkers or superiors or even clients care about my tattoos and piercings, and I'm definitely not the only person in my company with them. I wouldn't say they're common, like it's not a majority that has them, but they're certainly not uncommon. my degree is in law and I work as a law assistant for a well known American tech company.

a lot of my friends have a similar amount of facial piercings and/or tattoos. they're all in my age range, 22-25, and have degrees in varying fields: anthropology, history, business, accounting, physical therapy...and all of them are making somewhere between $40k and $75k a year.

why is there still this belief that having tats or facial piercings means you can't do better than a minimum wage job?

Most Helpful Guy

• In many jobs, it wouldn't matter and doesn't. In some, it definitely does. For example, many accounting firms would definitely frown on any visible piercings or tattoos if you are one of the accountants who actually goes and audits a client. I know some accountant auditors and this is 100% the case according to them. Your company wants you looking as professional and serious as humanly possible. Tattoos and piercings are showing bits of your personal life to the client which is a big no-no. It's your job to be as impersonal and professional as possible in the way you act, speak and look. The client should not be aware of any of your personal preferences or tastes. Another example is a doctor. Many patients, especially elderly ones absolutely judge their doctor on how well kept and professional they look. Anything that might be considered rebellious or unique will be frowned upon by some of these patients. There are other examples, but I thought I would just mention the first two that come to mind.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 3

• It's hard to take someone seriously when they have things sticking out of their lip and a tiger tattooed on their neck.

• I noticed that also, I don't understand why it's a big deal to people I've always had a job working with the public and when you're hired they just say cover tattoo's and take out piercings.

You can also get foundation/make up that covers tattoo's and invisible piercings, no one will even see them..

So I guess some people just aren't aware that there are other options and over exaggerate the situation

• It's not that you can't do better, it's that depending on the place it'll be harder to get a job. Physical apperance is important to some companies and some don't want to hire anyone with a tattoo or piercing. Also some people dislike people who have piercings/tattoos and might not hire them because of that. It's the way society looks at those people and it makes no sense really. It shouldn't matter about physical apperance, but unfortunately at some places, it does.