Hair Color: true or false?

For all of you who have dyed your hair before, is it true that if you have a light hair color and you dye it to a darker color, your original tone is ruined after that?

I've never dyed my hair because everybody has always told me that my hair color is great and almost impossible to get with products but I want a change, I have a grayish blonde hair and I want it darkish brown. I'll probably just do it once and after that return to my original. You think I might darken my original hair color or is that just a myth?

Most Helpful Girl

• My hair is naturally a light brown, and for about 3 years, I kept it dyed a deep red. It looked nice, yeah, but keeping up with the roots was such a pain, and after a while I just got sick of it. So, I dyed it back to my natural tone, and haven't changed its color since. It's certainly possible to get your old color back after you've dyed it, but it does take a while for it to get completely back to normal. I had to dye it slightly darker than my natural shade in order to properly cover the red, so it wasn't until that darker shade grew out that I got my real hair color back again. However, your new hair that grows in will be unaffected by any previous dye or bleach job.

as many compliments as you seem to be getting on your current hair color, though, I probably wouldn't change it. Blonde hair is especially difficult, you see, because in order to get it back from a darker color, you have to either bleach it and redye or just wait until it grows back in normally. And bleaching will make your hair very brittle and unhealthy. I've never known a blonde who dyed her hair and ever got it back to looking just how it used to without just cutting it off very short and waiting. Just a fair warning there.

• Yeah, decided I wouldn't dye it after all. Thanks for the warning though. =

What Guys Said 1

• I can't back this up since I've never dyed my hair, but I'll give you what I know about how hair grows.

Your hair that you see is a lot of dead cells. In fact it's a little like your finger nails. You can paint your nails and it doesn't change how they look as the continue to grow.

Weirdly enough my hair, if you look closely at the roots, is blond (the color it was in when I was a toddle), but the hair you see now is a medium to dark brown. It's the roots, hair follicles, that generate the hair and how it grows not the hair you see.

I have heard dying can damage your hair, or maybe it was just bleaching, can cause it to get damaged. Though I don't remember if damage to the follicle occurs or if it's just talking about the hair you can see begins to look bad. If it's the second case, then if you cut your hair all off, I'm not saying to do this just giving an example, then when the hair grew back it would be OK.

So that's what I know about hair. Given that I can't see how dying it would change it's color permanently.

What Girls Said 5

• My hair is dirty-blondish and i've coloured it darker, lighter, and even red. Colouring your hair will not affect the colour of your hair as it grows back. what it will do, from my experience, is dry out your hair a lot. Also, if you want to colour your hair, go for it, but it is pretty high maintenance to keep re-colouring roots. Also, it will take you a long time to get back to your natural hair colour (especially if you have long hair), not just because it might be hard to match the old colour, but because even if you do match it, dies tend to change over time and you will probably have to wait until hair that wasnt coloured grows and you have cut away all the coloured hair.

In summary, you can get your natural colour/hair back, but it takes time (a lot of time and is a pain in the ass). That said, it is fun to experiment, so I guess it just depends how much you want to try something new...

• Thanks. Way to high maintenance I think, at least for now, perhaps I'll try it later on. We'll see.

Thanks all of you for your input. =)

• Well i've dyed it but I never tried to get it back to my original color..But my hair hasn't lost its shine or it hasn't gotten ruined..But about the color tone I don't think its true because my friends have done it and their hair still looks the same..Also there's always hair treatment...But if I didn't answer your question then go to a hair place and ask..Good Luck..

• Trust me , I have dyed my hair so many times and I have been trying to get it back but it hasn't.. I don't think you can get the exact shade back unless you shave your head and start all over.

• My sister had really really light blond hair. She then died it a dark (really dark) brown, and then when the dark brown grew out, her hair didn't look the same. Still hasn't looked the same pretty light light blond it used to be, so I think it messes with your natural color a little. but it doesn't completeley destroy it.

• My suggest would be do not dye your hair!

I used to have a really beautiful hair, girls would be just jealous of the color it was brown with silver shine, it looked great. But I dyed them anyways, not only I ruined the color that I can't get back, but I lost like more than half of my hair. I really regret that for my stupidity.