What makes you think you aren't ugly?

Without comparing yourself to anyone else; how do you know you are not ugly? Is there any real way to tell? Do you rate your looks based on what others tell you or do you have enough self-esteem to say you are not ugly; no matter what anyone says. I'm just asking a question that came to mind. I am neither pointing out anyone's flaws and/or self image problems.

I believe I am not ugly, because I like the look of my own face; both excepting my good and bad points. I have been told by guys and girls that I am beautiful/ sexy/ cute you name it, but it would mean nothing if I thought of myself as being ugly.

Most Helpful Girl

• i have been told I'm ugly by a few boys in high school, and by a boy last year.

But I have been told I'm beautiful by many more men and women, and men I've dated etc. I've always been insecure, but I find beautiful and ugly things about my appearance. I've realized that the people who called me ugly were immature and trying to hurt me and it worked, the people that told me I'm attractive I believe, and I suppose its because I do like the way I look, I am grateful for my body and face and there is no point wishing I looked like jessica alba, I know I'm not the most beautiful girl in the world and will never be, but yes, I am beautiful.

What Guys Said 10

• Physical attraction in peoples faces stems from symmetry. If your face is very symmetric, it is not ugly. Also, the absence of defects, like large moles, acne, scars, things like that, would also lower the chance of being ugly.

Full lips are better looking than thin lips. Big eyes are better looking than small eyes. A pronounced jawline is attractive in men, cheek bones are attractive in women.

It has nothing to do with self esteem, it has to do with how well you can identify traits on your own self.

But lastly, it doesn't matter, because confidence is the most attractive trait of them all.

• Then would you say that you should base your looks on the standards of the country you are living in?

• No. Those are universal traits that are found to be attractive across all countries and all races of people. Symmetry, lack of defects, confidence, jawline/cheekbones. Same everywhere.

• I get "attention" from the female gender often enough (across most age groups) when I'm out and about...to not think I'm ugly.

I take care of my body. I minimize my junk/processed food the best I can (I live at home so I don't buy my own food), I drink plenty of water, I eat my fruits and veggies, I consume my green tea everyday, I have a personal clothing style that I maintain...and most importantly I keep my hygeine top-notch.

*I* think that I look good, and that confidence is truly contagious in others. :)

• Things like your face being symmetrical and by how many opportunities you get tells you how good looking or bad looking you are.

• I think I'm pretty because my mommy tells me so =)

Nah but seriously, you notice attractive girls doing a double take at you or trying to make you notice them and stuff.

Also guys don't tend to like the look of me when they first meet me which kinda sucks, but alls grand after a few pints ;)

Dont get me wrong, I don't think I'm anything particularly special... I'd put myself at a 7/10 which is good I think =)

*picture at request lol =)

• I don't base my looks on what other people tell me.

I base my looks on what other people do with me.

• I don't really know. Its based on what I've heard but different people like different things. I can be very attractive to one person and completely overlooked by others.

• Can you not say you are or are not ugly regardless of others oppions

• If I were to say I'm not ugly, I guess just because some girls have hit on me and they're weren't bad looking themselves. I still think I'm ugly though. What makes you think you aren't ugly?

• My sister tells me her friends always tell her they think I'm cute. Also I get maybe one or 2 likes on my pictures on Facebook so I guess I'm not ugly. Haha

• Haha, That's actually really cute of them

• I've never really been that concerned with the way I look. I know I'm not ugly, I'm average and I'm OK with that.

• UMMM BECAUSE I F*** TONS OF GIRLS?

What Girls Said 14

• I don't like my looks at all and always have had problems with my appearance and confident issues. I even developed depression over it a while back and went to a psychologist. It helped a little but I still don't like what I see. I get compliments and my boyfriend gives me compliments all the time and he's a very attractive looking guy but that doesn't make me feel any better. I do what I can with my appearance and just hope that it's good enough for other people. I don't think there's any specific way of knowing whether you are ugly or not cause someone out there will find you attractive no matter what. Maybe not as many people will give you compliments if you are average but bottom line I don't think anyone can truly say they are ugly as everyone has flaws and some manage to hide them better than others. I don't rate my own looks on anything. I just look in the mirror and decide I'm not beautiful but I have a really hard time looking at myself anyway and my psychologist told me I have body dysmorphic disorder and that's why my perception of myself is distorted. It's a pretty sensitive topic for me actually but either way I don't think there's ever a way to really know the truth about your looks.

• if that's you in your pic, you look like taylor swift. so if you think she's pretty then..

