Will people think I'm a hipster if I dress in vintage clothing?

If I dress in hippie like shirts, bell bottoms, old dresses etc. Will people think I'm a hipster? I like vintage clothing and I don't want to be labeled as a hipster because I dress in clothing that I like.

So what do you think?

Most Helpful Guy

• You'll be labeled of course, there's nothing you can do about that. I'm not sure 'hipster' would be the label though. Maybe people would think you just wanted attention or just wanted to show off your expensive duds. Peronally , I lke vintage clothing too.

What Guys Said 7

• No, vintage clothing permeates both high and alternative fashions. I mostly wear vintage clothing, I'm nowhere near hipster, not at aaalll. And no one would ever think that of me, but everything I wear, literally, I can give you a date for most of my clothes, and it's usually over 30 years old.

• Although the 'don't care what others think' argument is usually a valid one, in case of clothing I think dressing so as not to be labelled is a valid thing to do. I used to wear t-shirts, but I found I hated the connotation, because t-shirts decide your side of the fence too easily; if you wear rock band t-shirts you're 'alternative', and sports t-shirts you're 'mainstream.' F***that! So, I wear button-shirts. Nobody knows what's going on, and I love that.

• t-shirts decide your side of the fence too? So that's cool you wear vintage. So you think dressing in clothes from the 50's,60's,70's,80's, 90's, would just be dressing vintage and not hipster like?

• What are you asking about that?

And yeah. Vintage isn't a style, it's a category.

• they might but who cares what others think, if you like what you're wearing then it doesn't matter.

• It's possible to wear those kinds of clothes and not be a hipster.

• Kind of. Just don't act like a snobby, know-it-all douchebag...hipsters f***ing suck.

• Sounds confusing lol. I just like and think what I want to like and think.

• lol That's how most people should be.

• I think you should wear what you like and spend less time worrying about what other people labels you as...

• People hate hipsters though and I don't want to be one.

• Does one become a hipsters because one wants to be a hipsters or because other people label you as such?

• Because they want to be? They all hate mainstream I guess. I'm not one so I don't know.

• If you want to dress like that then do it, who cares if people think your a hipster.

• if you live in a city most people won't care but if you live in a town with just a few thousand even than you might have to worry.

sometimes I want to dress in Victorian cloths but that's even more odd.

• Lol! I live in a city but there are only about 35,000 people. Victorian clothes would be cool but definitely different!

• is there a group of people you hang out with more than anyone else? if there is you can just say you like the style of cloths but you're not a hippie. I'm sure good friends would understand.

• Oh if they think I'm a hippie I wouldn't care lol. I don't want people thinking I'm a hipster.

What Girls Said 2

• I don't know if you'll be labeled as a "hipster," but regardless, that shouldn't stop you from wearing what you want.

I tried breaking out of the cookie-cutter clothing spell in high school and got looks (even negative comments from friends) when I dressed in my own style. Now that I'm in college, I could care less.

• It doesn't matter what I do everyone I know calls me a hipster. I do what I do because I like it. You should too.

Plus if you don't act self entitled and talk about underground music all the time you should be fine.

You're buying clothing not a label.