• honestly I don't think you can absolutely not compare your looks to others. our societys definition of beauty is implanted into our consciousness from day one. if you had a different view of beauty adopted, you may not have the same reaction to your face. you are subconsciously comparing yourself to an image or a series of images of facial parts that you have been taught is beautiful, or some standard. or those images or parts that are associated with life experiences, with types of people that you have been taught are good or bad people, with types of people with which you have had good or bad experiences, etc. all this affects whether or not you respond positively or negatively to your face.

thats most of it. however, I do believe some people have pleasant faces or features that will attract attention for better or for worse.

anyway I believe I am pretty for the same reason, I like the look of my face. I like my facial features, they look very pretty and unique to me. although I could benefit from losing some damn weight so my face could be slimmer. :/

ive never been called sexy, well not often. but I do get cute, pretty, and beautiful, people stare at me and compliment me, etc. its the funniest thing when you can tell a child thinks you're pretty. its like you're witnessing the development of their perception of beauty or you're seeing how they have already been affected by social implications or you wonder if they are just having a natural reaction to you. I don't know I think about those things. I'm weird lol

• Here's the thing. I get compliments from guys once in a while online. So one could maybe say that I'm attractive enough.

Here's the other thing. I get no attention or compliments from guys ever in "real life". So one could maybe say that I'm not attractive enough.

While I really, truly appreciate every nice thing said about me by people online, and those things do honestly make me feel good, I, like everyone else, look different in pictures than I do in person. So as I said, although I appreciate every compliment, it's the real life, in person compliments that I REALLY care about, and I get zilch. Ever. That is something that definitely holds me back. Don't care if that sounds kind of shallow. Everyone knows it helps to have some outside encouragment. I'm not saying that I have no confidence. I'm just saying that there's only so much encouragment and appreciation I can give myself.

If any of that made sense...

Best I can do is not let myself feel down about the way I look. I tell myself that I like my appearance, but I probably don't feel that way 100% deep down. So I just have to try not to focus on it too much, otherwise I would be in big trouble. I like my personality, so I guess I can only hope I can wow people with that, haha

• A) My own confidence plays a major role in how I view myself - If you are truly okay with your looks you never have to compare it to anothers. You accept your flaws as a part of you and move on from them.

Of course how the opposite gender reacts to you can either boost your confidence or take it down a few notches. But when you truly feel confident you pay very little attention to what others say. Your opinion is the loudest and most meaningful of all.

I know I'm not ugly because I am okay with me, and I love looking in the mirror.

• im a very realistic person. there are certain traits of a face (and biological reasons behind it) that make it "beautiful"

i always thought I was ugly.

but recently I've been getting a lot of attention from guys and many of them (behind my back o.o) say how cute or hot I am.

and I'm always really flattered ^//^

• I don't consider myself ugly because I like the way I look.

• lol, well when you look in the mirror, do you like what you see? If you like what you see then you're definitely not ugly.

• I wonder this as well. I'm sorry I can't give an answer, because I don't think I'm not ugly, but I'd love to hear the insight of others.

• I'm glad you do not think you are ugly. Even though you could not exactly answer my question.. Self confidence in ones appearance is always good

• I've been told so on almost a daily basis since I was about 10. Plus I have never been asked out by or hit on by a guy. I've dated two guys-- one did it as a joke/dare from his friends and the other one I asked out, got rejected, and and to wait two years before he finally came around. If you add all that up, it points to me being ugly.

• Pls, don't think I'm a creeper lol I just looked at your profile photo. You are very pretty. Those guys were cruel for playing you like that for fun :/ don't let nasty people keep you from seeing yourself in the light that shows off your natural brilliance. If I could, I would tell you that you are in fact beautiful every day to make up for what has been said to you since you were 10. Well, just know that you certainly are not ugly.

• okay don't BASH my comment you guys: because I was made in God's image..again don't BASh please

• I don't think I'm ugly I think I'm rather above average looks wise but according to this short article we are all uglier than how we see ourselves go to cracked . C0m. and view this Article

article_19177_5-shocking-ways-you-overestimate-yourself.html

Which explains why some people think they look better int th mirror then in spicy tire your brain makes you look better int thE mirror when the picture shows you how you really look to everyone else

• Spicy tire? Major autocorrect lol I mean to say why some people think they look better in the mirror than in a picture

• i like the words spicy tire. it sounds like a sexy tire company

• I look into the mirror and nothing I see is really out of proportion to the point of NEEDING surgery on my face. Things aren't 100% symmetrical but they could be worse.

At most, I'm average, but I don't think I'm ugly. My face has no special whatever to it but it's average

• Simple, but yet an effective way of determining this

• I have gotten plenty of action so I'm sexy and I know it ;)

• I see what you did there haha. Without the action would you still consider yourself attractive or would think or have doubts about your appearance?

• Id be very emo if I didn't get any action :( but yeah I know I'm attractive because I have sexy hair

• Guys look at me..I don't know for what reasons or if I'm imagining it but it works for me.

• If I was 4 years younger and you lived in Ireland, I'd make a pervey comment and say your pretty damn cute

^^^see what I did there =)

If I rated girls out of 10, which I dont, you'd be an 8 1/2 out of ten

^^^see what I did again, I'm so clever

*pats self on head

• so so clever.:p

• I haven't made anybody run in the other direction...YET.